Heyheyhey5
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
I have returned to full time education as a mature student, studying Humanities Level 3 Access course, equivalent to A levels.
One of my subjects is English Literature. We have to anaylse a poem, we have been given a general idea of what to do

However i love clarity, will someone tell me exactly how to anaylse a poem? I want things to be crystal clear. I believe a big part of English Lit is reading between the lines.

So if anyone is a whiz on this subject, if you have a list or template you would kindly share with me, telling me what i need to do, I would really appreciate it
nells45581
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Here's a good list of poetic devices: https://www.vocabulary.com/lists/251961

Check through the poem to see if you can find any of those, and then once you've spotted one, consider its effect on the poem: what does it do to the mood? Does it tell you more about the subject? Does it make the poem flow more easily, or break it up, and if so, why did the poet choose to do that? Don't forget to look at form and structure too. The way a poem is divided into lines and stanzas is a great thing to talk about in an essay.
Oceanlost
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
In my English Lit A-level are teacher recommends we use the term FLIRT to help when analysing a poem.
It stands for Form/structure , Language , Imagery , Rhythm & Rhyme and Tone. If you add all those things then that should be enough to cover your analysis. Hope that makes sense ) it may be helpful look at contextual information so basically researching the Poet and they’re life and what they were writing about. However you might not have to do this because we studied two Poets over the course of the year whereas you may only have to analyse this one singular poem.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Norwich University of the Arts
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Jan '20
  • SOAS University of London
    Development Studies, Interdisciplinary Studies, Anthropology and Sociology, Languages, Cultures and Linguistics, Arts, Economics, Law, History, Religions and Philosophies, Politics and International Studies, Finance and Management, East Asian Languages & Cultures Postgraduate
    Sat, 25 Jan '20
  • University of Huddersfield
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 25 Jan '20

- Have you considered distance learning for any of your qualifications?

Yes! I'm on a distance learning course right now (6)
9.52%
Yes, I've thought about it but haven't signed up yet (5)
7.94%
No, but maybe I will look into it (15)
23.81%
No and I wouldn't consider it (37)
58.73%

Watched Threads