Bsc Dental tech Bolton uni 2020???

Watch this thread
This discussion is closed.
Carmelvw99
Badges: 9
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hi is anyone applying for Dental tech and Bolton university for next year???
Nazbe
Badges: 7
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 2 years ago
I've applied. Have an interview tomorrow. Have you had an interview yet?
Last edited by Nazbe; 2 years ago
Carmelvw99
Rep:
(Original post by Nazbe)
I've applied. Have an interview tomorrow. Have you had an interview yet?
Oh good luck! It’s super easy! I had my interview early February and I’ve already been offered a place on the course. Did you apply late? I’ve put Bolton as my insurance place as I’ve been offered a place at UCLan to study a BSc Clinical Dental technology. The interview was fine and fairly easy, practice your wire bending 😉
Nazbe
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
I chose a later interview date to buy me time to practice for my interview. Super nervous! Because of the current situation it looks like I will be having an over the phone interview. Not sure how this is going to work because I haven't heard back from them yet.

How long was your interview did you have to do a 10min presentation? What was yours about?
Carmelvw99
Rep:
(Original post by Nazbe)
I chose a later interview date to buy me time to practice for my interview. Super nervous! Because of the current situation it looks like I will be having an over the phone interview. Not sure how this is going to work because I haven't heard back from them yet.

How long was your interview did you have to do a 10min presentation? What was yours about?
Well my interview was before everything got put on lockdown. I worked in the dental laboratory in the university and would see the teachers everyday so that probably helped getting my place. My presentation was cancelled, the teachers were called for an emergency meeting (about corona and the lockdown) so we were all given some paper and asked to write about what the attributes of a dental technician are and why we would be a good one. We also had to pour up a dental impression, recreate a tooth with clay and do wire bending. It was a good day, we didn’t have an interview as such though we were never asked any questions. It was really easy and I met some good friends however when I was offered the place at UCLan it was no brainier for me as it’s a better qualification. Good luck though I’m sure u will be fine x
Nazbe
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Carmelvw99)
Well my interview was before everything got put on lockdown. I worked in the dental laboratory in the university and would see the teachers everyday so that probably helped getting my place. My presentation was cancelled, the teachers were called for an emergency meeting (about corona and the lockdown) so we were all given some paper and asked to write about what the attributes of a dental technician are and why we would be a good one. We also had to pour up a dental impression, recreate a tooth with clay and do wire bending. It was a good day, we didn’t have an interview as such though we were never asked any questions. It was really easy and I met some good friends however when I was offered the place at UCLan it was no brainier for me as it’s a better qualification. Good luck though I’m sure u will be fine x
Pretty much a similar style of question i have to present too. Would you say i should state the skills of a dental tech and link it with my experience?
Carmelvw99
Rep:
(Original post by Nazbe)
Pretty much a similar style of question i have to present too. Would you say i should state the skills of a dental tech and link it with my experience?
Yes! Any experience you have, what a dental technician does and how you would fit the role. Explain exactly what they do, how they assist the dentist and work within the dental team
Nazbe
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
Examples? 😁
Nazbe
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
I got a place on to dental tech at Bolton today . I haven't actually been to the university. How did you find it?
From my experience they are poor on communicating. Never answers their calls, cant leave a messages because their voicemail box is always full. And they never answer to emails.

The interview I had the other week, never happened. They didn't even email to say it was to be cancelled. They rearranged another interview date. But yesterday I only randomly got updated
on UCAS that I have a conditional place on the course. Just need to emails my certificates🤔

Now I'm doubting whether it's the right place for me..🤔

How did you find the university of Bolton?
Carmelvw99
Rep:
(Original post by Nazbe)
I got a place on to dental tech at Bolton today . I haven't actually been to the university. How did you find it?
From my experience they are poor on communicating. Never answers their calls, cant leave a messages because their voicemail box is always full. And they never answer to emails.

The interview I had the other week, never happened. They didn't even email to say it was to be cancelled. They rearranged another interview date. But yesterday I only randomly got updated
on UCAS that I have a conditional place on the course. Just need to emails my certificates🤔

Now I'm doubting whether it's the right place for me..🤔

How did you find the university of Bolton?
Hi, sorry I’ve only just seen your replies.
Me personally I worked at the dental laboratory (sparkle) at the university for a few weeks before lockdown. I learnt a lot and I believe the university is a good university for the course. It has a lot there, excellent tutors and very good facilities. You will get hands on experience as you will be able to work in the laboratory. Employers want someone who has that work experience. I believe you cover a certain amount of hours work experience each year. However, the communication was bad. My interview went completely different to what they said would happen which didn’t sit well with me. I felt it was all over the place. The communication for my interview was shocking. But I believe the course is a good course. I met a girl in her final year and she enjoyed it. She said it felt more like college than university as you are in a desperate building off campus. It doesn’t have a large amount of people on the course and you are in classrooms rather than lecture halls. Me personally i felt that because I’ve spent years preparing and deciding what I wanted to do at uni I wanted the full experience. I wanted to be at university and not feel like it was like being at college. I wanted to go into halls etc. It’s up to you and it depends what u want from the university. Like I said me personally I was happy to be offered a dual degree and be able to become a clinical dental technician rather than just a dental technician. Many technicians spend thousands of pounds to do that top up degree as that is where the big money in your job comes from. I would of gone to Bolton if I hadn’t been accepted at UCLan and Bolton is still my insurance choice on UCAS for this year 😃 good luck!
Nazbe
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Carmelvw99)
Hi, sorry I’ve only just seen your replies.
Me personally I worked at the dental laboratory (sparkle) at the university for a few weeks before lockdown. I learnt a lot and I believe the university is a good university for the course. It has a lot there, excellent tutors and very good facilities. You will get hands on experience as you will be able to work in the laboratory. Employers want someone who has that work experience. I believe you cover a certain amount of hours work experience each year. However, the communication was bad. My interview went completely different to what they said would happen which didn’t sit well with me. I felt it was all over the place. The communication for my interview was shocking. But I believe the course is a good course. I met a girl in her final year and she enjoyed it. She said it felt more like college than university as you are in a desperate building off campus. It doesn’t have a large amount of people on the course and you are in classrooms rather than lecture halls. Me personally i felt that because I’ve spent years preparing and deciding what I wanted to do at uni I wanted the full experience. I wanted to be at university and not feel like it was like being at college. I wanted to go into halls etc. It’s up to you and it depends what u want from the university. Like I said me personally I was happy to be offered a dual degree and be able to become a clinical dental technician rather than just a dental technician. Many technicians spend thousands of pounds to do that top up degree as that is where the big money in your job comes from. I would of gone to Bolton if I hadn’t been accepted at UCLan and Bolton is still my insurance choice on UCAS for this year 😃 good luck!
How is it going? How are you finding the course? We have one full day of practicals and another full of lectures. Two days a week at the moment. I'd love to know how you are getting on =D
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Y13's - If you haven't confirmed your firm and insurance choices yet, why is that?

I am waiting until the deadline in case anything in my life changes (19)
20.88%
I am waiting until the deadline in case something else changes (e.g. exams/pandemic related concerns) (11)
12.09%
I am waiting until I can see the unis in person (5)
5.49%
I still have more questions before I make my decision (15)
16.48%
No reason, just haven't entered it yet (22)
24.18%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (19)
20.88%

Watched Threads