Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
So I'm due to start uni in a week and I've started thinking career-wise.
If I want to get into the career path I want (legal), I have to start early and I have to be damn good.

I've been using LinkedIn a lot recently and have noticed that everyone seems to have started attending events and networking very early. I found a girl from my country (which is insanely tiny, so this is a huge coincidence) who's starting the same subject as me at the same university. Then I noticed that she had already attended a careers event with a bunch of law firms a couple of days ago (through Bright network, a recruitment agency). This got me absolutely terrified, as I realized I would actually have to interact with people and utilize social skills (of which I have none).

I've always been a complete social recluse. I was well-liked by people at my school and was friendly with everyone I knew, but very rarely interacted with them. The only guy I frequently talked to in person was a classmate who I only spoke to with while I was at school.

Although I'm often told I'm very charismatic when making presentations to larger numbers of people, I can't look people in the eyes while talking to them and I'm often too scared to say anything out of fear that I might say something dumb and embarrass myself (this only occurs when talking to a single person, oddly enough. When I'm addressing a crowd, I don't feel anxious at all).

Is there any hope for me? Has anyone else made it into the legal field with crap social skills?
kkboyk
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
If I want to get into the career path I want (legal), I have to start early and I have to be damn good.

I've been using LinkedIn a lot recently and have noticed that everyone seems to have started attending events and networking very early. I found a girl from my country (which is insanely tiny, so this is a huge coincidence) who's starting the same subject as me at the same university. Then I noticed that she had already attended a careers event with a bunch of law firms a couple of days ago (through Bright network, a recruitment agency). This got me absolutely terrified, as I realized I would actually have to interact with people and utilize social skills (of which I have none).

I've always been a complete social recluse. I was well-liked by people at my school and was friendly with everyone I knew, but very rarely interacted with them. The only guy I frequently talked to in person was a classmate who I only spoke to with while I was at school.

Although I'm often told I'm very charismatic when making presentations to larger numbers of people, I can't look people in the eyes while talking to them and I'm often too scared to say anything out of fear that I might say something dumb and embarrass myself (this only occurs when talking to a single person, oddly enough. When I'm addressing a crowd, I don't feel anxious at all).

Is there any hope for me? Has anyone else made it into the legal field with crap social skills?

Force yourself to go to networking events and talk to people. Beforehand you should do some extensive research on companies that will be present (if it is a big events with numerous attendees), or of the company which you are attending their networking events. Research potential roles they offer, and then come up with questions you want to ask them. There are some good videos on youtube.

Eye contact is very important, you should always maintain it to make sure that the person knows you are interested in the conversation and are listening. I used to be the same, until I went back to Spain and Portugal, where there really is no concept of 'awkwardness' and breaking eye contacting was deemed rude. Since I didnt want to offend people I kept doing my best to maintain eye contact, and eventually got used to it. Best way to get used to is to speak to people (family, friends, lecturers strangers etc) and ALWAYS maintain eye contact.
mgi
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Anonymous)

Yes, loads of people have! But lets look at your problems: You say you are a recluse; i don't believe recluses are ever happy. We humans are social beings. I am glad that you recognise that you are quite charismatic and a good speaker. A good start! So why do you get so obsessed with what you see as your weaknesses? Force yourself to learn good convo skills including eye contact and the occasional smile! Its actually quite similar to making public presentations which you are good at.The reason why you are terrified of social things is that you focus on 2 bad things: what people think of you and what are the latest bad useless things you have done! So, what you do is remind yourself that these things are not about you. It's about showing genuine interest in other people and also ,if you are presenting, giving some info. to the audience! Its not about you! And remember, what people say or think behind your back is none of your business! lol. So forget about that! Hope this helps you?
Notoriety
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Go to gym, get 10/10. Make Mohammed go to the mountain.
JohanGRK
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Find work in a customer-facing role in retail

That'll warm you up
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Just ask people questions and listen to the answers and show a genuine interest in what people say. Lots of people who say they like networking just use it to get a captive audience to monologue at because they’re self obsessed bores.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top

University open days

• University of Stirling
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Thu, 26 Sep '19
  • Heriot-Watt University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Scottish Borders Campus Undergraduate
    Fri, 27 Sep '19
  • Royal Holloway, University of London
    Undergraduate open day Undergraduate
    Sat, 28 Sep '19

Are you attending a Global Climate Strike?

Yes, I'm striking (18)
7.69%
No, but I wanted to/I support the cause (131)
55.98%
No (85)
36.32%

Watched Threads