LAW - Solicitor “Super-Exam” - SQE in UK Watch

Cayo
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Does anyone know exactly what the SQE will replace? Will it be a super exam you take after you get your LLB or your GDL, and it will replace the costly LPC? When will it come into effect? It seems they keep pushing back the dates and not stating costs or the timeline it will have.

Any insight on this from people in this field in the UK would be extremely beneficial, thank you!!

(I’m in the US doing my bachelors and planning to go to do a GDL starting fall 2020 and this SQE situation and changes being talked of are worrying me somewhat, any clarifications extremely welcome)
harrysbar
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Moved to the Law forum
JohanGRK
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Cayo)
Does anyone know exactly what the SQE will replace? Will it be a super exam you take after you get your LLB or your GDL, and it will replace the costly LPC? When will it come into effect? It seems they keep pushing back the dates and not stating costs or the timeline it will have.

Any insight on this from people in this field in the UK would be extremely beneficial, thank you!!

(I’m in the US doing my bachelors and planning to go to do a GDL starting fall 2020 and this SQE situation and changes being talked of are worrying me somewhat, any clarifications extremely welcome)
Do they not have Google Search in the US?
DCDCo
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by JohanGRK)
Do they not have Google Search in the US?
Painful ey.
Cayo
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Of course I looked it up, however certain articles explain it will even replace the GDL, and I’m about to apply for it now and I would enter the GDL program in 2020 so I am not sure if it will be worth it or convenient any longer. Plus I’m trying to understand how much I will spend becoming a lawyer, for now it’s the year’s GDL cost plus the year’s LPC cost. In no formal way have I found the cost of the SQE or it’s timeline.

So if someone could give me advice on that, I would be thankful.
Notoriety
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
You asked what will the SQE replace. Meaning, what is the current system.

This is so easily found via a quick Google. It replaces a) qualifying law degrees and the LPC and b) GDLs and the LPC. NB the system for barristers is unchanged; meaning the GDL still exists for them.

Your posts are so confusing. Tip: simple and short questions.
17Student17
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
The qustion is very relevant and the informaqtion being given by the institutions is totally inadequnate at present. They do not even have their 2020 brochures and prices up yet but people apply from 1 Oct 2020 for those courses. It is not acceptable.

We know BPP will be offering a new version GDL which will be appropriate for the SQE system from Sept 2020 and I understand if you choose not to use the SQE route the course will still be okay albeit changed to suit the SQE (shorter, but covering company law). The fees are not yet clear even though people apply as soon as 2 weeks' time. University of Law have not yet said what will be available.

Good point above about barristers- so with BPP form Sept 2020 they will be forced into an SQE written GDL programme as will potential solicitors who are choosing in the transitional year to stick with the current system. As far as I know BPP will not be offering alongside their new GDL the old style one.

On qhen the SQE would be taken I had assumed if you did the new GDL iun Sept 2020 you would take SQE 1 in summer 2021. BPP told me different on the phone but I am not sure I believe them. i thikn the reason their new GD: ends very early in April 2021 is so that people can go off and pay for and register with an SQE course and pay the new fee to Kaplan for that before they start the LPC. BPP have said the LPC will still be available for those who start their new GDL in September 2020. I know even less about what UoL plan for 2020.

I do know that Linklaters' trainees who are non law graduates will continue in the old system in September 2020 so do the GDL etc (no SQE) and presumably as they are with the University of Law, UoL probably offer the existing GDL but we are not sure yet.

In my view if you do the GDL under the old system from September 2020 without the SQE and then do the LPC that wll probably be best as why be a guinea pig and why put yourself in for exams with two different bodies and two sets of fees if you don't have to. Better the devil you know. If you have a chance of a training contarct with a City law firm who will pay your course fees then you don't need to worry about any of this as they will decide under what system you qualify. If not then 2020 will be a transiational year and you have the choice of old style system or new style - even so you probably would do the GDL and then take SQE1 I assume in summer 2021 , but perhaps people will do SQE1 and 2 at the end of the LPC????
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Stirling
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Thu, 26 Sep '19
  • Heriot-Watt University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Scottish Borders Campus Undergraduate
    Fri, 27 Sep '19
  • Royal Holloway, University of London
    Undergraduate open day Undergraduate
    Sat, 28 Sep '19

Are you attending a Global Climate Strike?

Yes, I'm striking (19)
7.98%
No, but I wanted to/I support the cause (133)
55.88%
No (86)
36.13%

Watched Threads