Megancomery16
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
So I’ve started A-Levels this week, can anyone who has previously done A-levels/ in Year 2 give me any advice on them eg with revision, how to stay on top of work etc. Also maybe some recommendations on useful websites/apps for my subjects? I am studying Law (OCR), Biology (OCR) and Psychology (AQA)

Thankyou!
Megancomery16
Rep:
?
So I’ve started A-Levels this week, can anyone who has previously done A-levels/ in Year 2 give me any advice on them eg with revision, how to stay on top of work etc. Also maybe some recommendations on useful websites/apps for my subjects? I am studying Law (OCR), Biology (OCR) and Psychology (AQA)
JH 011001
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
In your frees do your notes for every lesson, I condensed mainly the textbook info (rather than the class notes as the textbook is written officially by your exam board) onto flashcards and sorted the flashcards into topics with the topic number on each corner. i cant tell you how useful this was for revising for topic tests (please make sure you revise for these as they undoubtedly contributed to getting my A in biology). When getting tests back I would write the Q and markscheme answer onto a flashcard and add this to my topic notes or I would put a sticky note beside the info I got wrong or didnt know well enough to remind me to pay closer attention to it.
For essay subjects, essay plans are your best friend. i did mine with headers for intro, para 1, para 2 etc and had bullet points with key quotes or information I would include in this paragraph. Take essay feedback seriously and if you are unsure why you lost marks, ask your teacher to go through it with you, then you can critique it yourself and maybe rewrite some parts of the essay so you have a great template for what you could write if that Q comes up on the exam. i used quizlet for any quotes, critical analyses or statistics I needed to remember for my essay subject (english lit) and I had the app on my phone so i could just flick through it if I was waiting for the bus or walking home from school ect.
Markschemes and Specifications are key as they have all the condensed info word for word how the examiner wants it. When you feel you have revised all the content thoroughly, go through the spec with a fine tooth comb and tick what you do know and highlight what you feel you could cover again. Practice papers are great but dont use them too early as you may be limited in resources by the time you get to your exam. in bio examiners love to recycle Qs so if you have a good grasp of the style of Qs and markscheme answers then you should be good
Lastly, you dont have to work for ages every day, i would just keep up with notes and hw in frees and revise thoroughly for even small tests, take feedback seriously and refresh on your notes every so often and you will be fine! Good luck with your subjects 😀

Context: Im a 2nd year a level student and I live in NI so we still have AS levels which I got AAAA in chem, bio, maths and english lit in August. pm me if you want to talk more, im happy to help 😀
JH 011001
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Also good websites for bio are studywise a level biology and alevelbiology.co.uk and then select your exam board
JH 011001
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Oh and sorry, one more thing! When you're in lessons try your very best to pay complete attention and actively engage with the content by adding small notes to the side of your page and highlighting info. I found it helped me remember the thinfs when it came to revising because I remembered doing it in class
Megancomery16
Rep:
?
Thankyou so much! I will 100% do this!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What support do you need with your UCAS application?

I need help researching unis (21)
13.91%
I need help researching courses (8)
5.3%
I need help with filling out the application form (7)
4.64%
I need help with my personal statement (64)
42.38%
I need help with understanding how to make my application stand out (36)
23.84%
I need help with something else (let us know in the thread!) (3)
1.99%
I'm feeling confident about my application and don't need any help at the moment (12)
7.95%

Watched Threads