Art a-level but I haven’t done it for my gcse?

Watch
Gracierose15
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I have been interested in and enjoyed art my entire life and I think I’m mildly talented at it, my year 8 teacher told me to choose art but by mistake I chose a different subject and never fixed it, I’m going to be finishing year 11 soon and I wanted to know if I could choose art in my a-levels even though I haven’t done it for gcse? Or if it would be a giant mistake? I’ve always loved it and I’d be willing to make the time for it, but I’m not sure if I should, anyone have some advice?
MedApplicant1307
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Gracierose15)
I have been interested in and enjoyed art my entire life and I think I’m mildly talented at it, my year 8 teacher told me to choose art but by mistake I chose a different subject and never fixed it, I’m going to be finishing year 11 soon and I wanted to know if I could choose art in my a-levels even though I haven’t done it for gcse? Or if it would be a giant mistake? I’ve always loved it and I’d be willing to make the time for it, but I’m not sure if I should, anyone have some advice?
From what I know, a level art is a LOT of work. I actually did art gcse and I loved it and I would have loved doing it for a level but it just wouldn’t have been practical as I know that I want to do medicine in the future and art would have been a time consuming subject that I don’t need. Also, as far as I’m aware, if you haven’t done art for gcse you usually need to have a portfolio of some kind to be able to do a level art. This might be pretty time consuming. At the end of the day it’s your decision and also depends on your other subjects and how important art is to you. One thing that made me feel better about not doing art a level was that I knew I could at least paint in my own free time as a hobby. Hope this helps!
absolutelysprout
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
art a level is a TON of work so you need to make sure you're genuinely interested and enjoy the subject. schools will have different requirements when it comes to doing a level art but as said above, most would be happy if you had a portfolio of art as evidence (which can be time consuming to create in the midst of gcses, so bear that in mind)
lilTrain
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
lmao im exactly same as u. was told to do GCSE art but didn't, glad i didnt though since my friend complained so much about it lol. tho i hear its a lot of work especially at A level and can mean less time to study for other subjects, also its subjective, so i ended up not choosing it for A level mainly since art is a hobby u can always do it in ur own time and no point studying unless u want a job in it or dont know what to do for ur 3rd subject. all A levels are hard though so if u really enjoy it then just go for it! plus it seems u got a whole year to prepare for it incase u do wanna do it
Scotney
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Gracierose15)
Not a problem not having done gcse as long as you realise the amount of coursework involved. Try to skill up on still life drawing and life drawing in this year. What are you hoping to do after A level.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (50)
31.65%
No - I have already returned home (20)
12.66%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (33)
20.89%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (14)
8.86%
No - I live at home during term anyway (41)
25.95%

Watched Threads