The Student Room Group

Being called ugly

I’ve been called ugly a few times in high school by both boys and girls. It hurt me so much. I’d always wonder if I was really ugly. My mom told me kids can be cruel. I haven’t bullied or made fun of anyone. I haven’t teased anyone. I minded my own business. I think the some kids who called me ugly were (1) Trying to get my attention (2) Trying destroy my self-esteem (3) Trying to fit in with the other kids (4) Trying to make themselves feel more superior than me or trying to make themselves feel better than me(5) Projecting their feelings about themselves into to me or feeling insecure about themselves and taking it out on me (6) Showing off in front of they’re friends or trying to prove to their friends that they are better than me (Most people who call me ugly said it in front of someone) Well, it depends on the gender.

Girls: They’d call me ugly because they thought they were better than me. I’d figure most of these girls have their own insecurities and avoiding their own flaws by targeting me and my flaws. By the way, they ain’t all looks themselves.
Maybe them girls are jealous of me (because I’m quiet and a good person and they’re not). (I’m a girl by the way). Girls will do whatever it takes to make themselves superior. They will gossip, trash-talk, or spread rumors about other girls or people. Sigh, girls are such drama queens

Boys: Ugh, teenage boys are just immature. They’re really shallow when it comes to liking girls. Maybe they’re looking for attention or trying to get some reaction out of me. Maybe boys call me ugly as a way of saying they don’t like me. Or maybe they already have a girl that they like. Maybe they have a girlfriend. Maybe they’re trying to figure out who to like and not like. The same thing applies to girls with guys. Maybe they really do like me and trying to hide it from everyone else. Maybe they don’t really mean it (I say stuff I don’t mean. Teens are impulsive much like children. Their brains aren’t fully developed anyways.) but they don’t realize because they’re too immature to realize. Maybe they’re only using it as an insult or maybe they were just playing around (idk)

Or maybe it’s neither of things I said and they genuinely do find me ugly.

Everyone doesn’t need to think I’m attractive but they don’t have to be rude about it. Why can’t they keep their opinions to themselves? Some Teenagers don’t know how to keep opinions to themselves. They’re just inconsiderate and not so empathetic.
Reply 1
Original post by SydWil23
I’ve been called ugly a few times in high school by both boys and girls. It hurt me so much. I’d always wonder if I was really ugly. My mom told me kids can be cruel. I haven’t bullied or made fun of anyone. I haven’t teased anyone. I minded my own business. I think the some kids who called me ugly were (1) Trying to get my attention (2) Trying destroy my self-esteem (3) Trying to fit in with the other kids (4) Trying to make themselves feel more superior than me or trying to make themselves feel better than me(5) Projecting their feelings about themselves into to me or feeling insecure about themselves and taking it out on me (6) Showing off in front of they’re friends or trying to prove to their friends that they are better than me (Most people who call me ugly said it in front of someone) Well, it depends on the gender.

Girls: They’d call me ugly because they thought they were better than me. I’d figure most of these girls have their own insecurities and avoiding their own flaws by targeting me and my flaws. By the way, they ain’t all looks themselves.
Maybe them girls are jealous of me (because I’m quiet and a good person and they’re not). (I’m a girl by the way). Girls will do whatever it takes to make themselves superior. They will gossip, trash-talk, or spread rumors about other girls or people. Sigh, girls are such drama queens

Boys: Ugh, teenage boys are just immature. They’re really shallow when it comes to liking girls. Maybe they’re looking for attention or trying to get some reaction out of me. Maybe boys call me ugly as a way of saying they don’t like me. Or maybe they already have a girl that they like. Maybe they have a girlfriend. Maybe they’re trying to figure out who to like and not like. The same thing applies to girls with guys. Maybe they really do like me and trying to hide it from everyone else. Maybe they don’t really mean it (I say stuff I don’t mean. Teens are impulsive much like children. Their brains aren’t fully developed anyways.) but they don’t realize because they’re too immature to realize. Maybe they’re only using it as an insult or maybe they were just playing around (idk)

Or maybe it’s neither of things I said and they genuinely do find me ugly.

Everyone doesn’t need to think I’m attractive but they don’t have to be rude about it. Why can’t they keep their opinions to themselves? Some Teenagers don’t know how to keep opinions to themselves. They’re just inconsiderate and not so empathetic.

Although I have never been bullied persistently touch wood, I have throughout the years received my fair share of comments here and there from boys and girls. Most of the time they would say things negative about me right in front of me - to be honest it's crap and for someone who is quite shy + quiet it's sometimes hard to defend yourself so I usually just laughed it off or pretended I never heard. Now that I am a bit older (i'm 18 and in a gap year) I've realized that some people are just simply not very nice people and will take advantage of people that are naturally shy, friendly, easy-going, quiet etc. These people are simply just thick and I often find myself feeling sorry for the people that treat me badly rather than getting frustrated at myself for not always finding it easy to stick up for myself. Stay true to yourself, you are normal, find people you like and people who appreciate you, don't be embarrassed of your hobbies, appearance and personality. I understand this is easier said than done - but like you said YOU ARE A GOOD PERSON and that's the people who can be truely happy one day. Stay strong and talk to parents/ friends and trusted adults if you ever feel alone - you can even DM me if you want! I love talking to people and helping them because I know that I have been through times where that was what I needed. :smile: lots of love
Reply 2
Original post by Sophee7
Although I have never been bullied persistently touch wood, I have throughout the years received my fair share of comments here and there from boys and girls. Most of the time they would say things negative about me right in front of me - to be honest it's crap and for someone who is quite shy + quiet it's sometimes hard to defend yourself so I usually just laughed it off or pretended I never heard. Now that I am a bit older (i'm 18 and in a gap year) I've realized that some people are just simply not very nice people and will take advantage of people that are naturally shy, friendly, easy-going, quiet etc. These people are simply just thick and I often find myself feeling sorry for the people that treat me badly rather than getting frustrated at myself for not always finding it easy to stick up for myself. Stay true to yourself, you are normal, find people you like and people who appreciate you, don't be embarrassed of your hobbies, appearance and personality. I understand this is easier said than done - but like you said YOU ARE A GOOD PERSON and that's the people who can be truely happy one day. Stay strong and talk to parents/ friends and trusted adults if you ever feel alone - you can even DM me if you want! I love talking to people and helping them because I know that I have been through times where that was what I needed. :smile: lots of love

Hi Sophee! Thanks for your response! At the end of the day, the real victims are the ones making fun of innocent people. I may not look a celebraity or a model (heck even celebs without make up look just as average as normal people), but I know I'm loved by many wonderful people. Unfortunatly, we live in a judgemental society. People are so hooked on ideals...it's sad. I blame the media for exposing ideal/fake beauty to teens. Now teens consider natural beauty "ugly". So many teen girls are inscure about their looks...They adopt the beauty ideals and resort to "mean girl" behavior. Teen boys might pick on a girl who isn't attractive to them and vice versa. I think teens focus too much on looks. I don't think they're mature enough to go past that. In my 4th class, a boy wouldn't sit by any of us girls because he though we we're "ugly". Years ago, A some boy didn't like me because I was "ugly". I told an adult and she tried to make the boy apologize but he refused too (I think he was going through a hard time or going through some sort of phase. Maybe he didn't mean it.). But yeah! I want surrond myself with postive, kind people. I'd be happy to DM you any time!
Reply 3
Hi Sophee! Thanks for your response! At the end of the day, the real victims are the ones making fun of innocent people. I may not look a celebraity or a model (heck even celebs without make up look just as average as normal people), but I know I'm loved by many wonderful people. Unfortunatly, we live in a judgemental society. People are so hooked on ideals...it's sad. I blame the media for exposing ideal/fake beauty to teens. Now teens consider natural beauty "ugly". So many teen girls are inscure about their looks...They adopt the beauty ideals and resort to "mean girl" behavior. Teen boys might pick on a girl who isn't attractive to them and vice versa. I think teens focus too much on looks. I don't think they're mature enough to go past that. In my 4th class, a boy wouldn't sit by any of us girls because he though we we're "ugly". Years ago, A some boy didn't like me because I was "ugly". I told an adult and she tried to make the boy apologize but he refused too (I think he was going through a hard time or going through some sort of phase. Maybe he didn't mean it.). But yeah! I want surrond myself with postive, kind people. I'd be happy to DM you any time!

Yes totally agree. I have had similar experiences with myself, the things they usually pointed out about me was my thick sideburns haha ( I laugh about this now) my oily skin (suffered with acne quite bad in the past) and my height (im 5'1' lol). To be honest although these things do ocassionally bother me I just try to let them go over my head. Life is unfair and frustrating sometimes - especially as a good person. Remember to live by your own morals - you are a good friendly person and that's how you will act. Make your actions allign with who you want to be - no matter the person (this can be very hard lol). Don't let rude and hostile people make you bitter and corrupt your goodness. Be the person that someone who is losing hope is looking for. Good people are stronger than rude people even if they seem timid and not as confident! I'll drop you a dm :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by Sophee7
Yes totally agree. I have had similar experiences with myself, the things they usually pointed out about me was my thick sideburns haha ( I laugh about this now) my oily skin (suffered with acne quite bad in the past) and my height (im 5'1' lol). To be honest although these things do ocassionally bother me I just try to let them go over my head. Life is unfair and frustrating sometimes - especially as a good person. Remember to live by your own morals - you are a good friendly person and that's how you will act. Make your actions allign with who you want to be - no matter the person (this can be very hard lol). Don't let rude and hostile people make you bitter and corrupt your goodness. Be the person that someone who is losing hope is looking for. Good people are stronger than rude people even if they seem timid and not as confident! I'll drop you a dm :smile:

Guess what? They got flaws too. They're just trying to avoid their own flaws. Things will bother me time to time. Sometimes I let it go, sometimes I don't. Mean people are weak-willed and feeble-minded. Deep down inside, they are depressed and self-loathing. They want to make others suffer because they are suffering. We should never let good, innocent people fall victim to that. They don't deserve it. And you are right, good people are much stronger than rude people. Rude people are cowards! :mad: By the way, I received the DM! Thanks!
Reply 5
Guess what? They got flaws too. They're just trying to avoid their own flaws. Things will bother me time to time. Sometimes I let it go, sometimes I don't. Mean people are weak-willed and feeble-minded. Deep down inside, they are depressed and self-loathing. They want to make others suffer because they are suffering. We should never let good, innocent people fall victim to that. They don't deserve it. And you are right, good people are much stronger than rude people. Rude people are cowards! :mad: By the way, I received the DM! Thanks!

Couldn’t have said it better myself!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending