Should i study every night?
Any other tips??
Thank You
Randomofo
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Hi I'm also a year 10 beginner. DANM THERE IS SO MUCH HOMEWORK lol. I've been studying for about an hour or so every night but will probably have to increase that soon. Just do everything you're asked to do plus your revision. Good luck x
smalogo
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by yusein 2005)
Hi!
I'm a Year 10 beginner and I need tips.
Any other tips??
Thank You
Hi I would recommend making your notes and revision materials when you finish a chapter in your GCSE's. If you stress now and study every night you may burn out and start procrastinating so a good way to start is to read all the notes you made in class every night for 20 minutes and if you dont understand something ask the teacher or use online resources and then gradually ease yourself into half an hour then 45 minutes then an hour and by January-March you should already be completing an 45 minutes or an hour a day but do take breaks. I know many people who went straight into an hour or 2 a day and burned themselves out before May so unless you are already used to do an hour or two a day in year 9 then you will be fine. If not then start slowly.

For English Literature i highly recommend doing past papers on every chapter and doing at least 2 a week so that way the exam material wont be shocking. Also start that from now.

I also will recommend not listening to others who say they study 6 hours a day because they are not studying smartly. Dont listen to all the people who say "year 10 mocks mean nothing" because they do since most colleges base it on that and revising for the year 10 ones gives you a good base for the november mocks.
Revision tips i recommend cue cards and mind maps and try to find a revision technique that suits you.
If you have any more questions dont hesitate to ask. Good Luck
d.7033
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Hi!
Any other tips??
Thank You
tip from a year 11, MAKE REVISION NOTES !!! and as for maths make sure to do LOTSSS of practice for the topics they give u this year, u can self-study if u want to, but dont stress !!! study everyday and increase ur study hours as u progress into the year, use the revision notes as a preview for finals,make sure the revision notes include everything in the syllabus for that specific topic, i would recommend printing the syllabus appendix and studying what they say you should understand in depth ofc , if u study very well and pass this year, u wont stress so much in year 11 !! make a study timetable and preview your material before class, would help lotsssss to stick in your mind, bru dont forget to take short breaks !!! anyways good luck (:
yusein 2005
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
(Original post by smalogo)
Hi I would recommend making your notes and revision materials when you finish a chapter in your GCSE's. If you stress now and study every night you may burn out and start procrastinating so a good way to start is to read all the notes you made in class every night for 20 minutes and if you dont understand something ask the teacher or use online resources and then gradually ease yourself into half an hour then 45 minutes then an hour and by January-March you should already be completing an 45 minutes or an hour a day but do take breaks. I know many people who went straight into an hour or 2 a day and burned themselves out before May so unless you are already used to do an hour or two a day in year 9 then you will be fine. If not then start slowly.

For English Literature i highly recommend doing past papers on every chapter and doing at least 2 a week so that way the exam material wont be shocking. Also start that from now.

I also will recommend not listening to others who say they study 6 hours a day because they are not studying smartly. Dont listen to all the people who say "year 10 mocks mean nothing" because they do since most colleges base it on that and revising for the year 10 ones gives you a good base for the november mocks.
Revision tips i recommend cue cards and mind maps and try to find a revision technique that suits you.
If you have any more questions dont hesitate to ask. Good Luck
Some books stay at school though. What should I do ?
smalogo
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
At my school we had the choice to take our schoolbooks home if you asked the teacher so if you can take the notebooks home than use the classwork you did and make notes and revision materials. Im sure your teachers will let you take the schoolbooks home. If its textbooks that you cant take back home then you should buy CGP revision guides as they are really useful for revision. In fact i recommend buying CGP science book and english literature and maths books. They are really good to revise and work in and make notes but most of all ask to take your classwork books home to revise in.
ᴍᴜsᴋᴀɴ
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
I just did my GCSEs and honestly, make sure you don't put pressure on yourself. I had three mocks before my GCSEs and on the first, I panicked too much in the middle of the exam since I had high expectations for myself and ended up feeling disappointed. I did a lot better on the other two when I was calmer, like my average improved a lot just by my mood, so remember to not stress yourself out. Ofc, don't waste you're time, but try you're best to balance the two.

