MartinisSkip
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
I'm working on my dissertation atm, and was wondering what you all think about referencing a lecture.

It wasn't a normal lecture, but one with guest speakers who were discussing the topic in depth and with their own evidence and arguments. I was hoping to use some of their arguments and challenge them etc., but worried about what to do in terms of referencing. Obviously, I'm not planning on only using their works, since their talks were about 30 minutes each so there wasn't a great deal of info, but some of it was useful.

The thing is, the topic I'm writing on has very little written on it already, so it would be useful to cite these sources to then argue for/against. But, I'm not bothered either way, just wary of covering my back when it comes to plagiarism and all that jazz. I've looked online using the titles of the talks, but the work hasn't been written or anything, it was mainly powerpoint presentations. The person who gave the main presentation I'd like to use is a masters student who is doing their own dissertation on the same topic.

I'd be getting my own evidence too, but if I used some of the evidence they used and then said that it could be argued what they argue, should I be citing it? If so, how?
Last edited by MartinisSkip; 1 week ago
Random_Student
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by MartinisSkip)
I'm working on my dissertation atm, and was wondering what you all think about referencing a lecture.

It wasn't a normal lecture, but one with guest speakers who were discussing the topic in depth and with their own evidence and arguments. I was hoping to use some of their arguments and challenge them etc., but worried about what to do in terms of referencing. Obviously, I'm not planning on only using their works, since their talks were about 30 minutes each so there wasn't a great deal of info, but some of it was useful.

The thing is, the topic I'm writing on has very little written on it already, so it would be useful to cite these sources to then argue for/against. But, I'm not bothered either way, just wary of covering my back when it comes to plagiarism and all that jazz. I've looked online using the titles of the talks, but the work hasn't been written or anything, it was mainly powerpoint presentations. The person who gave the main presentation I'd like to use is a masters student who is doing their own dissertation on the same topic.

I'd be getting my own evidence too, but if I used some of the evidence they used and then said that it could be argued what they argue, should I be citing it? If so, how?
It depends. I’d email the people who gave the lectures and ask because I’ve had lectures who have specifically stated that if I were to use their work in any context in coursework, I’d reference their lecture but others who’ve marked my courseworks have pointed out that there is no need for this. So I’d email the people, ask if they mind me using their ideas and building up with your own in your dissertation and if so, do they think/want you to reference them.
Last edited by Random_Student; 1 week ago
MartinisSkip
Rep:
?
(Original post by Random_Student)
It depends. I’d email the people who gave the lectures and ask because I’ve had lectures who have specifically stated that if I were to use their work in any context in coursework, I’d reference their lecture but others who’ve marked my courseworks have pointed out that there is no need for this. So I’d email the people, ask if they mind me using their ideas and building up with your own in your dissertation and if so, do they think/want you to reference them.
Yeah, I was thinking about that. I was just wondering because as well, the lecture was at a different university to the one I'm at, so would it then still be an issue? I'm going to try and email, and probably ask my supervisor, but just trying to get some idea now because I won't get a reply until term starts.
gjd800
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Fill this out
MartinisSkip
Rep:
?
Thank you, this helps! I'm thinking I'm just going to reference it just to be on the safe side, I'm assuming I can't be discriminated against for citing it? I have time to check with my supervisor anyway, but thank you!
gjd800
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by MartinisSkip)
Thank you, this helps! I'm thinking I'm just going to reference it just to be on the safe side, I'm assuming I can't be discriminated against for citing it? I have time to check with my supervisor anyway, but thank you!
You're welcome. you won't be penalised for citing, and given that this was a guest speaker at a different institution, then I would say that you should cite it properly. I'd expect my students to cite it
MartinisSkip
Rep:
?
(Original post by gjd800)
You're welcome. you won't be penalised for citing, and given that this was a guest speaker at a different institution, then I would say that you should cite it properly. I'd expect my students to cite it
Yeah, that makes sense, thanks again!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Stirling
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Thu, 26 Sep '19
  • Heriot-Watt University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Scottish Borders Campus Undergraduate
    Fri, 27 Sep '19
  • Royal Holloway, University of London
    Undergraduate open day Undergraduate
    Sat, 28 Sep '19

Are you attending a Global Climate Strike?

Yes, I'm striking (19)
7.92%
No, but I wanted to/I support the cause (135)
56.25%
No (86)
35.83%

Watched Threads