The Student Room Group

do you need a dbs check for every job?

or is it only for jobs where you're working with vulnerable people? when I was a design student and applied for placements, I wasn't asked for a dbs check even once I'd got accepted. I've started applying for art and design related jobs, will they ask for a dbs check or not?
Hey,

I believe DBS checks are only required when working with children or vulnerable people - I have experience working in childcare.

A job may require you to have a DBS check, but normally they would inform you of this well prior to it needing to be in place.

Hope this helped a little!

Charlie
Original post by s817
or is it only for jobs where you're working with vulnerable people? when I was a design student and applied for placements, I wasn't asked for a dbs check even once I'd got accepted. I've started applying for art and design related jobs, will they ask for a dbs check or not?

It entirely depends on the job and the company. Usually DBS checks are completed for those who work in the health and childcare sectors but I know some public sector companies do as well such as the police force.
Original post by s817

It's only for jobs where you work routinely with Children or vulnerable adults. Companies have to justify making people have a DBS check, they can't just do it on a whim. However, any organisation where an individual might have anything other than coincidental contact with children and vulnerable adults will ask for one eg the Police.

A designer is highly unlikely to need a DBS check. Even if a group of schoolkids came to visit to the office one day and you showed them around, it wouldn't fall under the DBS requirements.
Reply 4
Original post by s817

Very unlikely you would need one for the design sector.

Usually it's when there is sustained contact with people or some deep involvement in their lives, especially vulnerable people like children, sick people, people with special needs or the elderly.
So something like mcdonald's you're dealing with customers and potentially even vulnerable ones, but only for a moment. Something like a school, TSR, a care agency, doctor etc you're working with people and are around the same people for a longer time or have a more deep involvement in their lives.

That can be based on your role or your jobs location so, although a cleaner wouldn't usually require a DBS check, a cleaner at a school or hospital might because they are in a setting with vulnerable people.

It can also include jobs where you don't necessarily have much direct contact with people, but do have access to a lot of more private information. People like accountants or lawyers deal with a lot of more personal information so have that deep involvement in somebody's life even if they don't see them much more than a sales person might see a client.
It also appears that animal related jobs follow the same logic so if you've got a job that involves a lot of contact with animals (vet) that's another reason you might need one.

With a design job I immagine you might deal with customers and have people around you in the office, but you wouldn't have that deep or prolonged connection to anybody (especially anybody vulnerable). There's nothing that goes beyond customer service or a normal colleague/ peer relationship.

If any job does require a DBS check it will usually say it somewhere within the qualifications or requirements section. Some places will need other sorts of similar checks like security checks, but again they should say and I doubt design jobs usually need any extra checks if and sort.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending