The Student Room Group

Can't choose between degrees

As the title says I'm torn between degree choices. I've just done my A levels and got ABB in french, English lit and textiles so I reckon I could go to a decent uni with those grades. I'm doing art foundation at the moment in my local art college because I didn't want to rush into a degree I wasn't sure about. However, I'm starting to run out of time and I'm stuck between doing an artsy degree like architecture/fashion or a joint honours in English lit and French.
I used to be certain that I wanted to study fashion design however I've been put off by the competitive industry and the long hours of free internships I would have to do before I even get a paid job.
I then started to think about doing architecture because I like the idea of it being a course that's creative yet also academic and I think for job prospects it could be a good option. However its a very long and intense course so I think I would have to be 100% sure I would want to do it.

I loved French at a level and I like writing but I've been told by people who've done a humanities/language degree that they regret doing it because it doesn't lead to many careers. I also feel like I could learn a language in my spare time instead of doing it for a degree.

I've just started my foundation but I do find that I miss learning stuff, as nerdy that makes me sound lol. However I also feel like if I did English lit and French I was also miss being creative.

As you can see I'm in a bit of a dilemma so any advice would be appreciated :smile:
Original post by aib01
As the title says I'm torn between degree choices. I've just done my A levels and got ABB in french, English lit and textiles so I reckon I could go to a decent uni with those grades. I'm doing art foundation at the moment in my local art college because I didn't want to rush into a degree I wasn't sure about. However, I'm starting to run out of time and I'm stuck between doing an artsy degree like architecture/fashion or a joint honours in English lit and French.
I used to be certain that I wanted to study fashion design however I've been put off by the competitive industry and the long hours of free internships I would have to do before I even get a paid job.
I then started to think about doing architecture because I like the idea of it being a course that's creative yet also academic and I think for job prospects it could be a good option. However its a very long and intense course so I think I would have to be 100% sure I would want to do it.

I loved French at a level and I like writing but I've been told by people who've done a humanities/language degree that they regret doing it because it doesn't lead to many careers. I also feel like I could learn a language in my spare time instead of doing it for a degree.

I've just started my foundation but I do find that I miss learning stuff, as nerdy that makes me sound lol. However I also feel like if I did English lit and French I was also miss being creative.

As you can see I'm in a bit of a dilemma so any advice would be appreciated :smile:

K, I don’t think I’ll be able to help you much with this, as I like all these subjects too. My advice would be to choose a degree including the subjects you absolutely can’t live without, whether that is engineering or an art/ language job.
At the end of the day though, you can always do a different degree.
Bonne chance in any case
Original post by aib01

Have you looked at doing a Flexible Combined Honours degree? I know Exeter offer an interesting course: http://www.exeter.ac.uk/undergraduate/degrees/flexible/
Original post by aib01

Just going to copy/paste something I posted earlier. :rambo:

Languages are very highly sought after and eternally rewarding! I studied languages and had a great time.

My friends who did a Japanese degree have gone onto the following jobs: working in immigration offices in Japan, working in local Japanese governments such as Fukushima, Beppu and Kyoto (one such example: https://rediscoverfukushima.com/), working at the consulate general (embassy) in Edinburgh, working for the NHK (Japan's version of BBC) in both Tokyo and London, investment banking, working in Japanese translation (environmental and video games), practicing Law in Japan, working at a local sake brewery in Okayama (https://www.originsake.com/?fbclid=I...0neClapyuUuqyY), lecturing at universities in Japan and the UK and so on and so forth.

My university friends who studied French and Spanish have gone onto working at the European Parliament, investment banking, tourism and so on.
(edited 4 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending