The Student Room Group

Is a passport necessary for university

I'm supposed to be arriving at university soon, and they ask us to bring ID documents, and specify a passport. I don't have a passport, nor can I afford one, or have the time to get one before I leave to uni. Will they accept other identity documents for example a provisional and birth certificate?
If you don’t have a passport, then they will accept other forms of ID.

It’s probably best to bring along everything you have to be on the safe side (so provisional licence, birth certificate, NI number)
Provisional alone should be fine, you can always contact the uni to double check.

I'd advise saving up for a passport and getting one when you can, it's well worth having one around as both an ID (rarely, places don't accept provisional licences or PASS, so if you haven't got your full licence you'll need a passport) and for travel.
Driving licence alone does not verify your immigration status. You'd need your birth certificate AND your driving licence for most university ID checks if you don't have your passport.

Your university should have given you details about who to contact with questions about enrolment - ring them up.
I don't think they accept drivers licenses as verification, although I'm sure a birth certificate is fine to use instead.

Quick Reply

Latest