I heard Durham University's Religion Department is TOP. Watch

graduatesearch
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Hi! I'm a Canadian graduate student finishing up my masters degree. I am really oblivious to the British elite system... I'm more familiar with North American PhD programs. So I am considering a PhD in the U.K. and I want to know what kind of grades - if anyone knows - I need from a non U.K/EU school - i.e., a GPA average - to get into Durham's PhD program. I heard that their religious studies program is TOP 3 in the world along with Oxford and Cambridge. A lot of U.S. ivy leagues requires a minimum of 3.0-3.4, but in reality they look for 3.8 for ivy league programs. I understand many students here are talking about GCSE scores for undergraduate admissions. Also, if you do not know what GPA they require - I still wouldn't mind learning more about what marks they require from British citizens. Thank you in advance!
The_Lizard
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Durham's pretty good in that they don't really care about GCSE results. Obviously, your A-levels (or equivalent) matter when applying for undergraduate positions. They generally ask for a 1st class degree or high upper class 2nd for their PhD programs with a suitable masters too. From my interactions with PhD students and their experiences with applying, it appears that the most important thing to have when applying is a bit of passion and personality rather than just being able to point at a piece of paper and claim "I got this many marks". I think having interesting ideas and showing a little initiative will get you further than just having a high GPA. Hope this helps.
graduatesearch
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 days ago
(Original post by The_Lizard)
Durham's pretty good in that they don't really care about GCSE results. Obviously, your A-levels (or equivalent) matter when applying for undergraduate positions. They generally ask for a 1st class degree or high upper class 2nd for their PhD programs with a suitable masters too. From my interactions with PhD students and their experiences with applying, it appears that the most important thing to have when applying is a bit of passion and personality rather than just being able to point at a piece of paper and claim "I got this many marks". I think having interesting ideas and showing a little initiative will get you further than just having a high GPA. Hope this helps.
This is very helpful. I'm not as ambitious to get into Oxbridge, but I have been told that Durham's rankings globally is awesome - like somewhere snugged between Oxford and Harvard Divinity School! So I was wondering whether the admissions committee are very selective or as selective as these two prestigious universities. Anyway, thank you for the input - I believe Oxbridge are more concerned for a transcript than the interview process of asking about passion (no doubt a student can express this in their personal essay). But this is good to know. Thanks again!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Durham University
    Pre-Application Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 20 Sep '19
  • Durham University
    Pre-Application Open Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 21 Sep '19

What's your favourite genre?

Rock (206)
23.54%
Pop (216)