Taking my mum to court

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
So I'll explain why I'm thinking about doing this. So when I turn 18, my mum has put money in a savings account for me and the contract is said that it will be given to me on the 4th October 2019. I have been falling out with my mum a lot recently and she has said that I'm too immature to deal with the money that is in that savings account for me. I have received a letter saying that I will be given the money on my birthday, but apparently she has to sign it over? I'm not too sure whether it is that extreme to take it to court or not as she said that she will give it me in a few years. I need the money badly as I want to buy a car and she's just trying to stop that.

Any advice would be much appreciated
I'm God
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Technically it's her money that she is giving you which is already a really nice thing to do.

Also, why do you want to buy a car straight away?
Would it not be better to save it and spend it on something that you will benefit more from?
You may need it in the future to buy equipment for university, or if you can't find a job etc.
kurro
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
It's her money.
If you want it, cooperate.
bones-mccoy
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Whose name is the account under?
username2950448
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
You want to take your MUM to court for HER money so YOU can buy a CAR.

Could not be me.
threeportdrift
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
So I'll explain why I'm thinking about doing this. So when I turn 18, my mum has put money in a savings account for me and the contract is said that it will be given to me on the 4th October 2019. I have been falling out with my mum a lot recently and she has said that I'm too immature to deal with the money that is in that savings account for me. I have received a letter saying that I will be given the money on my birthday, but apparently she has to sign it over? I'm not too sure whether it is that extreme to take it to court or not as she said that she will give it me in a few years. I need the money badly as I want to buy a car and she's just trying to stop that.

What contract?
What letter? From whom?
Is this money in trust?
Is this money in an account in your name?

You need to understand the basic facts before wondering about taking your mother to court!
amnahaa
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
It's her money at the end of the day, I think you should co-operate with her if you want the money. The fact that you would take your mum to court over this (you need money for this to begin with) shows that maybe you are as immature as your mum thinks you are. It sounds harsh, I know, but I would much rather you read this than go into debt for suing your mum over money to pay for a car (I also recommend that you save that money because a car isn't necessary. Save it for a rainy day, if you want a car, you should start saving your own money).
Anonymous #2
Report 1 year ago
I think you need to start respecting your mum a bit more. Personally, I could never even think of taking my mum over court over this.
SoulfulTwist
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Stop falling out with her then
Wired_1800
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Anonymous)

Don't buy the car. Save the money for a house because there are chances that you may never own a house in your lifetime.

Also, no need to fall out with your mom. She loved you to the extent of keeping money for you.
Anonymous #3
Report 1 year ago
And stop saying "so" at the start of sentences. So annoying!
centraltrains
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Go on Judge Rinder!

If Rinder is to be trusted, family matters can't usually be enforced in law.

Perhaps try and make it up with her by showing you are more mature rather than falling out with her more and giving court threats
Zarek
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hope you're a troll. But if not, realise that this is in effect her money that you have no right to unless she wants you to have it.
Fermion.
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
You sound like a right daftie
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (131)
14.72%
I'm not sure (40)
4.49%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (267)
30%
I have already dropped out (22)
2.47%
I'm not a current university student (430)
48.31%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise