Bellej21
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
I’ve just started Year 13 so I’ve reached the point where I need to be deciding about universities and future plans. I don’t know what career I want to have or even what course I want to do at university. My targets are A*A*A (history, English and art) and many people (teachers and family) have encouraged me to take universities like Oxford and Cambridge into consideration. I’ve always been set against these because of the negative assumptions I’ve heard and also the difficult application process/interviews but I was wondering if maybe I should look into them (which I’d need to do soon)? I was just wondering is it worth bothering if I’m not that fussed about it? It seems to be what everyone else is telling me to look into but I always felt like unless I had a great desire to go to Oxbridge there wasn’t much point pursuing the idea? I didn’t know whether to just book an open day as there were a couple of courses I throught looked interesting or to not bother
Last edited by Bellej21; 1 week ago
The_Lonely_Goatherd
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Which subject would you hope to perhaps study there?
mpaprika
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
If you do want to apply, you need to decide the subject and write a personal statement because you have a deadline of 15 October
Oxford Mum
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
You shouldn’t apply just because others think you ought to go purely because of your a level grades
Bellej21
Rep:
?
(Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd)
Which subject would you hope to perhaps study there?
I was looking at 3 courses at Oxford:
Philosophy, politics and economics
Human sciences
Psychology, philosophy and linguistics
Last edited by Bellej21; 1 week ago
The_Lonely_Goatherd
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Bellej21)
I was looking at 3 courses:
Philosophy, politics and economics
Human sciences
Psychology, philosophy and linguistics
As has been said, you shouldn't apply under duress, or out of a sense that "you should" because you have the grades; that said, if there are any negative assumptions you've heard that we can reassure you on, myself and others would be happy to do that

Generally my advice to people would be not to apply if you are still weighing up subjects. As has been mentioned, there's the 15th October deadline and for PPE and PPL (not sure about Human Sciences) you have to register for the pre-interview tests (TSA for both those courses, I think). Oxford is an amazing place but hard work - you really need to be sure of the subject (as well as the course content and structure suiting your interests/preferences) before even starting to think about applying there, imho :yes:
Bellej21
Rep:
?
(Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd)
As has been said, you shouldn't apply under duress, or out of a sense that "you should" because you have the grades; that said, if there are any negative assumptions you've heard that we can reassure you on, myself and others would be happy to do that

Generally my advice to people would be not to apply if you are still weighing up subjects. As has been mentioned, there's the 15th October deadline and for PPE and PPL (not sure about Human Sciences) you have to register for the pre-interview tests (TSA for both those courses, I think). Oxford is an amazing place but hard work - you really need to be sure of the subject (as well as the course content and structure suiting your interests/preferences) before even starting to think about applying there, imho :yes:
Thankyou that’s really helpful as I hadn’t thought about things from that perspective
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Durham University
    Pre-Application Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 20 Sep '19
  • Loughborough University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 20 Sep '19
  • University of Oxford
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 20 Sep '19

What's your favourite genre?