The Student Room Group

What is actually involved in the GCSE German exam/prep advice?

Hi,
I'm doing my German AQA exam next year (I'm in year 10) and am starting revision as it's an extra GCSE for me. I've lived in Germany for 7 years and can speak it close to fluently. However, my grammar (writing-wise) is pretty rough as I haven't really used it a lot since I moved. My ML teacher at school's been helpful but hasn't really explained what I ought to expect.

Do any of you know what I should start with in terms of revision or what to expect in the exam in general? Also, as someone with prior experience, should I be worried?

Sorry if it's not that clear, I'll be happy to elaborate :smile:
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by e-o04
Hi,
I'm doing my German AQA exam next year (I'm in year 10) and am starting revision as it's an extra GCSE for me. I've lived in Germany for 7 years and can speak it close to fluently. However, my grammar (writing-wise) is pretty rough as I haven't really used it a lot since I moved. My ML teacher at school's been helpful but hasn't really explained what I ought to expect.

Do any of you know what I should start with in terms of revision or what to expect in the exam in general? Also, as someone with prior experience, should I be worried?

Sorry if it's not that clear, I'll be happy to elaborate :smile:

Hallo :smile: I think you should look up the syllabus for AQA German online - the syllabus usually outlines exactly what exams you have to take and what you have to know in order to do well! Even if you're not 100% fluent, it sounds like the speaking exam should be no problem for you as people are usually way less than close to fluent, but if you're worried about your writing skills, maybe you could get your hands on some grammar books? Or ask your teacher for books/worksheets to allow you to focus a bit more on grammar. There are also lots of resources online, maybe google/look through tumblr for GCSE German posts! Prior experience is always good, so you probably don't need to worry!
Reply 2
Original post by linda1301
Hallo :smile: I think you should look up the syllabus for AQA German online - the syllabus usually outlines exactly what exams you have to take and what you have to know in order to do well! Even if you're not 100% fluent, it sounds like the speaking exam should be no problem for you as people are usually way less than close to fluent, but if you're worried about your writing skills, maybe you could get your hands on some grammar books? Or ask your teacher for books/worksheets to allow you to focus a bit more on grammar. There are also lots of resources online, maybe google/look through tumblr for GCSE German posts! Prior experience is always good, so you probably don't need to worry!

Thank you so much for your reply! I'll make sure to try out what you suggested. Danke schön :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending