Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Please help
    Why can salbutamol be used as a pharmaceutical as a single optical isomer?
    Also, what organic product will be formed when it's reacted with K2CrO7/H2SO4 under reflux? :confused:
    Thanku x

ReputationRep:
    I can answer the first question for you, but not the second without knowing salbutamol's chemical structure.

Pharmaceutical compounds with two optical isomeric forms can cause harmful side-effects if the wrong isomer is mixed in. The correct isomer would bind with the right receptors/enzymes due to its specific shape, but the other isomer would bind to receptors/enzymes that you don't want it to because its shape is not the same. This could mean that the medicine has a reduced effect or increased side-effects.

Regarding the second question, refluxing with acidified potassium dichromate will cause it to be oxidised, but there's several different products depending on the reactant, hence I need to know its chemical structure.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by madmazda86)
    I can answer the first question for you, but not the second without knowing salbutamol's chemical structure.

Pharmaceutical compounds with two optical isomeric forms can cause harmful side-effects if the wrong isomer is mixed in. The correct isomer would bind with the right receptors/enzymes due to its specific shape, but the other isomer would bind to receptors/enzymes that you don't want it to because its shape is not the same. This could mean that the medicine has a reduced effect or increased side-effects.

Regarding the second question, refluxing with acidified potassium dichromate will cause it to be oxidised, but there's several different products depending on the reactant, hence I need to know its chemical structure.

Thankyou once again umm it's hard to show the chemical structure on here. On the left it has one carbon attached to 3 CH3 groups and a nitrogen. The nitrogen is attached to a hydrogen and a carbon. From this carbon is 2 Hs and a carbon. From this carbon is an H, an OH group and a benzene ring,and from the ring is an OH group and a carbon. From this last carbon is an OH group and two H groups. Sorry this explanation is so crappy...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lil_crazyflakes)
    Thankyou once again umm it's hard to show the chemical structure on here. On the left it has one carbon attached to 3 CH3 groups and a nitrogen. The nitrogen is attached to a hydrogen and a carbon. From this carbon is 2 Hs and a carbon. From this carbon is an H, an OH group and a benzene ring,and from the ring is an OH group and a carbon. From this last carbon is an OH group and two H groups. Sorry this explanation is so crappy...
    Okay, I think I have it... sadly I'm not totally sure of the answer I can see a two secondary alcohol groupings and one primary... in which case it might oxidise to either an aldehyde/carboxylic acid or a ketone. I did the standard OCR rather than Salters so I dunno if this is of much use.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by madmazda86)
    Okay, I think I have it... sadly I'm not totally sure of the answer I can see a two secondary alcohol groupings and one primary... in which case it might oxidise to either an aldehyde/carboxylic acid or a ketone. I did the standard OCR rather than Salters so I dunno if this is of much use.
    Iam doing OCR too, thanku for trying to help, i think i'm making it sound more complicated than it is...

ReputationRep:
    This is salbutamol, in case someone else wants to have a go at it.

I think I have heard something about an intermediate permanganate diester, which would serve as an example of chemiluminescence. Don't really know if that's the same with perchromate, though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jinsho)
    This is salbutamol, in case someone else wants to have a go at it.

I think I have heard something about an intermediate permanganate diester, which would serve as an example of chemiluminescence. Don't really know if that's the same with perchromate, though.
    Sorry ... I search the image for salbutamol on Google but ... I don't have the same image like urs

ReputationRep:
    Salbutamol is 4-(2-(tert-butylamino)-1-hydroxyethyl)-2-(hydroxymethyl)phenol, if I am not mistaken. This is exactly the picture I showed.

Here are some other pictures of salbutamol (albuterol).

ReputationRep:
    In that case I'd guess carboxylic acid will be produced. (The C-OH will be replaced by C=O(OH) )

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for all your help everyone x

University open days

• University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Days - Exeter Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
  • University of Bradford
    Faculty of Health Studies Postgraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
  • Northumbria University
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
Poll
Who do you think it's more helpful to talk about mental health with?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.