Are apprenticeships free? Watch

s817
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
I've just finished uni and am looking for work but if I don't get a job within next few months then I'd like to do an apprenticeship which I doubt I will get a job as I have no recent work experience, I have some experience but that was nearly 10 years ago so an apprenticeship would be a better option. Will it be free to do an apprenticeship? I'm in my late twenties
Xarao
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
You can't get into an apprenticeship if you've completed a degree (it's often a requirement to not have a degree to even start one). Also, age matters as well as some apprenticeships have a maximum age limit of 23/25 (around this, due to government funding).

Do you have no job at all?
Last edited by Xarao; 1 week ago
s817
Rep:
?
(Original post by Xarao)
You can't get into an apprenticeship if you've completed a degree (it's often a requirement to not have a degree to even start one). Also, age matters as well as some apprenticeships have a starting age limit of 25 (or something like that).

Do you have no job at all?
You can get into an apprenticeship as long as it's not a subject you already have a qualification in. I won't be looking for something relating to my degree or anything else I'm qualified in so I'll get into an apprenticeship. Yes before it was 16-25 who could do an apprenticeship but now you can be any age as they've changed it otherwise I wouldn't be considering doing an apprenticeship. I don't have a job. It would have been too much while I was studying so I just concentrated on studying and I've just finished uni so I've only just started looking for work.
Xarao
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by s817)
You can get into an apprenticeship as long as it's not a subject you already have a qualification in. I won't be looking for something relating to my degree or anything else I'm qualified in so I'll get into an apprenticeship. Yes before it was 16-25 who could do an apprenticeship but now you can be any age as they've changed it otherwise I wouldn't be considering doing an apprenticeship. I don't have a job. It would have been too much while I was studying so I just concentrated on studying and I've just finished uni so I've only just started looking for work.
What did you study?
s817
Rep:
?
(Original post by Xarao)
What did you study?
At uni I studied an art and design related subject.
Xarao
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by s817)
At uni I studied an art and design related subject.
:rofl: Why?
s817
Rep:
?
(Original post by Xarao)
:rofl: Why?
Because that's something I have an interest in.
Xarao
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by s817)
Because that's something I have an interest in.
And what were your results?
s817
Rep:
?
(Original post by Xarao)
And what were your results?
Why?
Xarao
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by s817)
Why?
So something that you have an interest in, with no actual work experience, with grades that you don't even want to mention.

You're missing the whole plot. If you can't embrace your degree, why did you study it in the first place? A degree is meant to help start your career, not force you to change it. Did you go to university just for the sake of it?
s817
Rep:
?
(Original post by Xarao)
So something that you have an interest in, with no actual work experience, with grades that you don't even want to mention.

You're missing the whole plot. If you can't embrace your degree, why did you study it in the first place? A degree is meant to help start your career, not force you to change it. Did you go to university just for the sake of it?
I wanted to do a creative degree which I knew I would enjoy and gain more knowledge/skills to develop my portfolio. A career in art and design would require a lot of time and the salary may not be regular, so it's something I'd like to do in my spare time or part time alongside a regular paying job so I can regularly support myself financially. If I'd have done a different degree, it would have been mostly written work and presentations which I know I wouldn't have enjoyed and probably would have dropped out of in the first year. My degree grade is irrelevant, for art and design employers don't care about grades and won't ask for them, it's all about the work so if I ever wanted to get a job relating to my degree, I'd just have to make sure the work I showed employers was relevant and of a good standard but that's not something I'm interested in doing right now.
ChammyIRL
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I know in the past I was turned away for being "overqualified" at a level 3. Being an older applicant who held a level 3 (in a completely different subject) nowhere could have me because they didn't receive the grant for me...I'm not sure if that is still the case so you'd have to check?

Most apprenticeships are free as you're earning a wage but that wage is a lot lower because it takes into account the cost of your training too...so, around £10k for most. You could look at larger employers, my husband became a telecommunications engineer at 22 via an apprenticeship with a good wage because they're a big company BUT he also only had GCSEs.
EmmaBellCompKid
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Deloitte have an apprenticeship program that you can work in computers and then move though that path do a design related project
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you attending a Global Climate Strike?

Yes, I'm striking (14)
6.73%
No, but I wanted to/I support the cause (116)
55.77%
No (78)
37.5%

Watched Threads