The Student Room Group

My boyfriend moving in with me at uni?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous
Well yes very glad to hear the 3rd year was alot different. Everyone deserves to feel comfortable in their home. Which is why people being selfish and doing things for their own gain, like OPs suggestion, just isn’t on. Glad you ended your uni experience on a high though

Thank you, and yes my 3rd year's deffo a lot different cause I would happily spend time in my home, instead of avoiding it !!
Reply 21
two people can't share a room built for one person, even if that person was a student. so the short answer is no. realistically, did you think you could both sign the contract? what would stop two friends then from sharing a one-person room?
Original post by Anonymous
I’m moving into the Vale Village at University of Birmingham this year for the first time and was wondering if my boyfriend could move in with me if he works somewhere in Birmingham. Are the uni ok with that/him staying every night?

Each university will have their own rules for guests, but him staying every night (or basically moving in) will most definitely not be allowed. Like the other posters have mentioned, if you want to live with your boyfriend, you could look into finding private accommodation for the two of you.
This person has clearly not read their contract which very explicitly states the 2 night maximum guest rule for accommodation on The Vale.
place a pillow by the wall
Original post by fefssdf
I would just wake up at say 10am, have some food, then head out and grab some cheap stuff in sainsbury's on the way to campus and then basically just stay on campus from around 11-9/10pm each day so that I could avoid my housemates.

oof the same thing happened to me
Original post by leiecon
Is this post a joke? Of course your BF can't stay FOR FREE at the expense of your flatmates. Your flat mates pay a higher price specifically because there are FIVE people in the flat. If your BF is the 6th, then the other FIVE should pay 1/6 LESS than their current payment. Plus its not fair that your BF take space up , such as fridges, toilets and bathroom etc. If I was your flat mate, I would report you as soon as I can. Grow up, you're going uni not there to start a family

"You're not going to uni to start a family" LOL love it!
not allowed
Wow just read the replies.. I'm not with him anymore but it wouldn't have been a financial issue for my other flatmates since we all have a fixed contract. The price wouldn't go up for them?
Also, I don't agree with the argument that it's just a pain for him to be there - doesn't uni mean that the more people there are the better? Or are you all just complete introverts and hate the idea of meeting new people?
The thing is none of them said they are introverts. I've read the replies and I have not seen anyone saying they are introverts and is against meeting new people so please do not make lies up.

You said you read the replies. If you have read it you would see that most of the replies are about the fact that both you and the other flatmates are PAYING the rent to the university to live there, whilst your (ex) bf moves in RENT FREE. Do you understand that? If I was living in halls and my flatmates had bf's or gf's from before uni, I have no probs with them visiting (for example) for 2 days a week but if they do not go to the university. But move in permanently then yes I'd have a problem because that person is basically living RENT AND BILLS FREE which is not fair as I and the rest of the people living here are PAYING and they might as well be signing on at benefits, whilst living in a university halls of accommodation and how do I know that person is not here to steal my stuff if they are living rent free? Also the problem is the fact your bf would not have, nor would he be given the access key to the building so he would have to wait for you to be able to get back into your room and causing problems having to constantly asking someone to let him in. People would start to get annoyed that there is one person not contributing to the rent or bills. Theres a difference between someone visiting maybe once or twice a week and basically moving in permanently.

Also how would you explain that to security or even the university if and when they find out? Because somewhere down the line someone will definately grass you up and whistleblow the situation to the university, that there is someone not studying at the university, who moved in permanently to the halls of residences. How are you going to explain that to the university when they find out? Is your argument going to be (and to quote you) "are they all just complete introverts and hate the idea of meeting new people?" or to use your other "defense" (and to also quote you) "doesn't uni mean that the more people there the better?" Er but he is not studying at the university is he? You said in your first post he is/would be getting a job near the university, that means whilst you live on your student loans (and be in the same boat as everyone else) there will be one person who is in full time employment and living rent and bills free. In the eyes of the university that is not "the university gets more people the better". The more people at university = the number of people ENROLLED/STUDYING at that specific university.

That is what everyone is saying, or do you not understand that at all?

If you wanted to live your bf, many universities (that I looked at) have studio rooms or 1 bed flats designed for those who do not want to share with others etc, maybe that would have been a better place for you if that is what you were planning to do, if you were in those university "studio" halls of residence then yes by all means it wouldn't bother other people as much as when you are sharing everything else with them like kitchen/bathrooms/communal areas, but the studio accommodations, you still have to follow the university rules. The rules are there for a reason. You may not like them but its there for a reason. If you don't like it TOUGH.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending