The Student Room Group

MacBook Pro vs iPad at Uni

I have a MacBook Pro already but I’m considering buying an iPad as well for uni because they’re more lightweight and accessible. However, is it worth investing in an iPad for uni? I’m in sixth form so I don’t know how useful one would be at uni... opinions / experiences?
It would be easier to take notes on an iPad as you wouldn't need to carry as many books/pens, and even if you lose your iPad you can still save your notes on icloud.

But is it really worth it when you already have a MacBook? Your bag will just be lighter.
Hi molraeh

That is totally dependent on what you use your devices for, in a nutshell.

I definitely think you made the right choice by having a MacBook Pro, that is ideal for Uni

An iPad would be great for entertainment, such as gaming, facetime, etc. But it's not really suitable to use it for Uni instead of a MacBook.

The MacBook would do everything you need it to do especially for Uni, but if your desperate for an iPad I'd recommend going for the 7th Gen iPad for around £300 so it's not eating your wallet/purse and you get the best of both worlds

EDIT: Like above poster, it would be great for taking notes too
https://www.apple.com/uk/ipad-10.2/
Reply 3
Original post by kurro
It would be easier to take notes on an iPad as you wouldn't need to carry as many books/pens, and even if you lose your iPad you can still save your notes on icloud.

But is it really worth it when you already have a MacBook? Your bag will just be lighter.

Thank you! This is v helpful
Reply 4
Original post by harrisong12
Hi molraeh

That is totally dependent on what you use your devices for, in a nutshell.

I definitely think you made the right choice by having a MacBook Pro, that is ideal for Uni

An iPad would be great for entertainment, such as gaming, facetime, etc. But it's not really suitable to use it for Uni instead of a MacBook.

The MacBook would do everything you need it to do especially for Uni, but if your desperate for an iPad I'd recommend going for the 7th Gen iPad for around £300 so it's not eating your wallet/purse and you get the best of both worlds

EDIT: Like above poster, it would be great for taking notes too
https://www.apple.com/uk/ipad-10.2/

That’s a good point, I think my MacBook would be a lot more appropriate for the work at uni and I don’t want to be eating too much into my purse! Thank you :smile:
Does macbook pro have a touch screen? The most useful thing for uni is those laptops that have a detachable keyboard and are also touch screen.
Original post by black1blade
Does macbook pro have a touch screen? The most useful thing for uni is those laptops that have a detachable keyboard and are also touch screen.

Nah that’s iPad
Reply 7
Original post by black1blade

No it doesn’t :frown: this is why I’m thinking of buying an iPad
Original post by molraeh
No it doesn’t :frown: this is why I’m thinking of buying an iPad

I would suggest a laptop being more versitile than an iPad but if you're already super intergrated into apple then idk. To be honest you'd probably be fine with just the macbook which is a "normal" laptop- no point buying iPad if you only want it for uni.
Reply 9
I have both Macbook Pro and an iPad with apple pencil. I bought the iPad pencil before the start of my 3rd year of uni (this year just gone) because of how much paper I felt like I wasted when taking notes with pen and paper.

No doubt the iPad is great and it was at the beginning of the year for me, but towards the end I stopped using it and reverted to pen and paper. It just feels more natural to me using pen and paper as I retained information better.

Apps wise, yes I had the standard YouTube and Prime Video and some educational stuff, but other than that, the iPad was mainly used for taking notes.
(edited 4 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending