kiran1729
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
I need some advice from you guys as doctors or at least undergoing housemanship. I am thinking of doing medicine. I want to get reality check on what its like being a doctor on a daily basis and what I should and should not expect.
Democracy
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by kiran1729)
I need some advice from you guys as doctors or at least undergoing housemanship. I am thinking of doing medicine. I want to get reality check on what its like being a doctor on a daily basis and what I should and should not expect.
What would you like to know specifically?
TheRealSaifali
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
you can find this out by watching Ali Abdaal’s youtube channel in-which he shares his life, as going from med student at cambridge to F1 & F2.
kiran1729
Rep:
?
(Original post by Democracy)
What would you like to know specifically?
Is it true that its a tiring job with no proper time to spend with family during weekends. How important are the roles played by other people like the nurses when working in a hospital. How would studying medicine change me as a person? How are you treated when you were a trainee doctor? What problems did you face when doing the practical stuff(everything apart from studying)?

I am sooo sorry if it sounds like a lot but I've gotta know what I'll be doing for the rest of my life indept haha.
kiran1729
Rep:
?
(Original post by TheRealSaifali)
you can find this out by watching Ali Abdaal’s youtube channel in-which he shares his life, as going from med student at cambridge to F1 & F2.
Hi!! Thank you. Will check that out.
Anonymous #1
Report 1 week ago
I'm not a doctor but I've done my research. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

It is a very rewarding, stable and respected job. Very varied. People often say there is a speciality for everyone with 60+ specialties.

It is a very high pressured job, long hours and unsociable hours.

What it is like on a daily basis depends on your speciality and what stage of training you are at
kiran1729
Rep:
?
(Original post by Anonymous)
I'm not a doctor but I've done my research. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

It is a very rewarding, stable and respected job. Very varied. People often say there is a speciality for everyone with 60+ specialties.

It is a very high pressured job, long hours and unsociable hours.

What it is like on a daily basis depends on your speciality and what stage of training you are at
Cool!! Would you know how it is like as a trainee doctor?
Anonymous #1
Report 1 week ago
Cool!! Would you know how it is like as a trainee doctor?
pretty damn hard. Lots of exams still, long hours, feeling out of your depths a lot of the time. I suppose it is different for everyone but the vast majority of people find it really tough going from med school to FY1. It's a big step up. Depends if you really think you are cut out for it. It isn't just about the course and enjoying science or wanting to help people- there are other things you can do to do that. It is obviously really rewarding though. Do you cope well under pressure? because it is a lot.
Democracy
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Is it true that its a tiring job with no proper time to spend with family during weekends
At certain times this will be true. It isn't true for the entirety of your career however. You can enter a specialty with more manageable hours and/or work less than full time. But yes, at certain times there is no getting away from the fact that you will work nights, weekends, long hours, have really tough exams etc and that will impact on your family and social life.

How important are the roles played by other people like the nurses when working in a hospital.
I mean, nurses, physios, OTs, radiographers, scientists, porters, etc are all necessary and important in what they do. I am not qualified to do any of their jobs and I wouldn't presume to say that I am. A hospital can't function with doctors alone.

There shouldn't be a hierarchy of importance - everybody has an important role to play (but equally, it's silly to suggest that non-medics can go on a short course and then do "the same job" as a junior doctor).

How would studying medicine change me as a person?
Probably depends on what you're like as a person What sort of changes are you concerned about?

How are you treated when you were a trainee doctor?
On the whole I've been treated well. There have very occasionally been times I haven't got along with someone but I think those encounters fall within the normal spectrum of working life. I am currently in specialty training btw.

I'm assuming that your question referred to personal interactions with colleagues and seniors. If you meant how doctors are treated by the NHS, the answer is: really ****. This is a job with zero perks or special treatment, even things like parking or lockers are a luxury which seem to be reserved for a chosen few. The admin system is dire which means there are frequent issues with rotas, pay, etc which take ages to sort out. This is a problem when you have real life commitments like rent, mortgage, family, etc. It doesn't seem to be much better higher up either - just look at the consultants' pension issue which is frequently in the news.

What problems did you face when doing the practical stuff(everything apart from studying)?
I had to live somewhere I didn't particularly want to live during FY2 because that was my allocation and I've also done a lot of house moves over the years. This obviously affects friendships and relationships. I've gained lots of experience from having lived all over the place, but it's not an easy thing to do. But hopefully that will all begin to settle now that I'm in specialty training.

I am sooo sorry if it sounds like a lot but I've gotta know what I'll be doing for the rest of my life indept haha.
No worries.
Last edited by Democracy; 1 week ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Stirling
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Thu, 26 Sep '19
  • Heriot-Watt University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Scottish Borders Campus Undergraduate
    Fri, 27 Sep '19
  • Royal Holloway, University of London
    Undergraduate open day Undergraduate
    Sat, 28 Sep '19

Are you attending a Global Climate Strike?

Yes, I'm striking (41)
7.78%
No, but I wanted to/I support the cause (308)
58.44%
No (178)
33.78%

Watched Threads