Is medicine right for me?? Watch

Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Just give me as blunt an answer as possible.
I just want a cookie-cutter yes or no and an explanation of why you choose either.
GCSES
Mathematics-8
Chemistry-8
Biology-7
Physics-7
English Language-8
English Literature -7
Computer Science-7
History-9
Classics-7
Religious Education -8
A lot of people are probably going to say I'm "bragging" about my results which is not true.Medicine is quite a competitive course and these are not competitive grades especially compared to the grades others achieved on this site.
A-Levels
Biology
Chemistry
Mathematics
I am not gonna let the same mistake happen again where I just procrastinate and play League of Legends (although I did get diamond this season ) So I am gonna revise every single day and hopefully get A* for all three subjects. Becoming a Doctor is my dream so I will 100 percent put the effort in this time.

For Extracurriculars I found a volunterring job working for this care company so im gonna work at a carehome .
I also contacted this pharmacist and I think I can get a volunterring job there.
Gonna see if I can get a hospital placement.
I used to do debate mate.(not sure if this matters).

If your answer is yes what universities should I look at as I cannot choose GCSE intensive uni

Thanks

Sorry I know this question gets asked a lot on TSR but I genuinely want an answer.
ltsmith
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
my 2 cents; if you have to ask, then no.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by ltsmith)
my 2 cents; if you have to ask, then no.
I do I wrote Medicine is my dream.
I am just concerned about these GCSE results they do beat the entry requirement set out by Universities but i do not think they are enough.

bascially are these ok for medicine at an average or low ( I just want to get accepted by any tbh) med school and if so can you give examples

Thanks for the response anyway.
Mutmit287
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Just give me as blunt an answer as possible.
I just want a cookie-cutter yes or no and an explanation of why you choose either.
GCSES
Mathematics-8
Chemistry-8
Biology-7
Physics-7
English Language-8
English Literature -7
Computer Science-7
History-9
Classics-7
Religious Education -8
A lot of people are probably going to say I'm "bragging" about my results which is not true.Medicine is quite a competitive course and these are not competitive grades especially compared to the grades others achieved on this site.
A-Levels
Biology
Chemistry
Mathematics
I am not gonna let the same mistake happen again where I just procrastinate and play League of Legends (although I did get diamond this season ) So I am gonna revise every single day and hopefully get A* for all three subjects. Becoming a Doctor is my dream so I will 100 percent put the effort in this time.

For Extracurriculars I found a volunterring job working for this care company so im gonna work at a carehome .
I also contacted this pharmacist and I think I can get a volunterring job there.
Gonna see if I can get a hospital placement.
I used to do debate mate.(not sure if this matters).

If your answer is yes what universities should I look at as I cannot choose GCSE intensive uni

Thanks

Sorry I know this question gets asked a lot on TSR but I genuinely want an answer.
there is a whole forum for this...

my opinion= you have:
- passion for the subject
- good (although as you correctly pointed out probably average competition wise) GCSEs
- taking the right alevels
- willing to try hard and learn from previous mistake
- taking the initiative to get some work experience.
= medicine sounds like a great choice!!

realistically you have every chance. medicine applications nowadays are competitive, but if you work hard and apply to your strengths (and are willing to accept that it may take a few rejections/gap years) then you will be fine.

I would avoid Leeds, cardiff, Edinburgh, Oxford and st Andrews GCSE wise. most medical schools are moving towards ranking students via UCAT score, so most other places will not be out of reach - just do your research when the time comes.
ltsmith
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I do I wrote Medicine is my dream.
I am just concerned about these GCSE results they do beat the entry requirement set out by Universities but i do not think they are enough.

bascially are these ok for medicine at an average or low ( I just want to get accepted by any tbh) med school and if so can you give examples

Thanks for the response anyway.
apply with your strengths. there are quite a few medical schools that don't care about GCSEs that much (e.g. icl)
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Mutmit287)
there is a whole forum for this...

my opinion= you have:
- passion for the subject
- good (although as you correctly pointed out probably average competition wise) GCSEs
- taking the right alevels
- willing to try hard and learn from previous mistake
- taking the initiative to get some work experience.
= medicine sounds like a great choice!!

realistically you have every chance. medicine applications nowadays are competitive, but if you work hard and apply to your strengths (and are willing to accept that it may take a few rejections/gap years) then you will be fine.

I would avoid Leeds, cardiff, Edinburgh, Oxford and st Andrews GCSE wise. most medical schools are moving towards ranking students via UCAT score, so most other places will not be out of reach - just do your research when the time comes.
Thank you very much. I will check out the forum once I have time. I will revise for the UCAT and apply strategically at Universities that aren't GCSE intensive.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by ltsmith)
apply with your strengths. there are quite a few medical schools that don't care about GCSEs that much (e.g. icl)
Thank you very much will do
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top

It is really important for me to be involved in helping make my university better

Strongly disagree (2)
9.52%
Disagree (2)
9.52%
Neither agree or disagree (7)
33.33%
Agree (6)
28.57%
Strongly Agree (4)
19.05%

Watched Threads

Latest