Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    It's my bi-monthly anyone at Hull thread just incase we have some new members who are here!

ReputationRep:
    'lo Mark,

yea, i study at hull uni .. and i'm new here

ReputationRep:
    I'm not at Hull yet, but i've applied there for Law.

ReputationRep:
    i've applied hull too, for biomedical. got a interview on 5 dec. im going by train. is the uni very far from the station? do i need to catch any buses from the station to get there?

ReputationRep:
    I've applied for Spanish/Italian at Hull, not holding my breath though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nate)
    I'm not at Hull yet, but i've applied there for Law.
    I do Law, it's pretty good for the subject!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vavavoom86)
    i've applied hull too, for biomedical. got a interview on 5 dec. im going by train. is the uni very far from the station? do i need to catch any buses from the station to get there?
    It's a 15 minute bus ride but the bus station is closed for refurbishment.

I think you have to go to the Albion Street carpark to catch the bus - it's about a 10 minute walk from the station.

Either way there should be someone to help you when you arrive in Hull.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sorani)
    I've applied for Spanish/Italian at Hull, not holding my breath though.
    Should be ok, as it is undersubscribed they tend to let people in even if they miss the grades

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Revan)
    'lo Mark,

yea, i study at hull uni .. and i'm new here
    What do you do? Are you in halls?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mark_KK)
    I do Law, it's pretty good for the subject!
    Yeah, i don't really have any reservations about the course or university. But i do kinda worry about Hull itself, i've only been a couple of times and haven't really seen the city in full, is it really as bad as it's made out to be? without being biased

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nate)
    Yeah, i don't really have any reservations about the course or university. But i do kinda worry about Hull itself, i've only been a couple of times and haven't really seen the city in full, is it really as bad as it's made out to be? without being biased
    It's not bad aslong as you respect the fact that Saturday night is the locals night out. If you happen to venture out at this time of week don't advertise the fact that you are a student.

Student areas and nights are generally safe. It is however a very working class city and this does create some resentment towards students.

There have been running battles over the last year or two with Kosovans v locals. Sadly most of the Kosovans seem to be housed in student areas so it is not unheard of to look out of your window and see something resembling a local remake of Gangs of New York.

The old town is the nice part of the city and contains decent pubs and bars. The new town was savaged by a load of mad 60's and 70's architects and they have started to knock some of it down and rebuild it. 1 billion pounds worth of investment over the next 10 years or so they say. Time will tell...

We have a decent Rugby League side and a progressing football team. Both attract five figure crowds in a magnificant purpose built stadium. Last year The Sunday Times described the university as "One of the best kept secrets in higher education".

The uni is very good, it just doesn't get the recognition that it deserves because of the location and stigma attached to the city. If Hull were geographically more central it would attract a higher calibre of student and as a result be a top university. Having said that is is usually in the top 30 overall and rarley out of the top 10 for employability.

Law department is supposed to be very good and is actually regarded higher then both Lancaster and Newcastle where I also applied.

BTW whilst the uni is technically in Hull it is not really anywhere near the centre. Most of the halls of residence are in Cottingham, a small town about 3 or 4 miles away from the uni.

The city has a new website, the name says it all. tryhull.co.uk

ReputationRep:
    Why is Hull undersubscribed anyway? From what I've been told it's a nice uni.

ReputationRep:
    Let's just say the city of Hull itself hasn't got a sparkling reputation. But yeah, nice uni with a good reputation.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sorani)
    Why is Hull undersubscribed anyway? From what I've been told it's a nice uni.
    Because it (the city) is quite far off the beaten track.

Also once you are in Hull there is nothing for miles. It's not like Leeds where you go 20 mins down the road and you can be somewhere totally different.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mark_KK)
    What do you do? Are you in halls?
    first year LLB law student and no, i'm not in halls, private accomodation with 2 others.

and i got a big problem with that legal system essay ...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Revan)
    first year LLB law student and no, i'm not in halls, private accomodation with 2 others.

and i got a big problem with that legal system essay ...
    Why?

I did it and am worried that I didn't spend enough time discussing different legal theories. It read well and there was lots of fancy language but I am not sure if I really got to the crux of the matter. Having said that as it is non assesed it doesn't really matter. The contract essay seemed ok and as Peter Paulden would say I was "allright on that".

If you need any help send me a P.M. we could arrange to meet up or talk over the phone.

I am more worried about Legal Skills. 4500 words and then a 500 word learning log. I have chosen the terrorist essay and have done about 1100 words so far. The problem is not finding material to go on, but arranging it into some coherant manner.

ReputationRep:
    i live in cleethorpes across the river lol, but i dont study there.. or applied there.. too close to home!

Poll
Who do you think it's more helpful to talk about mental health with?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.