M556 – Motion on renaming UK Sports teams, second reading. Watch

This discussion is closed.
Andrew97
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Motion on renaming UK sports teams, Baron of Sealand MP

This House believes that when our United Kingdom is represented in the Olympics, we should be rebranded as the "Team United Kingdom", or by the abbreviated "Team UK", instead of "Great Britain". The existing "Team GB" neither reflects the name of our country, nor the reality that athletes from Northern Ireland can and are represented in the team. Northern Ireland is in fact a part of the official name of Team GB, but nowhere in this branding has made that known.

This House urges Her Majesty's government to convey this proposal to the British Olympic Association for their National Olympic Committee to consider.

Last edited by Andrew97; 4 weeks ago
barnetlad
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I advise as per the first reading that I have no strong view on this. Should the House approve this motion, I will act upon this as required.
The Mogg
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Decided I will probably abstain, I don't disagree with the motion but I am much more in favour of devolved teams, as mentioned in the first reading.
shadowdweller
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I remain largely indifferent to this, though I will likely vote in favour unless there is sufficient reason not to.
CatusStarbright
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I still have no real strong preference here, which probably means I will stick with the status quo if the nations involved are happy with being 'Team GB'.
Baron of Sealand
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by CatusStarbright)
I still have no real strong preference here, which probably means I will stick with the status quo if the nations involved are happy with being 'Team GB'.
There's no opposition from any nation on this, and the only opposition comes from the BOA itself. In Northern Ireland, the DUP has put it on their manifesto for at least 2 elections as far as I'm aware, and they are currently the (joint-)largest party in the Northern Ireland assembly, heading the largest group in it (thus their leader was the First Minister)

In Westminster, the DUP won 10 (and most) seats and are currently in a confidence and supply deal with the real-life government.

Based on the conventions on parliamentary democracy, I believe these suggest that there's a democratic mandate for advocating for the change, ever though the DUP didn't win a majority in the House of Commons.
Last edited by Baron of Sealand; 4 weeks ago
Baron of Sealand
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Andrew97 Am I allowed to add notes to this without changing the content, if I send this straight to division later?

I realize perhaps it's worth noting the fact that it's actually an item on a winning manifesto in Northern Ireland and there's actually an international precedent on an Olympic name change being decided basically (as in the case in Taiwan, although people voted against it).
CatusStarbright
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Baron of Sealand)
There's no opposition from any nation on this, and the only opposition comes from the BOA itself. In Northern Ireland, the DUP has put it on their manifesto for at least 2 elections as far as I'm aware, and they are currently the (joint-)largest party in the Northern Ireland assembly, heading the largest group in it (thus their leader was the First Minister)

In Westminster, the DUP won 10 (and most) seats and are currently in a confidence and supply deal with the real-life government.

Based on the conventions on parliamentary democracy, I believe these suggest that there's a democratic mandate for advocating for the change, ever though the DUP didn't win a majority in the House of Commons.
So is there or isn't there opposition to the name being 'Team GB' from NI?
Andrew97
Rep:
?
Andrew97 Am I allowed to add notes to this without changing the content, if I send this straight to division later?

I realize perhaps it's worth noting the fact that it's actually an item on a winning manifesto in Northern Ireland and there's actually an international precedent on an Olympic name change being decided basically (as in the case in Taiwan, although people voted against it).
Yeah, I see no problem with that.
Saracen's Fez
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago

I'm not sure that it's a particularly strong argument to suggest that a DUP policy is something that necessarily has widespread support in Northern Ireland...
Rakas21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Mr Speaker, i note that there is no 'changes for x reading' section however as it is a motion i will continue to support this motion.
Andrew97
Rep:
?
(Original post by Rakas21)
Mr Speaker, i note that there is no 'changes for x reading' section however as it is a motion i will continue to support this motion.
The writer didn’t provide this. I’m happy to edit this in if sent by PM.
Baron of Sealand
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
So is there or isn't there opposition to the name being 'Team GB' from NI?
Yes. There is opposition from NI to the branding "Team GB". Hence the DUP putting the name-change on their manifestos.
Baron of Sealand
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Saracen's Fez)
I'm not sure that it's a particularly strong argument to suggest that a DUP policy is something that necessarily has widespread support in Northern Ireland...
There's no NI or a party anywhere with a manifesto pledge calling for the branding to stay. It's clearly not something Republicans feel much about, if they feel anything about it at all.
CatusStarbright
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Yes. There is opposition from NI to the branding "Team GB". Hence the DUP putting the name-change on their manifestos.
Then I'll stick with the status quo if everyone is happy with it.
Baron of Sealand
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Then I'll stick with the status quo if everyone is happy with it.
How do you interpret that as everyone being happy with it? Unionists in Northern Ireland are not a part of people?

Like I said before, this is about minority right too - gay marriage wouldn't affect the overwhelming majority of everyone, so does it mean it should never have been passed?
CatusStarbright
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
How do you interpret that as everyone being happy with it? Unionists in Northern Ireland are not a part of people?

Like I said before, this is about minority right too - gay marriage wouldn't affect the overwhelming majority of everyone, so does it mean it should never have been passed?
I apologise, I misread what you said. I'll support your motion.
Baron of Sealand
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I apologise, I misread what you said. I'll support your motion.
Thanks! Also, ultimately, this is just to express the view of the elected representatives. The BOA is still free to ignore it, just like they have ignored the former governments of Northern Ireland. This would however be a much stronger stance to urge them to reconsider, it's not forcing them to accept it.
SoggyCabbages
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Nay, this clashes with the Olympic Council of Ireland's view that they represent all of Ireland as well as the fact that NI athletes can compete for the ROI.The vast majority of NI athletes want to compete under the ROI banner anyway.

You then have the same problem again with the fact that the Crown Dependencies aren't represented in the name. It changes nothing.
Baron of Sealand
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by SoggyCabbages)
Nay, this clashes with the Olympic Council of Ireland's view that they represent all of Ireland as well as the fact that NI athletes can compete for the ROI.The vast majority of NI athletes want to compete under the ROI banner anyway.

You then have the same problem again with the fact that the Crown Dependencies aren't represented in the name. It changes nothing.
Your first part doesn't make sense, as the Republic of Ireland also maintains the whole island forms Ireland. Should UK's official name drop NI there too?

Not to mention the official name is Team GB and NI. So by your reasoning, the current official name should also be changed? UK is the name of this country and whether NI is a part of it, that fact remains true.

The Irish Olympic team and its government have never expressed an opposition to Team GB being rebranded Team UK as far as I can tell. Can you find evidence that says that's not the case?
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How has the start of this academic year been for you?

Loving it - gonna be a great year (109)
17.99%
It's just nice to be back! (163)
26.9%
Not great so far... (217)
35.81%
I want to drop out! (117)
19.31%

Watched Threads