The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by TasteLikeChicken
What a terrible thing to say.

OP, I'm going to be honest, it's going to be tough. Maybe just start wearing it more loosely, and transition to taking it off? I'm unsure how viable that is, because I know how crazy my parents would get if even a little bit of my sisters' hair was poking through their hijab in public.

I know I put it a little harshly, but I only wrote it like that because she only seems to worry about what people will think of her in her original post
Original post by 5hyl33n
And for those who are saying that it is a sin to take off a hijab, seriously? I don’t think you lot know the definition of a sin. As long as you are a good person, taking off the hijab doesn’t matter.

Yes, seriously. Modesty is a branch of faith, and covering is a branch of modesty. Modesty is extremely important in Islam, and we can see from observing Western society (as an archetypal but not exclusive example of) what happens when men and women no longer care about modesty to a significant degree - the way men and women speak, how men and women dress, how they court, promiscuity, etc etc, and this is all an extension of their general lack of fear, love and obedience to God.

The definition of sin is to do something which God has legislated against or otherwise would not approve of. Some sins are worse than others, yes, but a sin is a sin, and some are once off sins, and others (like not observing modest behaviour/clothing) are ongoing ones that will keep building up on one's list of deeds every day.
There are many many practicing Muslims who choose not to wear hijab

Original post by Salmasomegirl
I wore the hijab when I was 14 years old I am now 17 years old, the hijab was part of my choice and because my mother also told me that it was obligatory and that I should wear the hijab, so I agreed and wore the hijab, everything was good even when I was 16 years old now and I I am 17 years old.and I really wanna take it of ,I have been wanna that 2 years ago but I can't tell them iam really afraid of my mom's reaction and I don't know how to tell her ,I know she will be sad from me when i tell her but i wanna her to understand it my choise ,iam also scare of my relative's reaction I don't know what they will think about me and my friends and my teachers, ,I think the only one who will support me and agree with me is my old brother ,please tell me what I do ,I need your support and i don't want any negative comments, I really need your help, and I'm sure about my decision, I am Really need your support, thank you all

I would strongly suggest you take it off. You don’t need a silly bit of cloth on your head to be a decent person.
(edited 4 years ago)
I wore the hijab when I was 14 years old I am now 17 years old, the hijab was part of my choice and because my mother also told me that it was obligatory and that I should wear the hijab, so I agreed and wore the hijab, everything was good even when I was 16 years old now and I I am 17 years old.and I really wanna take it of ,I have been wanna that 2 years ago but I can't tell them iam really afraid of my mom's reaction and I don't know how to tell her ,I know she will be sad from me when i tell her but i wanna her to understand it my choise ,iam also scare of my relative's reaction I don't know what they will think about me and my friends and my teachers, ,I think the only one who will support me and agree with me is my old brother ,please tell me what I do ,I need your support and i don't want any negative comments, I really need your help, and I'm sure about my decision, I am Really need your support, thank you all

OP, this life is temporary.
Taking off the hijab will make you look more attractive and you will be more accepted by society but is it worth it?
Seriously think about it first. Think about why we wear it, think about how short this life is, think about what is worth doing and what will be beneficial for you in terms of the akhira.
The head covering is obligatory and we are ordered to wear it, not by men but by Allah (SWT.) By taking the hijab off, you would be directly going against Allah's orders. :frown:
Will be worth it?

It's never worth it. :redface:
Original post by BlueIndigoViolet

There are also many Muslims who choose to go against Allah (SWT)s direct orders and obligations.
There are Muslims that choose to drink and get tattoos and have sex before marriage etc but what is obligatory will remain obligatory regardless of what the majority do.
Original post by -Quava-
There are also many Muslims who choose to go against Allah (SWT)s direct orders and obligations.
There are Muslims that choose to drink and get tattoos and have sex before marriage etc but what is obligatory will remain obligatory regardless of what the majority do.

If you think that claiming to have had someone write something in a book, with zero evidence, is "direct", you need to consult a dictionary.

You want freedom of religion, but only for Muslims, where you define what a Muslim is. Please stop the controlling, judgemental rubbish.
Original post by 5hyl33n
Or she’s probably taking her hijab off 😂😂

Highly doubt that will have happened.
All us Muslim women get fooled by today's society once in a while with the women showing skin etc but the stronger of us never give in and considering that her family is practicing I am sure that kind of good influence will not let go astray.
Original post by RogerOxon
Did they vote for you? Didn't think so.

actually we did vote for her. thanks for your concern!
Just take it off tell her if God exists that he would want you to be happy also men should be able to control themselves with the hair on your head visible and the Quoran is a made-up book of fairytales.
I’m pretty sure Allah will forgive her for not wearing a scarf. There are bigger issues in the world and if people stopped focusing on silly issues like this, the world could be a better place.
Religion is slowly declining now anyway and I haven’t seen anyone who doesn’t wear a hijab being punished.

It's your life, to live as you want. Wearing or not wearing this garment is your choice, and yours alone. If relatives choose to think poorly of you for not wearing it, that, IMO, reflects more on them than you. Good luck.
Take it off, live your life
take that off your head then
Original post by BlueIndigoViolet

Iran is a terrible example because the majority of their society is irreligious and not practicing - only their government is considered "religious". Most of the people who come to UK from Iran are either cultural Muslims or apostates from my observations
Did they vote for you? Didn't think so.

It's called free speech. The fact that you take offense at this says more about you than them.

Many other Muslims are clearly looking down on her for not wanting to wear this garment.

No-ones looking down on her.
The Quraan describes the men and women of Islam as allies toward each other so when one of us needs help we are to give help. The entire Muslim Ummah is required to support, advise and lift one another up and not let each other be fooled by this temporary Dunya.

The fact that offense is taken is admirable. That poster clearly respects us hijabi women and that's the perfect attitude for a member of our Ummah to have.

The fact that you are okay with people calling our decisions 'silly' speaks a tonne about your character.
Original post by -Quava-
The fact that you are okay with people calling our decisions 'silly' speaks a tonne about your character.

It's not due to my character, but a reasoned assessment of Muslims' claimed reasons. Doing anything because an old book, with zero evidence for its claims, says that a god wants you to, is daft. It's also impossible to logically argue which of these old books to choose, other than by indoctrination. The fact that some Muslims are offended by this is their issue, not that of those stating a non-Islamic, reasoned opinion.

Telling others that they must follow said old book, or face vile consequences, is plain nasty.

The fact that you feel that you should attack the character of, or throw insults at, those that disagree with you, is an issue.
Reply 37
Just going to actually add to thread, unlike you lot. Anyway, whether you need to wear a hijab is actually pretty debated. Many scholars argue whether it is necessary, so it doesn't really matter whether you do - there is literally 0 consensus.
Original post by hoixw
Just going to actually add to thread, unlike you lot. Anyway, whether you need to wear a hijab is actually pretty debated. Many scholars argue whether it is necessary, so it doesn't really matter whether you do - there is literally 0 consensus.

Allah (SWT) made it obligatory for Muslim women to cover their bodies and their head. The debate is on the face covering. However, the body and head covering has been ordered clear cut in the Qur'aan.
Original post by jackrey_nolds
Well I mean she is correct, it is obligatory. Are you a practicing Muslim?

It’s no obligatory, people can wear it if they want.

Latest

Trending

Trending