Should we engineer the climate Watch

Holly Spence
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 months ago
Just wondering what other people’s opinions are on engineering the climate to prevent rising sea levels (eg carbon removal, cloud reflectivity enhancement, artificial brightening of sea ice). Do you think this undermines the importance of reducing our dependency on fossil fuels? I think both are important and if we’re in a climate emergency we need to do anything we can ))
dearhyacinthus
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
uh yeah i think we should do both??? the only problem might be, as you said, people getting complacent abt their consumerism because it can all be 'fixed' or whatever... also i can see it going badly if it goes on forever cause the earth needs to go through isostatic + eustatic changes... like we dont yet know the effects of preventing an ice age/warming period..
Just my opinion
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
As long as we were careful. Runaway reduced carbon in the atmosphere would kill us all quicker than run away increased carbon.
Ikeo
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
We already do on a small scale, and have the technology (in some respects) for engineering the climate over a large region/globally but not the incentive or funding to develop and implement them in practice. It's most likely because the effects of climate change are relatively gradual, so we don't see drastic changes between one short time frame to the other meaning that people don't necessarily see the devastating impacts that climate change will cause in the future. This is why groups like Extinction Rebellion want a climate emergency declared so that more will be done

I'll stop going on a tangent and move back to the question - Yes, we definitely should engineer a climate in a way that will provide the best possible environment for habitation, agriculture, wildlife etc. Schemes such as the great green wall and carbon stores are already attempting to reduce the amount of CO2 in the atmosphere but far more needs to be done, and climatic engineering alone will not be a solution. We need to adapt our practices both now and in response to the changing environment so that civilization can ultimately prevail

Also as the poster above me says, we have to do it responsibly and not abuse our power (AKA leave it to the scientists, not any governments)
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (313)
66.03%
No (161)
33.97%

Watched Threads