DerKrasseKerl
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Right now I'm doing my second year of BTEC Applied science level 3 of the extended diploma. My goal is to become a GP one day however the university I would really like to go to is the university of leicester. They accept BTEC qualifications with a DDD and I'm likely to get a D*D*D since I've done very well in my first year however the problem is that there is a test that I would need to do and it's called the UCAT test. I am a bit unsure as to what this test actually is but from what I've heard it is a true/false/cannot tell paper that would need to be done. I rang the university of leicester and asked them how many points I would need. and they said I would need around 80% to get in. my concerns is just that I have just heard of that test and haven't revised for it yet besides how is the difficulty of the test? I am thinking of booking a test and revise the remaining week I have got in order to get into a university but I have a very bad feeling that I may not be able to get around 80% even if I revise very hard for a week.

I have got the GCSE qualifications for it and I'm very positive that I would get a good grade in BTEC Applied Science but then again even if I do well in it (I havent applied for university) I am unsure whether I would get in or not since I am doing a BTEC and A levels may be first choice or they may have got enough people for their course.

Alternatively I am thinking of another route, I could apply for the UCAT test in 2020 may as I would have enough time to revise for it, I could apply for universities within that year aswell. Since I am applying very early they would be likely to see my personal statement earlyso I would have a better chance to get in (deadline to apply for medicine is around 15th october 2019). That way I should be able to get into university doing with the foundation year of medicine.

I have done a bit of research to look out for other universities but UCAT seems to be a requirement that would need to be done since I called some of them and asked the same question. My grades are 5 for english language and literature, 5 for maths (F), 5-4 Science, and a pass in BTEC sport. Please let me know what the best option would be for me as soon as possible as I am stressing out over it :/
ferrus_manus
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Not having grade 6s in Math/Engl/Sci limits you from several universities, which I think you'd have to retake.

Secondly, you're gonna have a hard time trying to cram UCAT in a week if you haven't even seen the content yet, not withholding you'd want some volunteering experience on top to even be a competitive student.

Finally, I don't think any universities accept BTECs for their A100 course, so unless you want to take A-levels after your BTEC, I have no idea how anyone would get into medical school otherwise.
Ffddhbcfil
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by ferrus_manus)
Finally, I don't think any universities accept BTECs for their A100 course, so unless you want to take A-levels after your BTEC, I have no idea how anyone would get into medical school otherwise.
He literally said in his post that Leicester accept them.
Huckipity
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by DerKrasseKerl)
Right now I'm doing my second year of BTEC Applied science level 3 of the extended diploma. My goal is to become a GP one day however the university I would really like to go to is the university of leicester. They accept BTEC qualifications with a DDD and I'm likely to get a D*D*D since I've done very well in my first year however the problem is that there is a test that I would need to do and it's called the UCAT test. I am a bit unsure as to what this test actually is but from what I've heard it is a true/false/cannot tell paper that would need to be done. I rang the university of leicester and asked them how many points I would need. and they said I would need around 80% to get in. my concerns is just that I have just heard of that test and haven't revised for it yet besides how is the difficulty of the test? I am thinking of booking a test and revise the remaining week I have got in order to get into a university but I have a very bad feeling that I may not be able to get around 80% even if I revise very hard for a week.

I have got the GCSE qualifications for it and I'm very positive that I would get a good grade in BTEC Applied Science but then again even if I do well in it (I havent applied for university) I am unsure whether I would get in or not since I am doing a BTEC and A levels may be first choice or they may have got enough people for their course.

Alternatively I am thinking of another route, I could apply for the UCAT test in 2020 may as I would have enough time to revise for it, I could apply for universities within that year aswell. Since I am applying very early they would be likely to see my personal statement earlyso I would have a better chance to get in (deadline to apply for medicine is around 15th october 2019). That way I should be able to get into university doing with the foundation year of medicine.

I have done a bit of research to look out for other universities but UCAT seems to be a requirement that would need to be done since I called some of them and asked the same question. My grades are 5 for english language and literature, 5 for maths (F), 5-4 Science, and a pass in BTEC sport. Please let me know what the best option would be for me as soon as possible as I am stressing out over it :/
Yeah mate, unfortunately you're going to have to do A levels to be competitive and do extremely well (minimum AAA in Chem and Bio + one other subject), as most candidates applying will have done them as they prefer A levels over btecs. Also, I really don't want to sugarcoat it - I'm just being genuine, but judging by your gcse grades you're going to struggle massively at A level and when applying to a uni as your grades are way below the average med student. Put it this way, I got 7 As/A*s and 2Bs at gcse and my grades are classed as below average for a med student, so I need a VERY good ucat score to make up for it. Most uni's ask for at least 6s in Maths and English Language, so you've already limited your options. Of course, if you resit your gcses and do well at A level and the ucat you have a chance at getting in, however you've made it extremely tough for yourself as most uni's don't accept resits. I'd say definitely give A levels a shot if you're up for it, however don't have your heart set on medicine as if I'm being brutally honest they're unlikely to accept you. I wish you the best though!
Last edited by Huckipity; 4 weeks ago
DerKrasseKerl
Rep:
?
(Original post by Huckipity)
Yeah mate, unfortunately you're going to have to do A levels to be competitive and do extremely well (minimum AAA in Chem and Bio + one other subject), as most candidates applying will have done them as they prefer A levels over btecs. Also, I really don't want to sugarcoat it - I'm just being genuine, but judging by your gcse grades you're going to struggle massively at A level and when applying to a uni as your grades are way below the average med student. Put it this way, I got 7 As/A*s and 2Bs at gcse and my grades are classed as below average for a med student, so I need a VERY good ucat score to make up for it. Most uni's ask for at least 6s in Maths and English Language, so you've already limited your options. Of course, if you resit your gcses and do well at A level and the ucat you have a chance at getting in, however you've made it extremely tough for yourself as most uni's don't accept resits. I'd say definitely give A levels a shot if you're up for it, however don't have your heart set on medicine as if I'm being brutally honest they're unlikely to accept you. I wish you the best thoug
Well I was thinking this way: I'll do a foundation year on medicine (since I asked leicester if they would take me and they said yes), and do a UCAT but they didnt tell me the actual value of the score that I would need besides, would I still have a chance if I applied for but didnt do the UCAT test?
ferrus_manus
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Ffddhbcfil)
He literally said in his post that Leicester accept them.
Well I literally checked the Medical Schools council to be sure and I couldn't find BTECs being accepted for A100 Leicester.

https://www.medschools.ac.uk/media/2...al-schools.pdf

Could you tell me how I can apply to Leicester A100 with BTECs? I am very interested in your opinion on the matter.
Ffddhbcfil
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Well I literally checked the Medical Schools council to be sure and I couldn't find BTECs being accepted for A100 Leicester.

Could you tell me how I can apply to Leicester A100 with BTECs? I am very interested in your opinion on the matter.
I'm sorry - you're entirely correct.
He can still apply to Hull medical school though I don't know the specifics of how this all works.
DerKrasseKerl
Rep:
?

I looked on UCAS, and I also called them today just to make sure that information was correct
Attached files
Huckipity
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Well I was thinking this way: I'll do a foundation year on medicine (since I asked leicester if they would take me and they said yes), and do a UCAT but they didnt tell me the actual value of the score that I would need besides, would I still have a chance if I applied for but didnt do the UCAT test?
ucat is mandatory and to make up for your grades you'd want to be in the top 10% which would be at least 700
DerKrasseKerl
Rep:
?
ucat is mandatory and to make up for your grades you'd want to be in the top 10% which would be at least 700
But is it really that difficult as everyone saying it is?
Huckipity
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
But is it really that difficult as everyone saying it is?
Hard to say as I've yet to do it, some are more naturally better than others. People usually recommend 3-4 weeks of revise to prepare yourself for the ucat which isn't too bad.
DerKrasseKerl
Rep:
?
Hard to say as I've yet to do it, some are more naturally better than others. People usually recommend 3-4 weeks of revise to prepare yourself for the ucat which isn't too bad.
could you possibly give me any tips? like what is going to happen in there?, and whats the best way to revise for it?
junior.doctor
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago

