Writing my personal statement the second time round? Will it result in plagiarism?

Watch
levi251801
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hi everyone,

I hope you are well! I have a question regarding writing a personal statement for my second time.

For the first time, I applied to UCAS for the 2017 entry and I attended university between 2017 to 2018. However, I left my course after first year due to health reasons at the time. Having recovered, I redid A levels in 2019 summer and now I am in the process of completing my UCAS application for the same course at different unis. Of course due to a change in my situation, I will include important information to my second personal statement such as what caused me to leave and what I learnt after leaving uni. However, I want to include a good part of my first personal statement as it includes key components that haven't changed such as why I wanted to study the same course in the first place.

Although my school is helping me with the reference, I am applying as an independent candidate and I have a different UCAS number. I was wondering if I use the some of the parts of my first personal statement into my second personal statement, will I be penalised for plagiarism as I am given a different UCAS number?

Thank you very much
Last edited by levi251801; 1 year ago
kittien9
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
hey i used my personal statement 3 times in 3 different cycles and nothing happened. I asked my exams advisor at my old college if i can use my old personal statement and she said yes thats absolutely fine, if it gets flagged up for plagiarism it'll obviously show that it was you who uploaded it first. Also my ucas id remained the same every time i applied so thats probably how they knew its mine. so yeah dont worry you can definitley use your old one
levi251801
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
(Original post by kittien9)
hey i used my personal statement 3 times in 3 different cycles and nothing happened. I asked my exams advisor at my old college if i can use my old personal statement and she said yes thats absolutely fine, if it gets flagged up for plagiarism it'll obviously show that it was you who uploaded it first. Also my ucas id remained the same every time i applied so thats probably how they knew its mine. so yeah dont worry you can definitley use your old one
Ah that's a relief! Thank you so much for the reply.

Just wondering, did your subsequent UCAS IDs change back to your original ID which you were given the first time round? I was curious because currently, I haven't sent my application yet and strangely, I have a new ID written on top of my UCAS page despite having the same personal details.
Alayna1234
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Same here I want to use my old personal statement and I know if it’s yours there’s no plagiarism obviously but I’ve got a new ucas ID
kittien9
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by levi251801)
Ah that's a relief! Thank you so much for the reply.

Just wondering, did your subsequent UCAS IDs change back to your original ID which you were given the first time round? I was curious because currently, I haven't sent my application yet and strangely, I have a new ID written on top of my UCAS page despite having the same personal details.
yes when i applied for this september i had a new id but as soon as the application was submitted i was given my old track number and id
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (140)
62.22%
I don't have everything I need (85)
37.78%

Watched Threads