The Student Room Group

PGCE help?

Hello,

Posting this again as I hadn't received a reply, please advise!

I just wanted some advice on postgraduate student finance. Here is my SFE/uni history:

2015/16 I received 1 year of funding for a BA degree I left at the end of that academic year for medical reasons.

(2016/17 I received an Advance Learner Loan for 1 year a Diploma in Art and Design - Foundation studies --- in brackets as I know it's separate from the usual 'student loan')

2017-2020 I am receiving a student loan for the full 3 years of my undergraduate BA.

2020/21 - I aim to study to become a primary school teacher through a tuition fee, school direct route, gaining a PGCE with QTS - a 1 year postgraduate teacher training course.

Can you please confirm that I would be funded, as normal, tuition fee loan + maintenance loan for my PGCE year please?

Any advice is greatly welcomed.

For clarity: all courses are/have been full time. The PGCE course is for general primary, and I meet all of the DfE criteria for training to teach, pending my final degree grade in 2020. Also, out of interest, would a Masters degree be funded after the PGCE too if I wanted to take that route? Please do let me know if you need any further information, I've tried to be as clear as possible!

Thank you in advance,

Sal
PGCE funding is independent of previous study rules. You could have 10 years of undergrad finance a masters and a phd and you would still get PGCE funding.

Masters funding is available as long as you don’t have a masters degree already and are taking a full masters degree (ie you aren’t skipping some modules using PGCE/pgcert credits)
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by Sal1997
Hello,

Posting this again as I hadn't received a reply, please advise!

I just wanted some advice on postgraduate student finance. Here is my SFE/uni history:

2015/16 I received 1 year of funding for a BA degree I left at the end of that academic year for medical reasons.

(2016/17 I received an Advance Learner Loan for 1 year a Diploma in Art and Design - Foundation studies --- in brackets as I know it's separate from the usual 'student loan')

2017-2020 I am receiving a student loan for the full 3 years of my undergraduate BA.

2020/21 - I aim to study to become a primary school teacher through a tuition fee, school direct route, gaining a PGCE with QTS - a 1 year postgraduate teacher training course.

Can you please confirm that I would be funded, as normal, tuition fee loan + maintenance loan for my PGCE year please?

Any advice is greatly welcomed.

For clarity: all courses are/have been full time. The PGCE course is for general primary, and I meet all of the DfE criteria for training to teach, pending my final degree grade in 2020. Also, out of interest, would a Masters degree be funded after the PGCE too if I wanted to take that route? Please do let me know if you need any further information, I've tried to be as clear as possible!

Thank you in advance,

Sal

Hi Sal,

PGCEs are funded through undergraduate and we can disregard your previous study as long as you choose a designated course which leads to Qualified Teacher Status (QTS) and lasts no longer than two years.

Regards,
Nihad

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending