How good do you have to be at maths for Oxbridge Engineering Watch

Anonymous_guy011
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Hello I’m doing maths, Further maths and Physics. Predicted all A* but was wondering if my math skills would be good enough for Oxbridge engineering
Oxford Mum
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Why not give it a try if you are predicted those grades? Practice with son pat tests if you are unsure.

There are 4 other unis you can put on your ucas form, so it’s not as if you are taking a massive risk applying. Just do some further research into an area that interests you
Anonymous_guy011
Rep:
?
(Original post by Oxford Mum)
Why not give it a try if you are predicted those grades? Practice with son pat tests if you are unsure.

There are 4 other unis you can put on your ucas form, so it’s not as if you are taking a massive risk applying. Just do some further research into an area that interests you
Yes thanks
Anonymous #1
Report 1 week ago
Probably. If you're predicted an A* in fm then there's no real indication of how far your mathematical abilities go, as it's the maximum measured by A level. You could just barely know the A level syllabus but understand it well, but you could also be at PhD level.

That's what their admissions assessments are for. A levels are limited in what they can measure as most applicants will be predicted A*s. You should do their tests like the EngAA, and see how you do with those ,
Anonymous_guy011
Rep:
?
(Original post by Anonymous)
Probably. If you're predicted an A* in fm then there's no real indication of how far your mathematical abilities go, as it's the maximum measured by A level. You could just barely know the A level syllabus but understand it well, but you could also be at PhD level.

That's what their admissions assessments are for. A levels are limited in what they can measure as most applicants will be predicted A*s. You should do their tests like the EngAA, and see how you do with those ,
Will do thanks. Do you think the ENGAA or PAT is easier ( I know they are both nearly the same level of difficulty ) as I know the PAT is a calculator paper where as the ENGAA isn’t. Thanks
Oxford Mum
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
So will you apply? I sincerely hope so! If you are passionate about your subject you may surprise yourself. You don’t have to be a genius to get into Oxford you know! Xx
MagnumKoishi
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Anonymous_guy011)
Will do thanks. Do you think the ENGAA or PAT is easier ( I know they are both nearly the same level of difficulty ) as I know the PAT is a calculator paper where as the ENGAA isn’t. Thanks
I'm not entirely sure since I've never done a PAT paper. (the anonymous post is me btw, I accidentally pressed anon)

I did the NSAA (which uses many of the same questions as the ENGAA for my selected parts), and I didn't really feel a calculator would have benefited me in the half where I wasn't allowed one. The questions are mainly symbolic or qualitative
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Stirling
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Thu, 26 Sep '19
  • Heriot-Watt University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Scottish Borders Campus Undergraduate
    Fri, 27 Sep '19
  • Royal Holloway, University of London
    Undergraduate open day Undergraduate
    Sat, 28 Sep '19

Are you attending a Global Climate Strike?

Yes, I'm striking (38)
7.47%
No, but I wanted to/I support the cause (298)
58.55%
No (173)
33.99%

Watched Threads