dentistry personal statement help!! Watch

student27170102
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Hi,

I am struggling to start my personal statement as i can't think of how i got intrested into dentistry. I haven't had any dental work done and the reason i want to do it is because i was researching many careers after achieving good grades and dentistry intrigued me the most. It ticked off nearly all of things i wanted in a career (e.g working with people, healthcare, hands on practical etc.)
However i dont know how to say this as i dont think it is a good enough reason for wanting to do dentistry. Can anyone suggest reasons for wanting to do dentistry that you can start a personal statement with?

thank you in advance
Backwad
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Although most universities do require you to have some dental work experience, you could arrange some and include this in your personal statement. Just tell your uni's that you'll commence it after you send your application.

In a personal statement you should break it down into a few things which you want to show off:
1) Why you want to do dentistry? Let it come from the heart, don't copy anyone else because you'll get caught out by the UCAS checker. Instead, dig deep down and in a few lines try to condense where your passion stems from. Was it research? What research? Was it an experience? What experience? Go deeper into it.

2) Work experience - now this is just to demonstrate your understanding of how a dental practice is ran, because it's hard to actually know the nitty gritty details without having spent a few days at least in a dental practice for your own. As you don't have any work experience, maybe focus on other experiences such as volunteering which have allowed you to come across some of the qualities that you think a dentist has, and which you've expressed. You could also go into explaining what qualities you know dentists have, but just make sure to source where this knowledge came from.

3) Volunteering - what have you done to give back to the community? And how will this make you a better dentist?

4) Extra-curricular - do you do any sports? acting? play any instruments? This is a good chance to link your activities that you do for fun to a bit of manual dexterity

5) Any unique selling point to tell the university why they should pick you over someone else? Have you been to any research conferences etc?

6) Conclusion = wrap it all up and briefly state why the career appeals to you so much.

You probably are aware of all of this information, but if I have helped out please do leave a rep. I'd really appreciate it .
student27170102
Rep:
?
thank you thats very helpful. i have done alot of work experience at private and nhs practices as well as in a dental lab. i will be doing some in a hospital too soon. I have done 2 years volunteering and i work as a receptionist at a dental clinic. I was strugglig with the "why i want to do dentistry" bit, but i have just been honest and said i did research. How do i leave a rep? sorry not sure what it is
Backwad
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by student27170102)
thank you thats very helpful. i have done alot of work experience at private and nhs practices as well as in a dental lab. i will be doing some in a hospital too soon. I have done 2 years volunteering and i work as a receptionist at a dental clinic. I was strugglig with the "why i want to do dentistry" bit, but i have just been honest and said i did research. How do i leave a rep? sorry not sure what it is
Oh that's a lot of work experience which is brilliant!

Have you done your UCAT? What are your overall statistics like and what universities would you be interested in applying to?

With your intro you could reflect on something cool you saw on work experience that made u realise that dentistry was actually for u, because let's be honest none of us knew from the point of birth that we wanted to do dentistry, and it's most likely not going to be a eureka moment that makes you go 'this is definitely the career for me'. To understand and confirm dentistry is the right career for you, you have to really get an insight into it through work experience or explore a variety of healthcare settings eg hospital, dentist, pharmacy before making a final decision.

Again, hope this helps
student27170102
Rep:
?
My UCAT score is what lets me down. I only got 570 and Band 2😣 but my predcitions are AAA and i got all A* s in my GCSE's. I have decided to do BMAT for leeds and will also apply to sheffield Birmingham and manchester. Thats a very good idea thanks alot!
Backwad
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
My UCAT score is what lets me down. I only got 570 and Band 2😣 but my predcitions are AAA and i got all A* s in my GCSE's. I have decided to do BMAT for leeds and will also apply to sheffield Birmingham and manchester. Thats a very good idea thanks alot!
Ayy, I'm applying Manchester, Sheffield, Birmingham, Kings

My GCSEs are: 9, 9, 9, 9, 9, 8, 8, 8, 8, 7
Predicted Grades: A*A*A
EPQ: On bulimia on oral health
UCAT: 670 Band 1
Work experience: 6 weeks

Hopefully we both get interview and offers You seem like a rly cool person and i'm sure you will be fine, especially since your work experience in NHS and private settings seems to set you aside from the average person so that is a good strength to have in your application so well done for that. Make sure you reflect on it in your personal statement!! And any other questions ask hmu!
student27170102
Rep:
?
wow you did really good, well done!! I am sure you will get an offer with those grades they are amazing as well as your UCAT score.
Backwad
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
wow you did really good, well done!! I am sure you will get an offer with those grades they are amazing as well as your UCAT score.
Awwwww ty, I think you're the kindest person I've met on TSR
student27170102
Rep:
?
same goes for you! Appreciate the detailed advice
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• The University of Law
    The Bar Series: Applications and Interviews - London Bloomsbury campus Postgraduate
    Thu, 17 Oct '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19
  • Coventry University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19

How has the start of this academic year been for you?

Loving it - gonna be a great year (139)
17.77%
It's just nice to be back! (211)
26.98%
Not great so far... (281)
35.93%
I want to drop out! (151)
19.31%

Watched Threads