12aliya
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi, I am from Pakistan and wanted to give UCAT next year (2020). I don't know what should I do in order to score high. Can anyone help me through this? Can anyone recommend me any book which is available to download for free? Are pastpaers enough for the preparation? Anyone from the University of Warwick?
Random_Student
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by 12aliya)
Hi, I am from Pakistan and wanted to give UCAT next year (2020). I don't know what should I do in order to score high. Can anyone help me through this? Can anyone recommend me any book which is available to download for free? Are pastpaers enough for the preparation? Anyone from the University of Warwick?
Hey! I’m assuming that if you’re doing UCAT 2020, you’ll be applying for 2021 entry? Unfortunately UCAT doesn’t have any free book but has question banks and 3 full mocks on their original website (check their website). Medify is known to be really good for UCAT and is something you have to pay for but if you wanna do well, maybe pay for it? There is also a 1250 UKCAT practice questions book available on amazon. You have to also make sure that there is a recognised centre where you can do the UCAT in Pakistan. Hope that’s enough info.
12aliya
Rep:
?
(Original post by Random_Student)
Hey! I’m assuming that if you’re doing UCAT 2020, you’ll be applying for 2021 entry? Unfortunately UCAT doesn’t have any free book but has question banks and 3 full mocks on their original website (check their website). Medify is known to be really good for UCAT and is something you have to pay for but if you wanna do well, maybe pay for it? There is also a 1250 UKCAT practice questions book available on amazon. You have to also make sure that there is a recognised centre where you can do the UCAT in Pakistan. Hope that’s enough info.
Thank you soo much for your reply. It really helped me. Moreover If give UCAT in July, will I be able to apply for 2020 entry? Why do we have wait the whole year to apply? Sorry but here in Pakistan we usually apply the same year, so I am a little curious. Yes, we have Centre for UCAT here.
Random_Student
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Thank you soo much for your reply. It really helped me. Moreover If give UCAT in July, will I be able to apply for 2020 entry? Why do we have wait the whole year to apply? Sorry but here in Pakistan we usually apply the same year, so I am a little curious. Yes, we have Centre for UCAT here.
You have until October 2 to give the UCAT for 2020 entry. In the UK we apply for medical schools on the deadline of 15th October 2019 for 2020 entry so you do the UCAT and get the results then and there and so you know your score before you apply. But as you may be aware, the UCAT is now being used in Australia so idk if the same applies there so I can only help with the UK aspect.
Random_Student
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Also, you do a personal statement, work experience and apply through ucas all by 15th October 2019 for 2020 entry.
Raza Ahmed
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
The Ukcat exam entry closes on October 15th max as all medical school / dental school applicants send off there application on UCAS by that date
Random_Student
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Raza Ahmed)
The Ukcat exam entry closes on October 15th max as all medical school / dental school applicants send off there application on UCAS by that date
Yea but you can only do the UCAT until 2nd of October. 15th of October is for sending everything off.
12aliya
Rep:
?
(Original post by Random_Student)
Also, you do a personal statement, work experience and apply through ucas all by 15th October 2019 for 2020 entry.
Thank you again. Now I get it. We have to apply the same year but we enroll for the course the next year. Is Kaplan book is good to start practicing, because I was thinking to log in medify 2 to 3 months before exam, it will be much helpful.
Random_Student
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Thank you again. Now I get it. We have to apply the same year but we enroll for the course the next year. Is Kaplan book is good to start practicing, because I was thinking to log in medify 2 to 3 months before exam, it will be much helpful.
Np! I’m not sure about Kaplan sorry! :/
Bilaal asif
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I moved from Pakistan just when I was about to give my O’level 2nd year exams. Had to do one year part time gcse programme huhh. Anyway, now I’m in Alevel final year. medify is a v good source for ukcat I used it too! But it really depends on how you handle the time pressure on the exam day cuz it’s intense !! The more timed practise you do, the better you’ll get at it.
And yes, it’s v different from Pakistan. Everyone has a different ukcat exam which seems quite weird to me when they use it for comparison. The exam is all unseen and tests your abilities like decision making skills, mathematics skills ( probability , stats) etc. As you’ve plenty of time , I suggest buy the 6 month course from medify , it really describes everything in detailed way and hopefully you’ll do really well.

Goodluck !
12aliya
Rep:
?
(Original post by Bilaal asif)
I moved from Pakistan just when I was about to give my O’level 2nd year exams. Had to do one year part time gcse programme huhh. Anyway, now I’m in Alevel final year. medify is a v good source for ukcat I used it too! But it really depends on how you handle the time pressure on the exam day cuz it’s intense !! The more timed practise you do, the better you’ll get at it.
And yes, it’s v different from Pakistan. Everyone has a different ukcat exam which seems quite weird to me when they use it for comparison. The exam is all unseen and tests your abilities like decision making skills, mathematics skills ( probability , stats) etc. As you’ve plenty of time , I suggest buy the 6 month course from medify , it really describes everything in detailed way and hopefully you’ll do really well.

Goodluck !
Thank you for your help. How much does this course cost? Did you practice through Kaplan book? If you have any material can you help me with it? And how much did you score? Sorry for bombarding questions on you but I am really worried.
Thanks!
Bilaal asif
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
The cost varies . If you book it before 7th of September it’s 65 pounds and after that it is about 85 pounds. For international students giving the exam outside UK, it’s around 115 pounds.
I didn’t use Kaplan just medify for a short period of time. Ironically , i flopped one section totally (AR) for which I practised the most but as I said , it’s just about how you control your nerves during that intense time pressure. My average was around 610. But medify has tonnes of useful questions (10k ) , full mocks, mini mocks , timed and untimed practise questions as well as learning/ advice videos basically you can just start from scratch using that. And number of people have only used medify to smash their exam ! It’s highly recommended !!
As this test is different for every single student sitting and unseen too, I don’t really have any specific material tbh. But I can definitely help you with individual sections if you’re practising.

1-For Verbal Reasoning : if you’re a reader or do loads of book/magazine reading. It won’t be an issue. You get 11 passages with 4 qs for each. Passages are about 3 paragraphs long usually and you’ve to attempt 44 qs in 22 minutes. Many people don’t perform really well in it but if you practise scanning through the text as quick as possible, it will be really handy.

2- For Decision Making , this is all about testing your decision making and intelligence skills. 29 qs in 31/32 minutes. The difficulty level i’d day is not too easy, neither too hard. It is packed up mostly with arguementative conclusions , sets questions , maybe one or two simultaneous questions qs and the list goes on.

3-quantitative reasoning . 36 questions in 24 minutes. Many people , I repeat many people fail at it continuously while revising. I was one of them too but this is the one where many surprisingly get the highest marks in the real thing. It’s all about gcse level maths. Probability questions, calculations, prices, percentage change, taxes , time conversions, currency conversions , speed, areas and volumes etc. You’ve been given passages and pieces of information and using that, you’ve to chose one of the four multiple choice options as correct. I got around 700 here and practise makes you perfect !

Note: you won’t be allowed to use your personal calculator. Instead you’ve an online calculator which you’ve to use during the exam. As it’s not that convenient and doesn’t have as many options as real calculators , make sure you use online calculator from the very beginning to get your hands on it on medify

4-Abstract Reasoning : this is one of the hardest sections but if practised properly, you can undoubtedly smash it ! It’s all about spotting patterns. 13 minutes and 55 questions might sound horrible but it’s not that bad. The thing is to make sure that you’re noting down every single pattern you go through while practising. So in the end your list will have almost all the possible patterns which are v likely to be repeated in the exam too.

SJT. Rather than the scores , you’re given bands for situational judgement. (Band 1-4). GMC magazines are v good references for that and this surely won’t be a big deal for you.

Common tips for every section : in this intense time pressure , you will never ever get every single question right or might not even get to attempt them all properly so don’t aim for that. Instead, when you’re practising , see what kind of qs are you good at and which ones you actually struggle with so you can guess and flag them , and move on to get the easier Marks first. Since every question is one mark. Finishing the exam is more important than just attempting few qs correctly and then leaving behind loads of incomplete questions. The 1250 questions book is even harder than the exam which is annoying for some people. As you’ve a lot of time, you can use other resources like Kaplan too. To be very honest , there’s not a *speicifc strategy* for doing this exam. Everyone finds different ways of tackling with the time pressure so when you’re practising you’ll definitely realise where you struggle , which qs are worth skipping (the extremely hard ones or the ones where you think you might take a lot of time for example multiple calculations/ inferences of text passages , tax related or time conversion related questions etc. The whole test is multiple choice tho and computer based. And good thing about medify is you actually get used to the real time exam conditions.

Hope that answers your questions ! If you’ve more, you may feel free to ask.
Last edited by Bilaal asif; 1 month ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Surrey
    Postgraduate Open Afternoon Postgraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Bristol
    Undergraduate Open Afternoon Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Day - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (38)
26.03%
No (108)
73.97%

Watched Threads