yrice
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 days ago
So, I have already applied for my student finance going into the next uni year but this summer my parents have separated. My dad no longer lives with us but they aren't officially divorced and don't seem to be in a rush to get officially divorced.

I get the lowest amount of student loan due to my parents joint income but this doesn't even cover my rent.

As my parents have separated and don't live together anymore does anyone know if I'm entitled to a higher amount of student loan? How does this work?

Thanks
Advertisement
claireestelle
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
(Original post by yrice)
So, I have already applied for my student finance going into the next uni year but this summer my parents have separated. My dad no longer lives with us but they aren't officially divorced and don't seem to be in a rush to get officially divorced.

I get the lowest amount of student loan due to my parents joint income but this doesn't even cover my rent.

As my parents have separated and don't live together anymore does anyone know if I'm entitled to a higher amount of student loan? How does this work?

Thanks
you would need to prove they had separated officially with something like a council tax bill in just the one parents name.
yrice
Rep:
?
(Original post by claireestelle)
you would need to prove they had separated officially with something like a council tax bill in just the one parents name.
Thanks for your reply! I can get council tax forms with only one parents name on. Would the form have to be in the name of the parents that I live with or could it be either parent? Do you know how I go about providing SFE with this info?
Advertisement
claireestelle
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
(Original post by yrice)
Thanks for your reply! I can get council tax forms with only one parents name on. Would the form have to be in the name of the parents that I live with or could it be either parent? Do you know how I go about providing SFE with this info?
you'll need to do a change of circumstances form i believe, you should provide evidence for the parent that you officially live with.
yrice
Rep:
?
(Original post by claireestelle)
you'll need to do a change of circumstances form i believe, you should provide evidence for the parent that you officially live with.
I've heard about 'current year income assessment' forms? Would this be the right thing do you think?
Advertisement
claireestelle
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
(Original post by yrice)
I've heard about 'current year income assessment' forms? Would this be the right thing do you think?
yes i believe so but check with sfe to be certain
SFE Nihad
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 14 hours ago
(Original post by yrice)

Thanks
Hi there,

Your parent needs to show evidence of separation, there is no other way or form you'd follow/supply other than this. Did the parent you live with get their new Council Tax Bill which shows a discount?

Regards,
Nihad
Advertisement
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top

University open days

• Durham University
    Pre-Application Open Days Undergraduate