The Student Room Group
Students at Cornwall campus, University of Exeter
University of Exeter
Exeter

Freshers club nights

I'm not really the type of person that likes going clubbing that much. I've been twice and its been okay but its not exactly my type of fun. Will not going to clubs during freshers hinder me in making friends and will I be missing out on an important experience?
Lowkey really nervous for freshers...
Responding just because I feel exactly the same way and I'm scared I'm going to miss out on opportunities to make friends. I have terrible social anxiety too which is already one set back. Im terrified of the social side of university so much that its sucked any and all excitement about starting. I'd rather I wasn't going at all but there's no other way to do the career I want without going to university.
I can't offer help, I'm sorry, but I know how you feel.
Students at Cornwall campus, University of Exeter
University of Exeter
Exeter
Although a lot of people like to go clubbing during freshers, there are still many people who don't. Also, the only experience you will be missing out on is being hungover. The best place to start in order to meet new people is by introducing yourself to everyone in your flat/accomodation and joining societies. Once your course starts, you will be able to meet people there as well. And honestly, if you're going out every night, you'll miss a lot of the events and taster sessions going on on campus throughout the week.
try and find out what the society is for your subject - this is a great way of meeting people and they do many socials in the first week which do not include clubbing - e.g. coffee morning, BBQs, picnics etc. There is also a thing called inter-mural sport - which is where you can be in a team for your societies or subjects and it is not very competitive, just a bit of fun - e.g. netball, football, tag rugby etc. Societies are also a good way to meet not only your own year, but people above who you can ask dvice from On modules etc. each society will have a number of different Socials through the week so you can pick and choose what you want to do.
Original post by Anonymous
I'm not really the type of person that likes going clubbing that much. I've been twice and its been okay but its not exactly my type of fun. Will not going to clubs during freshers hinder me in making friends and will I be missing out on an important experience?
Lowkey really nervous for freshers...

Original post by Anonymous
Responding just because I feel exactly the same way and I'm scared I'm going to miss out on opportunities to make friends. I have terrible social anxiety too which is already one set back. Im terrified of the social side of university so much that its sucked any and all excitement about starting. I'd rather I wasn't going at all but there's no other way to do the career I want without going to university.
I can't offer help, I'm sorry, but I know how you feel.

Hello

Sorry to hear you were apprehensive for Fresher's. I hope you ended up having a great week. Did you get up to anything good that you could recommend?

I know it is a little late in the day now but there are lots of non-clubbing activities that you can get involved in. The club night’s get a lot of coverage but there are lots of other demonstrations and activates that take place throughout Fresher’s. Most societies will host a try out or meet and greet so there are lots of other ways to meet people; they are also a great way to meet like-minded people who will hopefully become great friends in the future.

I hope your first weeks of lectures are going well! Let me know if you have any other questions or concerns that I can help with.

Melody

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending