The Student Room Group

Freshers Fair and Icebreaker?

Ive been getting a lot of emails about both of these and I don't quite understand as the emails make it sound like I have to go but theyre not course related so I don't get if its actually mandatory?
I have been wondering the same lol!
Icebreaker is a commercial event that pays people commission for encouraging others to go. That means a lot of pressure selling.

Freshers fair is usually just a bunch of stalls from departments, clubs/societies and businesses giving away freebies and information. It’s worth attending usually if you’re free.
But they're not mandatory, right? aside from my induction sessions I don't have to waste my time going? I really dont see the point in them.
Original post by LittleMrsMoody
But they're not mandatory, right? aside from my induction sessions I don't have to waste my time going? I really dont see the point in them.

If you’re hoping to make friends and try new things while you’re studying then I would recommend going to freshers fair.

Most of the best things in life aren’t mandatory.
The Freshers Fayre and Icebreaker sessions are designed to ease you into student life. You are not obliged to attend either of them, though there may be course related taster sessions on your timetable that are mandatory but it depends on your university/SU.

The Freshers Fayre, as advised above is a mixture of stalls and entertainment where local businesses give you deals and discounts to use as a student. There's usually a lot of freebies to grab too and your university clubs and society representatives will also be there where you can find out more about what they offer and how you can sign up. If you're interested in joining one, it is worth going as you'll get to meet the current members and get a real insight into what to expect.

The icebreaker sessions, again are designed to help you meet new people and make some connections.
I'm not going to be joining any clubs or societies anyway. Id rather stay in and study or take a nap. Its not why I'm going to Uni.
Reply 7
Ive been getting a lot of emails about both of these and I don't quite understand as the emails make it sound like I have to go but theyre not course related so I don't get if its actually mandatory?

Just stay in your room lol
Reply 8
I'm not going to be joining any clubs or societies anyway. Id rather stay in and study or take a nap. Its not why I'm going to Uni.

You should at least join a careers society as you'll then have something to put on your CV
Original post by Isaia
Just stay in your room lol

that's what I plan on doing. Hanging in the living room studying with a cuppa sounds better than making "connections " I will never tal to again.
Original post by PQ
If you’re hoping to make friends and try new things while you’re studying then I would recommend going to freshers fair.

Most of the best things in life aren’t mandatory.

Freshers fair honestly sounds more like a nightmare than a best thing.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending