The Student Room Group

Homesickness not going away (third year)

I actually really enjoy uni most of the time. I just find it really hard to cope with the constant moving back and forth between uni and home, and despite being here for two years every time I cry for like a week because I miss my family so much. I get so stressed and anxious over basically nothing and it's emotionally and physically exhausting. Is there anyone else who feels like this despite being used to being away from home by now? Should I go home more or try to stay away more to get used to it?
(edited 4 years ago)
Sorry to hear that you've been so homesick. Have you made many friends at uni? If you have a support network it'll make things easier!
How long does it take for you to go home each time? Are you in a different city?
What have you been doing at uni? Have you joined any societies?
If you're doing a regular course then 3rd year should be your final year - if not you can ask about transferring to a university closer to home?
Original post by Odekadek
I actually really enjoy uni most of the time. I just find it really hard to cope with the constant moving back and forth between uni and home, and despite being here for two years every time I cry for like a week because I miss my family so much. I get so stressed and anxious over basically nothing and it's emotionally and physically exhausting. Is there anyone else who feels like this despite being used to being away from home by now? Should I go home more or try to stay away more to get used to it?

Hey,:jiggy:

I am sorry to hear you are feeling this way.

Have you tried contacting any of the student support or well-being services at the university? Most universities will have such a team that are dedicated to helping students in situations like yours. You may also have Student Resident Tutors who can help with advice.

If you live close enough to travel home on weekends this may be a good option also.

I hope this helps,
Tom :thumbsup:
Original post by Odekadek

Sorry to hear you're feeling this way @Odekadek
I think you need to do whatever is best for you, whether that's going home more or trying to get used to it more as you mentioned above.
It also helps to have a few home comforts around you in your room/accommodation to help you feel more settled and there's always Skype/Facetime!

You've made it to third year now, so you're almost at the end, stay strong and focus on why you're at university in the first place anytime your down to help you get back on track. Join a club or society to keep busy and embrace all the opportunities university has while you're still there, as it really does pass by so quickly. Your friends are also always there to speak to, and if you want someone who perhaps doesn't already know you, definitely reach out to your University Wellbeing team. They are trained professionals and will be able to offer you the best tailored advice, or just lend an ear.
Good luck :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by MirrorOfErised
Sorry to hear that you've been so homesick. Have you made many friends at uni? If you have a support network it'll make things easier!
How long does it take for you to go home each time? Are you in a different city?
What have you been doing at uni? Have you joined any societies?
If you're doing a regular course then 3rd year should be your final year - if not you can ask about transferring to a university closer to home?

I love my course and have great friends, which is the weird thing. It isn't far to go home but costs a bit. I just feel like a bit of a loser talking about it lol, and I don't want my family to worry about me. I'm usually fine after a bit of time it's just hard to adjust and I wish I could jump straight back into uni stuff without acting like a mad person for a while.
Reply 5
Original post by UniversityOfSunderland
Sorry to hear you're feeling this way @Odekadek
I think you need to do whatever is best for you, whether that's going home more or trying to get used to it more as you mentioned above.
It also helps to have a few home comforts around you in your room/accommodation to help you feel more settled and there's always Skype/Facetime!

You've made it to third year now, so you're almost at the end, stay strong and focus on why you're at university in the first place anytime your down to help you get back on track. Join a club or society to keep busy and embrace all the opportunities university has while you're still there, as it really does pass by so quickly. Your friends are also always there to speak to, and if you want someone who perhaps doesn't already know you, definitely reach out to your University Wellbeing team. They are trained professionals and will be able to offer you the best tailored advice, or just lend an ear.
Good luck :smile:

Thank you for the advice! I'm hoping maybe to do some stuff in Freshers week to find a society that really speaks to me this time. And I suppose there is always Skype, I just worry about looking like I'm struggling to my family because I don't want them to worry!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending