The Student Room Group

choosing a degree

basically like most people my age i have no idea what to do at uni, but my parents want me to apply this year, and tbh i want to apply this year. so what are the best degrees to do that might give me good career options, i’m doing english lit, history and media at a level
If you don’t know what career/degree you want to do, I would suggest taking a gap year. But if your certain about going to uni this year, then I suggest you do a subject that you love or think you’ll really like and see where it leaves you job wise. Just be aware that you may potentially waste £50,000 debt on a degree that doesn’t help you with your chosen career path.
Original post by cerysdafina
basically like most people my age i have no idea what to do at uni, but my parents want me to apply this year, and tbh i want to apply this year. so what are the best degrees to do that might give me good career options, i’m doing english lit, history and media at a level

Since the world and his wife now have degrees, I think they have been very much devalued. If you are going to spend all that money on a university education, then it is probably better to do one which is a vocational degree so you get an actual profession at the end of it. For example, nursing, surveying, teaching, speech therapy etc. Your three A levels would indicate teaching imho
Law is a possibility if you are predicted A/B grades at A level?

Although most graduate schemes are open to applicants from any degree background, and English Lit and History are both seen as solid academic subjects.
well, STEM degrees are out of question in your case and if you don't really know what you want to do, maybe go for a broad social science / humanity course, like business/literature/linguistics/psychology - those should leave a decent range of careers to go into I guess? Business would probably be best if you really have no idea, but if you want to do some sort of counselling, psychology would obviously be better, or lit/linguistics if you could imagine teaching, journalism or speech therapy (for linguistics)
(edited 4 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending