Zara_qwe
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 days ago
so currently i am doing history, sociology and english language. I have started my first year in college.
I would like to know peoples opinions on what you think about my chosen subjects did i choose hard subjects? Im hoping to work hard during college to get the best grades i can get to do maybe do law in university or teach english in other countries.
many thanks
Last edited by Zara_qwe; 6 days ago
ibzz9602
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
drop language and do literature
Quick-use
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
Perfectly fine for either Law or teaching English.
Quick-use
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
(Original post by ibzz9602)
Why? There's absolutely no need to do so. OP could literally get into Oxbridge with those subjects.

Please refrain from giving poor and misinformed advice.
Zara_qwe
Rep:
?
(Original post by ibzz9602)
ahah ive done many research and i know lit is more valued in universities. originally i chose literature but i changed to language as i enjoy it more thank you though for your opinion
Zara_qwe
Rep:
?
(Original post by Quick-use)
Why? There's absolutely no need to do so. OP could literally get into Oxbridge with those subjects.

Please refrain from giving poor and misinformed advice.
Okay than you a lot
ive just been having mixed reviews on english
thanks!
Quick-use
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
(Original post by Zara_qwe)
Okay than you a lot
ive just been having mixed reviews on english
thanks!
You're fine. Universities really don't care what's 'facilitating' and what's not. As long as your subjects are relatively academic, you have absolutely nothing to worry about.

Just make sure to do the subjects that you enjoy the most / will get you the best grades.
Azotic
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
so currently i am doing history, sociology and english language. I have started my first year in college.
I would like to know peoples opinions on what you think about my chosen subjects did i choose hard subjects? Im hoping to work hard during college to get the best grades i can get to do maybe do law in university or teach english in other countries.
many thanks
Yes these are great subjects to do law. Just remember to work hard because these subjects are definitely not easy. I myself struggled with english language at gcse and got a grade 4, and it is a shame as i see people who only came into uk for 1 year and achieve grades 6's and 7's in english language. Luckily i got the grades to do Maths, biology and chemistry at college, and i am spending a good few hours everyday studying for them. Whatever you do, do it with passion and make friends who think likewise and try to dedicate a certain number of hours everyday to your subjects because not a single A level is easy. It says it in the name "A" level. Anyways Good luck for your a levels and future plans!
Last edited by Azotic; 6 days ago
Zara_qwe
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 days ago
(Original post by Azotic)
Yes these are great subjects to do law. Just remember to work hard because these subjects are definitely not easy. I myself struggled with english language at gcse and got a grade 4, and it is a shame as i see people who only came into uk for 1 year and achieve grades 6's and 7's in english language. Luckily i got the grades to do Maths, biology and chemistry at college, and i am spending a good few hours everyday studying for them. Whatever you do, do it with passion and make friends who think likewise and try to dedicate a certain number of hours everyday to your subjects because not a single A level is easy. It says it in the name "A" level. Anyways Good luck for your a levels and future plans!
Its fine i completely understand what i mean with the gcse grades for maths i only got a 4 ahah but this really helped though! but im just wondering how many hours a day would you reccomend or did you do?

Many thanks x
Azotic
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
Its fine i completely understand what i mean with the gcse grades for maths i only got a 4 ahah but this really helped though! but im just wondering how many hours a day would you reccomend or did you do?

Many thanks x
Yeah, no problem. If im being honest i am not the best person to get advise from as i was consistently getting E's in maths in my first year of A level and barely scraping C's in biology and chemistry in first year. However, that was mostly because i procrastinated a lot and just was too lazy to revise. Back then i did 1 solid hour of work a day on a good day. Ive looked at a ton of forums advising how many hours, and I have found that if you spend 10 hours a week on each subject you should be on target to get A's. Mind you your revision has to be good revision with no distractions. Right now im finding it hard to do 3-4 hours a day and some days i do nothing. I would say build a routine to do at least 3 hours a day on weekdays and 4-5 hours on weekends. You can bump this up during exam season.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Durham University
    Pre-Application Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 20 Sep '19
  • Loughborough University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 20 Sep '19
  • University of Oxford
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 20 Sep '19

What's your favourite genre?