The Student Room Group

Applying to Drama Schools...

I've long considered applying to Drama school after 6th form college, and successfully gaining a place in the National Youth Theatre further strengthened this.

The only thing is, I really don't understand how it works. I've no professional experience, although i may try and gain some after my NYT course in the summer.

I know that you can only apply to a certain number of universities due to UCAS points. But what about drama schools such as Guildhall and RADA? I know that they're incredibly difficult to get into, and I'm certainly going to remain realistic. But if these schools work on an audition basis, does this mean I can audition for as many drama schools as I like, and still apply for university? Therefore, if I get lucky with an audition, I can attend that drama school, and if not, still hopefully go to university.

I've considered things such as a gap year, but I'm still not sure about that - perhaps the notion of living around london and looking for experience with acting and the NYT is unrealistic.

But would I be able to audition for these drama schools alongside my UCAS-dictated universities?

Reply 1
I applied for Guildhall this year so I sort of know the drill :P You apply directly to the school (at least for Guildhall) so not through UCAS - i.e apply to as many as you wish. Although I am not an expert on UK unis since I'm a Swede meself, I think you should be able to apply to drama schools such as Guildhall and other unis through UCAS.

There are 2 auditions for Guildhall to get in and you don't need any past experience.
Reply 2
It varies between schools, some you apply through UCAS, some you apply direct. So yes you can audition for drama school while also applying to more academic courses or whatever via UCAS. Have a look at the websites of the ones you are interested in.
i expect u2 die
I've long considered applying to Drama school after 6th form college, and successfully gaining a place in the National Youth Theatre further strengthened this.

The only thing is, I really don't understand how it works. I've no professional experience, although i may try and gain some after my NYT course in the summer.

I know that you can only apply to a certain number of universities due to UCAS points. But what about drama schools such as Guildhall and RADA? I know that they're incredibly difficult to get into, and I'm certainly going to remain realistic. But if these schools work on an audition basis, does this mean I can audition for as many drama schools as I like, and still apply for university? Therefore, if I get lucky with an audition, I can attend that drama school, and if not, still hopefully go to university.

I've considered things such as a gap year, but I'm still not sure about that - perhaps the notion of living around london and looking for experience with acting and the NYT is unrealistic.

But would I be able to audition for these drama schools alongside my UCAS-dictated universities?

Just because you got in to the NYT, it doesn't mean your'e especially talented, although you might be. I think you might be able to do that, but the drama school would probably look down upon you for not having enough motivation not to go for drama only. I know people who have gone to RADA, LAMDA, Bristol old vic and central. A couple of them were not amazing, but most were, and they were all beautiful-looking people. I think RADA is like 1 in 50 chance, but who knows?!
T-o dore
Just because you got in to the NYT, it doesn't mean your'e especially talented

I know this - I didn't suggest so. The reason I included it is because its about the extent of my acting work outside of school, I guess, more than anything, I'm insecure about my lack of experience. But I will say that I'm personally confident of my own talent :smile:
Reply 5
I spent the last 2 years applying for drama schools.
It varies, some do the one audition, some do a morning session then re-call in the afternoon, some re-call at a later date.
You can apply for as many as you like, though make sure you read up on them, some only let you apply for one course (Guildford didnt make this clear when I applied. I'd gone for Acting and Musical Theatre, I ended up going for MT cos I'd done it before and I thought it might look better. Wish I'd gone for acting now).

Word of advice though, don't have any expectations on getting it. Especially first time round. I tried twice and still got nowhere. I'm going to uni now instead to do Contemporary Theather. I was debating trying again, but I cna't afford it. And I couldn't stand the idea of taking a second year out.
i expect u2 die
I know this - I didn't suggest so. The reason I included it is because its about the extent of my acting work outside of school, I guess, more than anything, I'm insecure about my lack of experience. But I will say that I'm personally confident of my own talent :smile:

I'm sure your great. Get as much experience as you can now. Maybe do a couple LAMDA exams? that would definitely help prepare you for auditions. Just read plays and stuff about practitioners (Grotowski, Stanislavski, Brecht, Artaud etc).
Reply 7
There are several drama schools/universities that you apply to through UCAS; Royal Welsh College of Music and Drama, Central School of Speech and Drama and Liverpool Institute of Performing Arts to name a few popular ones.

There are also others that you just apply direct to the school/college, examples include LAMDA, Bristol Old Vic, RADA and Guildhall.

As you know you are limited to five UCAS, but the direct application schools have no limit. So you could apply to 5 UCAS universities/schools/colleges and 15 direct applications if you really wanted to...though I wouldn't recommend it!!

As for the actual process:

Whether you apply through UCAS or directly to the institution they will look at your application and decide if they think you are suitable, if they think you are they will invite you to audition. (Some institutions have a policy of auditioning all applicants).

At the audition you are generally asked to perform a couple of pieces that are a couple of minutes long. It is most common for them to ask you to do a Shakespeare and a 21st Century piece, you're obviously told before hand so you can prepare. You perform those pieces, and sometimes take part in a workshop; this allows the institution to see your talent, or lack of talent, and judge whether you are suitable for the course.

After this you will either be told you haven't got in, or you'll be given a recall audition. The recall audition is effectively the same as the first audition, but the pieces will be longer, and it is likely that they will give you a set piece to prepare for and give you a piece on the day so you have to sight-read/act. The purpose of the recall is to seperate the brilliant from the good, after it you will be told whether you have been rejected or accepted.

That is not a definitive article about every audition, but it is the basics of what to expect. You may well be asked to sing at your recall. It is really really important to prepare well for your audition, as it isn't unknown for someone to go into a first audition start doing their prepared piece and after 30 seconds being told they aren't really suitable and being turned away.

You must also remember that you won't have any costume or props to help you, it is frowned upon by most, if not all, institutions if you turn up looking like Juliet complete with your phial of poison! That means that you really have to be able to act and talk in a convincing manner, making yourself seem to be another person in such a short time is not easy.

I'd recommend getting some kind of drama coach, or get your drama teacher to help you prepare; and maybe speak to an English teacher about having a session to go over the text, it is common to be asked about the context of the speech you perform within the whole play, and also about the character you're playing. So make sure you know the story, themes and characters involved!!

That's just a brief summary off the top of my head, if I think of anything more I'll add it to the discussion :smile:

Hope that helps,

MJ
Reply 8
One other thing about applying to places, auditions cost, usually between £20 and £40.
Reply 9
Good point beccaarr, forgot to mention that!

Generally the UCAS ones are a bit cheaper (i.e the lower end of the £20-40) whereas the non-UCAS and the very popular/highly rated schools are at the higher end.

Latest