B1512 – Drinking water Bill 2019 (second reading) Watch

This discussion is closed.
Andrew97
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago

Drinking Water Bill 2019 A Bill to ensure free access to drinking water.

[field defaultattr=] BE IT ENACTED by The Queen's most Excellent Majesty, by and with the advice and consent of the Commons in this present Parliament assembled, in accordance with the provisions of the Parliament Acts 1911 and 1949, and by the authority of the same, as follows:-

1: Definitions
For the purposes of this Act:
(1) ‘Drinking water’ means water deemed fit for drinking.
(2) ‘Customer’ means any person who has made a purchase from the establishment in question.
(3) ‘Establishment’ means any club, restaurant, cafe, public house, bar, food truck etc. with a mains water supply of drinking water.
(4) ‘Vessel’ means any container no more than two litres in capacity

2: Customer access to drinking water
(1) Customers are entitled to free drinking water from an establishment upon request.
(2) This includes, but is not limited to, the filling of water bottles and the provision of drinking water in any vessel.

3. Public access to drinking water
(1) Members of the general public are entitled to free drinking water from an establishment upon request.
(2) This includes, but is not limited to, the filling of water bottles and the provision of drinking water in any vessel.

4: Commencement, Short Title, Extent and Conditions

(1) This bill shall come into force upon Royal Assent. (2) This bill may be cited as the Drinking Water Act 2019.
(3) This bill extends to the United Kingdom.
[/field]
Spoiler:
Show

Notes Access to clean drinking water when out and about should be easier than it is, especially on hotter days. Setting down this entitlement in law does not place an onerous burden on establishment owners, but allows people to get a drink if they need to.

[field defaultattr=][/field]
Spoiler:
Show

Changes for Second Reading ‘Vessel’ has been defined to introduce some limitations. The definition of ‘establishment’ has also been clarified to specify that it means places with a mains water supply. The weather requirement previously placed upon section 3 has been removed.

[field defaultattr=][/field]
Last edited by Andrew97; 1 month ago
Saracen's Fez
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I'm pleased to see my suggestion was taken on board and will support this if it goes to vote.
The Mogg
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Still a nay from me, don't agree with the principle of forcing businesses to give out for free a commodity they pay for. Unless I'm blind (which to be honest is a legitimate possibility), there isn't even a limitation how much water people can claim (although a vessel is no more than 2l as mentioned, it doesn't mention a person is limited to a certain amount of vessels), so technically I could ask for gallons upon gallons and they would have to give it to me.
barnetlad
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Aye from me.

It occurred to me since the first reading that this may assist those in need of medicine on some occasions.
JMR2019.
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
This is a very sensible bill. An aye from me.
shadowdweller
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by JMR2019.)
This is a very sensible bill. An aye from me.
Seconded.
CatusStarbright
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by The Mogg)
Still a nay from me, don't agree with the principle of forcing businesses to give out for free a commodity they pay for. Unless I'm blind (which to be honest is a legitimate possibility), there isn't even a limitation how much water people can claim (although a vessel is no more than 2l as mentioned, it doesn't mention a person is limited to a certain amount of vessels), so technically I could ask for gallons upon gallons and they would have to give it to me.
Yes I thought about this just after I had already submitted this version of the bill. I have a very easy fix (to permit establishment owners discretion on how much water they provide) which I might add in for Division if, Mr Speaker (Andrew97), you think it is a small enough change not to merit another reading.
Andrew97
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by CatusStarbright)
Yes I thought about this just after I had already submitted this version of the bill. I have a very easy fix (to permit establishment owners discretion on how much water they provide) which I might add in for Division if, Mr Speaker (Andrew97), you think it is a small enough change not to merit another reading.
Yep. I’m happy that’s small enough.
Rakas21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Mr Speaker, i retain my opposition to this bill on the grounds that i still consider it to be solving a problem which does not really exist.
CatusStarbright
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Rakas21)
Mr Speaker, i retain my opposition to this bill on the grounds that i still consider it to be solving a problem which does not really exist.
Have you never gone somewhere, asked for water and been told it's for customers only?
MagnumKoishi
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Have you never gone somewhere, asked for water and been told it's for customers only?
I haven't. In all honesty, I genuinely thought this law was already a thing- I've asked for water in several places under the impression that they have to give it to me. I guess I was just lucky lol
CatusStarbright
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by MagnumKoishi)
I haven't. In all honesty, I genuinely thought this law was already a thing- I've asked for water in several places under the impression that they have to give it to me. I guess I was just lucky lol
That was definitely nice of them!

