2468h3
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 days ago
I'm doing 4 a levels currently but really want to drop one and do three as it would let me focus on getting the best results I can possibly get. I currently do maths, further maths, computer science and physics, and want to do a degree in computer science at Cambridge. (I'm predicted a*a*a*a*)

In terms of my enjoyment, I vastly prefer computing to physics, as I find physics quite boring, don't enjoy the practicals and find it quite repetitive. Computing on the other hand is my second favourite subject and I enjoy doing the NEA and just learning about it and studying it in general.

However, looking at the colleges preferences for a levels, I always see it saying maths is required, further maths is preferred and physics/sciences are useful, not not necessary. It also always says computer science is not essential.

If I drop computing and do physics, will this give me a significant advantage to dropping physics? Or should I stick with the subject I actually enjoy and not keep doing the one I dislike the most?? Will I be rejected purely for the fact that I don't do physics and someone else does??
Ams9383
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
In my opinion and from personal experiences I don’t think you should continue doing a subjec which makes you feel miserable and upset if it’s not required for the course you want to do later on in life don’t worry about it. Maybe you should go to a open day or speak to an adviser from the uni u want to go to and ask them about your options and see what they say go from there because it’s a delicate situation you should get some professional advice by that department
Quick-use
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
(Original post by 2468h3)
I'm doing 4 a levels currently but really want to drop one and do three as it would let me focus on getting the best results I can possibly get. I currently do maths, further maths, computer science and physics, and want to do a degree in computer science at Cambridge. (I'm predicted a*a*a*a*)

In terms of my enjoyment, I vastly prefer computing to physics, as I find physics quite boring, don't enjoy the practicals and find it quite repetitive. Computing on the other hand is my second favourite subject and I enjoy doing the NEA and just learning about it and studying it in general.

However, looking at the colleges preferences for a levels, I always see it saying maths is required, further maths is preferred and physics/sciences are useful, not not necessary. It also always says computer science is not essential.

If I drop computing and do physics, will this give me a significant advantage to dropping physics? Or should I stick with the subject I actually enjoy and not keep doing the one I dislike the most?? Will I be rejected purely for the fact that I don't do physics and someone else does??
You will face literally no problems in dropping Physics. You have the core essentials of the 2 Maths courses. Your third subject in Computing is extremely relevant (even if not a requirement).
R T
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago

Dropping physics is ok. You won't be rejected on that basis and it will have very little impact on the application or decision.

I just question whether or not this would be "good for you". For high-fliers (oxbridge applicants), Maths and Further Maths really do not offer any real challenge and you will most likely cruise to A*A*.

University will be tough, there will be modules you don't like, modules you find boring. 3 A-Levels is not much work at all. I think it would better to grind through physics in preparation and to get yourself used to doing more work and build better habits. That's just my opinion. I did 5 A-Levels and first year really shocked me with how much harder and more intense it was.

Basically... if 3 A-Levels is what, 25 hours a week for you to work at an A*A*A* level, then I think you should bring that up to 35 and do physics.

The exception would be if you had something concrete to put in those hours instead. For example: sign up to do STEP and/or AEA maths this year. It would be excellent preparation for Uni. (don't worry, they wont be included in any offer - but will look good). It would also be good preparation for interviews and tests.

Alternatively, you could get your hands on a real coding challenge. When I was 21, I made my own programming language with a little javascript compiler so it ran in a browser - which was easier than it sounds! It was a good learning experience. But make sure that you are strict about time which is going into this, and make sure you're working towards a "goal" or measurable end point.

I would highly discourage against doing nothing though. Although it's very tempting to drop subjects (I know, I remember being in year 13 when all my friends were dropping subjects and going down to 3, and having 10+ hours more free time in school) I think it's good to build discipline and work on skills that are directly applicable later on. While Physics is not directly useful in CompSci, it is still an A-Level (which is relevant for post-Uni job applications, etc. (if anyone comments saying a-levels dont matter after uni, I will laugh at them)), and it represents a personal challenge for you to overcome since you do not find it as enjoyable. If nothing else, it could be a small safety net for your Cambridge/ Imperial offers - A*A*A is not that rare, and it's very possible if unspecified you can get them wherever. I don't think computing is overly forgiving in the way FM is, and from memory A*s in Maths are about being really slow and careful in C3/C4 rather than actually being good at it - so this safety net could be useful there also.
Moose-er
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
Drop physics and keep computing, you enjoy computing more and it's just as academic a subject as physics so it won't put you at a disadvantage and well you're much more likely to meet your predicted grades doing 3 than 4
sweeneyrod
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 days ago
Some colleges do like people to do a physical science/don't particularly value A-level Computing, so it's worth emailing admissions tutors at colleges you're interested in to see what they think; I don't think any will see it as a huge thing but it there's something simple you can do that will make your application stronger you might as well do it. However, especially if you apply to a college that likes A-level Computing but even if you don't, you won't be at a huge disadvantage if you drop Physics. So if you don't find it interesting I would drop it.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What's your favourite genre?

Rock (162)
24.77%
Pop (161)
24.62%
Jazz (26)
3.98%
Classical (38)
5.81%
Hip-Hop (117)
17.89%