Is it possible to get into a top uni after retaking A levels? Watch

toto33432222222
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Alright, don't laugh... I got CDE in Biology, Maths and Physics.

I'm retaking them all hoping to get AAA, however I may only be predicted ABB/BBB (which is more than fair tbh).

I normally get A/B in Biology and Maths mock exams however I just crumbled in the real exams, Physics I deserve what I got.

I was wondering if it were possible to get an offer from a decent uni like Manchester, Queen Mary, Surrey or Southampton for an economics related course which are normally at AAB/ABB.

On all their websites it says it accepts retakes but I'm worried they'll just straight up reject me after seeing my grades. Other retakers probably only have to go up 1 or 2 grades, whereas I need an overhaul.

My personal statement is looking good but it's just the grades I am worried about

only serious answers please
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
If they say that they consider resits then they mean that. They don’t lie about their requirements.
diancie
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I think you have a high chance of getting an offer from Surrey, I got an offer with BBB grades
replyplzbish
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by toto33432222222)

I'm retaking them all hoping to get AAA, however I may only be predicted ABB/BBB (which is more than fair tbh).

I normally get A/B in Biology and Maths mock exams however I just crumbled in the real exams, Physics I deserve what I got.

I was wondering if it were possible to get an offer from a decent uni like Manchester, Queen Mary, Surrey or Southampton for an economics related course which are normally at AAB/ABB.

On all their websites it says it accepts retakes but I'm worried they'll just straight up reject me after seeing my grades. Other retakers probably only have to go up 1 or 2 grades, whereas I need an overhaul.

My personal statement is looking good but it's just the grades I am worried about

My friend is going to York to do Economics and they got BBB. Think you need AAB predictions for them though. I think the best thing to do would probably be to apply for safer unis who need ABB or lower. In clearing if you get AAA for example there will be options available for places you can go to in clearing (I know I had a friend looking at loughborough, nottingham, bristol, york) this year. I think a lot of unis want to see your predicted grades meeting their entry requirements and might reject you straight up if you don't have the right predicted grades.
swanseajack1
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by toto33432222222)

I normally get A/B in Biology and Maths mock exams however I just crumbled in the real exams, Physics I deserve what I got

Going from a grade E to a grade B or A would be very unusual and I doubt you will increase your grades by 6 grades. Normally grades
increase by 1 or at most 2 in a subject. Whilst I can see you turning Biology into a B and possibly your Maths I cannot see you getting that kind of improvement. I dont see you getting into Manchester who tend to strict over grades. However the others are possibilities although my gut feeling is you wont get. Can you possibly look at 2 universities offering BBC which you could likely reach or will be accepted in if you do not reach those grades. Is it possible to fact track a different A level to Physics you could do well like say Economics or Business.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Durham University
    Pre-Application Open Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 21 Sep '19
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Day - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 21 Sep '19
  • Loughborough University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 21 Sep '19

Are you attending a Global Climate Strike?

Yes, I'm striking (8)
6.4%
No, but I wanted to/I support the cause (70)
56%
No (47)
37.6%

Watched Threads