Whilst Rakas and yourself make the point that a lot of establishments will already do this, I feel that writing this into law will ensure that everyone can benefit from the access to clean drinking water when out and about and not have to rely on solely the generosity of establishment owners.
Rakas21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
No. If i go into a pub and ask during the day my experience is that they will provide it. If there is only something like a restaurant around, i have just asked for cordial and paid the 50p or so.
SoggyCabbages
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Firstly, nay.

Secondly, are the establishments allowed to charge for service?

Absolutely barmy to not be a customer of somewhere, and be entitled to free product from there.

Tap waters are also bad economically for food businesses (mainly pubs really) that are tight on profits.

I think the current law where only if the premise serves alcohol you are entitled to water is fine.
Last edited by SoggyCabbages; 1 month ago
Connor27
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Agree with the Mogg - businesses pay a water bill, they shouldn’t therefore be forced by a state to give their water supply to customers for free.
SoggyCabbages
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Connor27)
Agree with the Mogg - businesses pay a water bill, they shouldn’t therefore be forced by a state to give their water supply to customers for free.
Agreed. Water bill, plus the cost of the glass, the cost of washing the glass, the cost of the staff member giving you the water.
Saracen's Fez
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by MagnumKoishi)
If they're licensed premises then they are required to provide free tap water.
CatusStarbright
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Rakas21)
No. If i go into a pub and ask during the day my experience is that they will provide it. If there is only something like a restaurant around, i have just asked for cordial and paid the 50p or so.
I've never known a restaurant to serve cordial, is it usually on the list where you are or is it request only?
(Original post by SoggyCabbages)
Firstly, nay.

Secondly, are the establishments allowed to charge for service?

Absolutely barmy to not be a customer of somewhere, and be entitled to free product from there.

Tap waters are also bad economically for food businesses (mainly pubs really) that are tight on profits.

I think the current law where only if the premise serves alcohol you are entitled to water is fine.
No they're not to charge, that's the point.
(Original post by Connor27)
(Original post by SoggyCabbages)
Agreed. Water bill, plus the cost of the glass, the cost of washing the glass, the cost of the staff member giving you the water.
I'm going to assume that most businesses pay water bills like we do for our house - pay a set amount for an unlimited supply. Therefore the cost of the water is not an issue. With regards to the 'vessel', I would also assume that most non-customers will just be asking for their water bottle filled (thought I doubt there are any studies on this), so that's perhaps less of an issue as well.
SoggyCabbages
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Most people don’t carry water bottles into cafes and restaurants you tool. Obviously it’s going to be mostly glasses and cups.
Rakas21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I've never known a restaurant to serve cordial, is it usually on the list where you are or is it request only?

No they're not to charge, that's the point.

I'm going to assume that most businesses pay water bills like we do for our house - pay a set amount for an unlimited supply. Therefore the cost of the water is not an issue. With regards to the 'vessel', I would also assume that most non-customers will just be asking for their water bottle filled (thought I doubt there are any studies on this), so that's perhaps less of an issue as well.
Pretty much all restaurants and bars have cordial be they for children, cocktails or just as a mixer. When I’ve needed a drink I have just walked to the bar area and asked.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (61)
23.11%
No (203)
76.89%

Watched Threads