People revise differently, so I'll say what worked for me tbh, but you might have another way of revising. There isn't a correct way. but you can save some time if you do it effectively. If you're going to be making notes, I suggest doing them over time throughout year 10 since you might not have the time in year 11. In year 11, you're teachers might be trying to finish of teaching the content and focus on exam questions or smth. Make them neat in a way, since I just naturally pay more attention idk y, but not to the point ur going to make it look like Picasso's paintings. It is time-consuming and you might concentrate more on making it neat than actually revising. I started at the beginning of that year and finished most of it by the end of the year, but just reading over them only isn't that effective. I.e I did AQA for all my sciences (btw if you do that board you shpukd get the collins textbooks for the questions, it's useful for remembering things) so I just read the pages and answer all the questions. I never really did audio kind of revision, because I can't sit and listen to some monotone voice for an hr and I get bored. I tried flashcards,in science - I did triple -and I'd end uo writing so much on one, or if I wrote a bit, I would have too many which felt a bit invonvenient.

In terms of organising time, I never had timetables: anything happens during the day and I just feel a bit restricted. Planning can be effective if you're not too extra, it isn't realistic to expect youself to not procrastinate occasionally. Instead, set a couple of tasks to do in the day, and whenver you have the time, you complete them before the end of the day. This was useful for me since I did a lot of things outside of school, so I didn't have to feel like I wasn't productive or exhausted either. I tried another thing recentlu where I would have 8hrs of sleep, study and the rest with whatever I want. It's kind if a new thing but so far it seems decent because it fits with a realistic way of managing you're time. Btw, when you study, I wouldn't reccomend listening to music because although ppl like it, ideally you would want to get used to a quiet environment. You don't need to study every day, just as long as what you're doing for revision is effective. There is no easy way of being able to do well, even if some ppl look like they r born smart doesn't mean they don't do anything to be abke to stay smart.

The other thing that you shouldn't do is cram or study for a long time. I can concentrate well but the max would do is 90 mins and a 20-30 mins break. Then I'd continue.

I sometimes have times when I want to binge watch something on my phone, so I normally have a day where I do no studying at all each week and it takes of some stress tbh.

I don't know what else to say, but good luck with everthing! ^-^
RaisingMyDonger
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
I'm just coming into A level and to all YR10 students reading this: START NOW.

Now, don't burn yourself out now doing excessive revision or trying to plan for topics in the future. Seriously, even half an hour a day is no slouch when starting year 10, but do increase the length over time and I can promise you that GCSE's will be a cake walk. Enjoy the journey; its one to remember and one you'll want to relive, especially if you do well by preparing now
hannahhubbardd
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 42 minutes ago
Hi!
Any other tips??
Thank You
Hey, I've just started and year 11 and I can tell you from my experience; do not stress!! Everyone makes it out that you should do so much work in year 10 but in reality I would recommend of course doing all of your homework on the night it's set and maybe looking over class notes each day, just spending 10 minutes reading what you wrote in class and making notes on post-its what you didn't understand so you can ask your teacher the next day or something.

The best advice i can give is making sure you know all your year 10 content before year 11 because you do not have time in year 11 to go over everything you did in year 10. A good like hack that you'll thank yourself for in the future is spending time now after you've learned a topic in any subject, is just making notes on that topic. Spend the time to make them look pretty and all that just as long as you have the information down in notes whilst it's fresh in your mind.

I've just started year 11 and i'm making all my notes from last year now and i wish i spent the time last year doing it because I fell like there's so much information to cover, if you have some notes already prepared it would give you a leg up for when you start year 11.

Of course this is all optional and I can't stress enough how much time you have! Just enjoy year 10 don't worry about GCSE's as long as you understand the information your learning and doing ALL your homework you have nothing to worry about.

Hope this helps <3
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top

University open days

• University of Stirling
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Thu, 26 Sep '19
  • Heriot-Watt University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Scottish Borders Campus Undergraduate
    Fri, 27 Sep '19
  • Royal Holloway, University of London
    Undergraduate open day Undergraduate
    Sat, 28 Sep '19

Are you attending a Global Climate Strike?

Yes, I'm striking (38)
7.47%
No, but I wanted to/I support the cause (298)
58.55%
No (173)
33.99%

Watched Threads