The Student Room Group

Should I take Art as an alevel if I want to do biomedical?

Should I take Art as an A-level?
I'm doing Biology Chemistry and Maths but have an open space for another subject? Would taking art be a bad choice if I want to get into a top university for biomedical sciences?
I heard art a level is cancer and there's always work to do
I'd say it depends. Check all degree courses you're interested in to see if they have any subjects they don't accept. For example; some degree courses don't accept people with critical thinking a levels etc.

But the subjects you're taking seem like they'd be required in order to do the degree you want so as long as you have them then I'd assume that your 3 option doesn't matter as long as you get the wanted grades for it.
No. If you aren't planning on taking it further there really is no point in spending 15+hours a week on artworks, spending 4 hours + a week going to the lessons if you aren't going to be carrying it on. I just completed art AS Level and spent hours on it because there is never ending coursework, and as a perfectionist I take a long time drawing and I am very critical of my work so I would always have to restart and not once, even when the course was finished, did I ever feel like my coursework was done to an amount I was ever happy with as doing 3 other as level subjects alongside it was difficult. You have to be extremely passionate and committed to art when studying it at a level standard. I spent most of my time drawing instead of revising, when I could of spent more time studying and focusing on my other subjects which I was carrying on. I wish I didn't pick it and that I just kept art as one of my hobbies because studying it takes the fun out of it, for me anyways, and reduced the time that I could of spent revising for other subjects that I am planning on studying at university.
My friend took art, and she wanted to do some sort of science degree...cant quite remember which one (maybe chemistry) but she ended up getting into the university of leeds so it did not stop her at all :smile: only thing i would say is that art (at least in my college) took up an extra timetabled slot so she had less time to revise.- especially if you are considering 4 subjects then maybe i wouldn't recommend, don't suppose you could swap subjects instead?
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by Daenni193
I'd say it depends. Check all degree courses you're interested in to see if they have any subjects they don't accept. For example; some degree courses don't accept people with critical thinking a levels etc.

But the subjects you're taking seem like they'd be required in order to do the degree you want so as long as you have them then I'd assume that your 3 option doesn't matter as long as you get the wanted grades for it.

I want to pursue neuroscience; however, don't want to lose that creative aspect I gain from art.
I study Scottish qualifications so don’t do A levels, however I’m sure it’s fairly similar. Art is often overlooked as a subject by many people (peers, other teachers etc) and I think that’s because they don’t understand it’s true value. This will develop and expand your creativity, show your problem solving skills, improve time management and show that you are an independent thinker. I don’t think that it would ever be frowned upon by unis as it takes a certain skill to pursue artistic studies. I’d say that many university courses look for creativity which is easily gained through art
I suggest you only take it if you are thinking about taking an art-related degree, in your case you want to pursue biomedical. So don't take art.
It is factually the most time-consuming subject and will hinder your revision for other subjects, I regret it so much (the other 4 people in my class regret it too).

Of course, it wouldn't be a bad choice if it meets the subject requirements. Requirements for biomedical science is usually chemistry, then the second subject should either be biology or maths (some universities have chem and bio the other way, just check their websites). That means art can be taken. But to get into a university you only need 3 subjects. They really don't care if you have another.

I honestly think the only way you can make use of art is if you choose a medical topic and do research and drawings/paintings which you may be able to incorporate into your personal statement. But I doubt it.
If there is a more relevant course then choose that but if you are just wanting to take art because you enjoy it maybe don’t because it isn’t really a course that unis or employers look for, unless you are really passionate about it, it really isn’t that useful at all
Reply 9
Original post by mdelecq
I want to pursue neuroscience; however, don't want to lose that creative aspect I gain from art.

I'm going to disagree with almost everyone else on this thread and encourage you to take it. It will be a real asset in neuroscience and the creative thinking it engenders will stand you in great stead in your studies.
See Oxford's art and neuroscience research centre
Birmingham's Human Neuroscience various modules looking at visual input
this article about how Yale is incorporating art into med school teaching
But they are all right that it's a lot of work. You need to be prepared to put in the hours and you need to find making art pleasurable rather than a slog. It'll be hard if you are trying to do 4 Alevel, possible with 3 if you are disciplined with your time.
Original post by 2500_2
I'm going to disagree with almost everyone else on this thread and encourage you to take it. It will be a real asset in neuroscience and the creative thinking it engenders will stand you in great stead in your studies.
See Oxford's art and neuroscience research centre
Birmingham's Human Neuroscience various modules looking at visual input
this article about how Yale is incorporating art into med school teaching
But they are all right that it's a lot of work. You need to be prepared to put in the hours and you need to find making art pleasurable rather than a slog. It'll be hard if you are trying to do 4 Alevel, possible with 3 if you are disciplined with your time.

this has been the best reply yet. thank you so much.
Reply 11
Original post by mdelecq
this has been the best reply yet. thank you so much.

You're welcome, hope it all works out for you
one more - centre for the creative brain research

Quick Reply

Latest