How to start a clothing business (please help )

Watch
This discussion is closed.
username4936736
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
So I’m wanting to start a clothing business , I wanted to know which is the best way to get the products . I obviously want very specific clothing which I don’t think I will find at wholesalers so what other way can I get clothing , I was thinking of getting them made , do you think it’s a good idea and do you think it will be more cheap or more expensive. It’s because I want to be in control of the fittings and the length and other things . Also I will be starting with £60,000 which I'm not sure is a good amount for a business. Would appreciate your advice and what you think .
cheesecakelove
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Nouri7389292)
So I’m wanting to start a clothing business , I wanted to know which is the best way to get the products . I obviously want very specific clothing which I don’t think I will find at wholesalers so what other way can I get clothing , I was thinking of getting them made , do you think it’s a good idea and do you think it will be more cheap or more expensive. It’s because I want to be in control of the fittings and the length and other things . Also I will be starting with £60,000 which I'm not sure is a good amount for a business. Would appreciate your advice and what you think .
Another way to get clothing is by thrifting - look at getting good pieces from charity shops, second hand stores, eBay or Facebook Marketplace. You can either sell them as they are or upcycle them to fit your brand/theme.

Getting clothes made ensures that all stock will meet your requirements, but you have to consider the costs. If you want to go down this route, ensure you do your research and compare quotes. Prices of manufacturing should be reflected in the price you sell your clothes for to ensure good profit margin (if it costs more to make, you should sell for more, but obviously you should reduce manufacturing costs as much as possible without having a big impact on quality).

Advertising is going to be important for you to get your business out to customers and to have a chance of competing with other stores. If you are looking to sell online, this will reduce things like rent and business rates if you were to open a brick store, but consider there are many clothing businesses selling online, so you have to make your name known! Ideas to consider are social media - promote on Facebook and Instagram. If you have happy customers, ask them to leave a review or post a photo of them wearing your clothes online. You could consider special promotions e.g. 10% off, but take care when doing so in terms of how it affects your finances.
username4936736
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
(Original post by cheesecakelove)
Another way to get clothing is by thrifting - look at getting good pieces from charity shops, second hand stores, eBay or Facebook Marketplace. You can either sell them as they are or upcycle them to fit your brand/theme.

Getting clothes made ensures that all stock will meet your requirements, but you have to consider the costs. If you want to go down this route, ensure you do your research and compare quotes. Prices of manufacturing should be reflected in the price you sell your clothes for to ensure good profit margin (if it costs more to make, you should sell for more, but obviously you should reduce manufacturing costs as much as possible without having a big impact on quality).

Advertising is going to be important for you to get your business out to customers and to have a chance of competing with other stores. If you are looking to sell online, this will reduce things like rent and business rates if you were to open a brick store, but consider there are many clothing businesses selling online, so you have to make your name known! Ideas to consider are social media - promote on Facebook and Instagram. If you have happy customers, ask them to leave a review or post a photo of them wearing your clothes online. You could consider special promotions e.g. 10% off, but take care when doing so in terms of how it affects your finances.
Helpful advice thank you
gandalfslipper
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
A lot of research will be needed. See if you can get some help from a local University/College if you are a member they usually have enterprise sections or places to help aspiring entrepreneurs.

Making your own clothing will require some trial & error and costs from shipping going up if from abroad due to brexit & Covid.

Ran bit of a printed garment & drop ship company for a few years and it was quite difficult at first to build a brand, a market and make things to sell , that people want to buy not just what you think they would.

Best advice is to get advice from local business leaders, network and entrepreneur groups
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made your mind up on your five uni choices?

Yes, and I've sent off my application! (150)
54.74%
I've made my choices but havent sent my application yet (38)
13.87%
I've got a good idea about the choices I want to make (31)
11.31%
I'm researching but still not sure which universities I want to apply to (26)
9.49%
I haven't started researching yet (16)
5.84%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (13)
4.74%

Watched Threads