The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry

Scroll to see replies

Rosie151

The girl who failed is not allowed to do resits and has to leave.

What!?! I thought they could only recommend leaving then could chuck you out after failing September resists. One girl from my hall has to resist every exam...wonder how likely she is to be back in October....

PS to all those panicing they will be resitting loads/forced to leave, don't worry you have to really not work at all to be in that position. There is also nothing wrong with having to resit, I know someone doing 3 resits for exams he got 37-39% in (you have to get 40% to pass). Its easier with an extra 3 months to learn it, rest and good food, and only 3 exams.
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry
Yeah I wasn't actually worrying about the social life, but it does sound like more work than I was expecting. But I still don't know what working will be like without 2 other subjects to worry about.
What are the grade boundaries like for uni work? I've never actually understood the uni grades, but reading through I'm guessing its 1,2, and 3 with 1 as highest, and you get two of them, like 1,1 or 2,1 or something. Just wondering because 80% has been said to be high a few times so I'll have to get used to that. I generally panic in an exam when 2 questions seem hard.
Also I've seen some questions out of a past "Vectors and Matrices" paper that was on some of the notes posted here, and I could already do a few which was encouraging. Only the stuff covered in FP3 mind you.
The grades for maths at Warwick are:

1st: 70% average and above
2.1: 60-69%
2.2: 50-59%
3rd: 40-49%
Pass: 35-39%
Fail: 0-34%
Reply 83
princess1729
What!?! I thought they could only recommend leaving then could chuck you out after failing September resists. One girl from my hall has to resist every exam...wonder how likely she is to be back in October....

PS to all those panicing they will be resitting loads/forced to leave, don't worry you have to really not work at all to be in that position. There is also nothing wrong with having to resit, I know someone doing 3 resits for exams he got 37-39% in (you have to get 40% to pass). Its easier with an extra 3 months to learn it, rest and good food, and only 3 exams.

You can only resit a max of 4 and she failed so badly that if she gets 100% in all 4 she will still not pass the year. Hence, she is technically allowed to resit but it is essentially pointless as she cannot pass.

Yeah, sorry if I scared people - resitting a couple of exams is not a problem at all - many people do it and still do extremely well. This girl was a rather extreme case - very bright, came here and thought she could breeze through by doing no work, did no work and consequently failed. If you work, you WILL get through, honestly!
Reply 84
benwellsday
Yeah I wasn't actually worrying about the social life, but it does sound like more work than I was expecting. But I still don't know what working will be like without 2 other subjects to worry about.
What are the grade boundaries like for uni work? I've never actually understood the uni grades, but reading through I'm guessing its 1,2, and 3 with 1 as highest, and you get two of them, like 1,1 or 2,1 or something. Just wondering because 80% has been said to be high a few times so I'll have to get used to that. I generally panic in an exam when 2 questions seem hard.
Also I've seen some questions out of a past "Vectors and Matrices" paper that was on some of the notes posted here, and I could already do a few which was encouraging. Only the stuff covered in FP3 mind you.

Yes you will need to get used to assigning the label "excellent" to 80%, unlike A-Level. This is perhaps the hardest thing to adjust to, I'd say your expectations should be lowered by 10% or so.

As for V&M, well this is a 5 week course in term one which serves to "level the playing field" - i.e. so many people seem to be lacking in knowledge of planar geometry and matrices that this course basically covers the content of the FP modules. For "proper" maths in this field (if you'll excuse the pun) see MA106 Linear Algebra.
Reply 85
coffeym what did you get in yer first year?
I know what you mean, I haven't looked, and I'll be surprised if I can work it out if I did. My maths teacher had apparently said to my parents that I'd find the first year of uni easy, and now they won't listen to me when I try to tell them that the only advantage I have with further maths will be covered in the first term. Anyway I'm kind of out of questions. Actually, after these tests you get all the time how long before you're told the results? I can't really guess at it, theres less people but the work is of a higher level, so marking could take more, less, or the same amount of time.
Reply 87
Totally Tom
coffeym what did you get in yer first year?

91.79%, you?
Reply 88
benwellsday
I know what you mean, I haven't looked, and I'll be surprised if I can work it out if I did. My maths teacher had apparently said to my parents that I'd find the first year of uni easy, and now they won't listen to me when I try to tell them that the only advantage I have with further maths will be covered in the first term. Anyway I'm kind of out of questions. Actually, after these tests you get all the time how long before you're told the results? I can't really guess at it, theres less people but the work is of a higher level, so marking could take more, less, or the same amount of time.

The tests at the start of term are marked within a couple of weeks and the scripts are returned to you by your tutor.

Multiple choice tests for Foundations, V&M and Number Theory vary...Foundations are usually put up on Mathstuff quite promptly, but Number Theory took about 9 weeks, and V&M took half a term (they are given to you at the same time as the results for the two exams you sit in January).

Actual exams: results are released Thursday week 10 of the third term, which works out at about 2 weeks after your last exam. No 2 month wait like A-Level...:smile:
Reply 89
coffeym
91.79%, you?

He's not at university yet. Well done on your results by the way, very impressive.
Reply 90
Krush
He's not at university yet. Well done on your results by the way, very impressive.

Lol I just noticed he started this thread...what an idiot I am :P

Cheers.
Reply 91
coffeym
Lol I just noticed he started this thread...what an idiot I am :P

Cheers.

No problem, did you come top of your year?
Reply 92
coffeym
91.79%, you?

Tom is impressed.

Congratulations :smile:
Reply 93
Totally Tom
Tom is impressed.

Congratulations :smile:

But no, not top of the year :mad:
Reply 94
Are there many of you trying to meet the AAAA offer for maths?
I'm going for the AAAA, maths, further maths, physics and chemistry, but I did STEP I and II aswell just in case. Don't think I revised enough for them to be honest but I've never been through a paper and a mark scheme and checked my marks with a boundary, so I won't know. Chemistry was the pain, my average UMS with past papers was about 490, and I messed up the easy one so I had to work double hard for the two papers I didn't like.
If I meet neither offer I'll be a bit dissapointed.
If I meet both on the other hand, celebration time!
I'm going for AAAA too, but sat STEP I as well. I also think I'm likely to miss the AAAA offer on chemistry, it'll be a bit hit and miss as to whether I get an A, and I'm not sure if I got a 2 in STEP either, so I'll be a shame to miss both offers.
Reply 97
good luck to all of you!
Just thought I'd post something I saw Dave Wood on a Facebook group: If he can be bothered, they're gonna get rid of the Inequalities diagnostic test and restrict the number of resits you can do to just the one. Apparently the number of attempts allowed to pass was counter-productive, given that a significant number of people then couldn't integrate 1/(1-y^2) in his Diff Eqns exam, or something like that.

The key part of the above paragraph is "if he can be bothered". I'd revise tha inequalities hard this summer, kids :p:
JohnnySPal
Just thought I'd post something I saw Dave Wood on a Facebook group: If he can be bothered, they're gonna get rid of the Inequalities diagnostic test and restrict the number of resits you can do to just the one. Apparently the number of attempts allowed to pass was counter-productive, given that a significant number of people then couldn't integrate 1/(1-y^2) in his Diff Eqns exam, or something like that.

The key part of the above paragraph is "if he can be bothered". I'd revise tha inequalities hard this summer, kids :p:

I'm surprised they're even considering getting rid of the inequalities test, given how many people had trouble with what really should be quite simple questions back when I was in first year. Does the new A-level syllabus have more focus on them or something?

Oh, also, is Letters to a Young Mathematician on the reading list? If not, I recommend getting it anyway. It's written as a series of letters from Ian Stewart to a girl as she grows from a sixth form student considering taking maths to a maths researcher, and it really explains what "real" maths is all about.

Latest

Trending

Trending