Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    can anyone explain to me what hard water is? the advantages and the disadvantages of hard water? and how hard water is treated?

thx in advance...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by the_reason)
    can anyone explain to me what hard water is? the advantages and the disadvantages of hard water? and how hard water is treated?

thx in advance...
    Hard water is water which has dissolved minerals in it, specifically Calcium and Magnesium. Hard water provides a good source of these minerals and is good for you to drink, but when boiled it leaves mineral deposits (limescale) and when surfactants (detergents) are added to the water then do not foam properly. Solutions to this are the use of ion replacement (replacing calcium and magnesium with sodium) or magnetic treatments.

ReputationRep:
    disadvantages - generally waste of time, energy and money
    When hard water is heated, the carbonates precipitate out of solution, forming scale in pipes etc. They clog and narrow pipes, scale prevents efficient heat transfer, so a water heater with scale will have to use a lot of energy to give you hot water. Soap is less effective in hard water because its reacts to form calcium or magnesium compounds

advantages - some say it tastes better, Ca and Mg good for you (suposedly for those prone to heart attacks- and Ca is good for bones and teeth)

hope thats helped a bit
    xxx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by franks)
    advantages - some say it tastes better, Ca and Mg good for you (suposedly for those prone to heart attacks- and Ca is good for bones and teeth)

hope thats helped a bit
    xxx
    I think hard water tastes lovely (living in a heavily hard water area).

ReputationRep:
    hehe well... considering that my kettle is a bit scumified, i think i live in a hard water area too.... probs higly floridated aswell- tastes fine to me !!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by franks)
    hehe well... considering that my kettle is a bit scumified, i think i live in a hard water area too.... probs higly floridated aswell- tastes fine to me !!
    I really don't like the water up preston way for some strange reason, in fact I can't actually drink it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wiwarin_mir)
    I think hard water tastes lovely (living in a heavily hard water area).
    Hard water I have no problem with, flouridated and water treated with chlorine however.... Im probably just spoiled from scandinavia where they pretty much use Ozon everywhere, but I don't like the taste of halogens in my water...

ReputationRep:
    Got hard water up here, and no-one seems to like it except me. maybe because I came from a hard water area too

University open days

• University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Days - Exeter Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
  • University of Bradford
    Faculty of Health Studies Postgraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
  • Northumbria University
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.