OP is not talking about A100, they're talking about A199 at Leicester, medicine with a foundation year, for which they seem to meet the entry criteria so far - BTEC applied science and GCSEs in core subjects at grade 5 are acceptable.
OP, I assume that you have checked that you also meet the relevant widening participation criteria as well as the academic criteria.
Alexgriffindor
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I did the ukat last year and am actually starting at the university of Leicester for medicine tomorrow! I’m going to be honest that test was not fun at all. It’s seriously time pressured and it’s not only being able to do the questions but In such a way you don’t waste any time. Honestly, I think a week preparation is too short for most people. I think your best bet would be to take a year out, get some good work experience, focus on your exams then the summer before you apply spend 4 weeks on solid practice for it, as this what I did.
DerKrasseKerl
Rep:
?
(Original post by Alexgriffindor)
I did the ukat last year and am actually starting at the university of Leicester for medicine tomorrow! I’m going to be honest that test was not fun at all. It’s seriously time pressured and it’s not only being able to do the questions but In such a way you don’t waste any time. Honestly, I think a week preparation is too short for most people. I think your best bet would be to take a year out, get some good work experience, focus on your exams then the summer before you apply spend 4 weeks on solid practice for it, as this what I did.
what was the ucat score that you would need to get into university of leicester?
Alexgriffindor
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
what was the ucat score that you would need to get into university of leicester?
I’m not sure for the foundation course as I did the A100. From looking on their website it makes up 50% of the academic portion of the process, this is what you need to pass before you even get an interview.
It also says it doesn’t set a minimum score, but since it is combined with your Gcse’s you’d have to get quite high. I think 680 avg minimum possibly?? But it depends how well your year group does as well
DerKrasseKerl
Rep:
?
I’m not sure for the foundation course as I did the A100. From looking on their website it makes up 50% of the academic portion of the process, this is what you need to pass before you even get an interview.
It also says it doesn’t set a minimum score, but since it is combined with your Gcse’s you’d have to get quite high. I think 680 avg minimum possibly?? But it depends how well your year group does as well
What would be the best option for me to do now?
I really wanted to join university of leicester to do medicine (gateyear)
should I just do biomedical science and then try to move into medicine?
Alexgriffindor
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
What would be the best option for me to do now?
I really wanted to join university of leicester to do medicine (gateyear)
should I just do biomedical science and then try to move into medicine?
I think if you’re really serious about it, taking a year out and looking at your options to give yourself the best chance is what you could do. As you could apply for medicine but then as a back up apply for bioscience instead, you would be in a stronger position as you would be applying with grades instead of predicted?
DerKrasseKerl
Rep:
?
I think if you’re really serious about it, taking a year out and looking at your options to give yourself the best chance is what you could do. As you could apply for medicine but then as a back up apply for bioscience instead, you would be in a stronger position as you would be applying with grades instead of predicted?
Would it be really the best option tho? since I was thinking of taking a year out and maybe doing AS biology just because I don't have anything else to do (it will be still free for me at college), I now know about UCAT and I would be able to book it in may and take it in august (a lot of time to revise for UCAT). That way I would meet all the entry requirements but I have two questions,
1) If I do that and apply for university next year would my BTEC qualification kind of like get outdated or anything? like as in would they care that I didnt apply for university as soon as I finished btec or had my predicted grades on? so does it matter if I apply for university at a different time (1 or 2 years later?)
2) would AS biology give me a wider range of applying for different unis? since I read that some would want BTEC with an AS level (but didnt do in the same year).
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19
  • Coventry University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19
  • University of Birmingham
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19

Why wouldn't you turn to teachers if you were being bullied?

They might tell my parents (14)
6.57%
They might tell the bully (22)
10.33%
I don't think they'd understand (36)
16.9%
It might lead to more bullying (74)
34.74%
There's nothing they could do (67)
31.46%

Watched Threads