MelanieRose93
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
I’ve been to an open day today and spoken to student finance advisors, who have confused me more about what and how much student maintenance loan I would/could be entitled to.

My current situation is working, living with a partner who also works in a jointly owned mortgaged property and has a daughter from a previous relationship who does not live with us.

When I start university I will no longer be working so our income will dramatically reduce, so from what I understand I will have to ask student finance to do a same year tax assessment.

However, as we are not married and as my partner is not willing to financially support me through university why would his income be taken into account? Student finance told me that even if we were to separate as we own a house together he would be expected to support me.

Student finance also do not take into account that he pays child maintenance every month!

He earns just over 35,500 a year, possibly near 38/39 with shift uplifts. But he will be maintaining the whole house on his own (mortgage/council tax/bills) when I go to university, which is why he is unable to financially support me.

Also, he’s not my dad he says so why should I be his financial problem - which I agree with. I’m 26 so I partly class as independent, it’s just the living with a partner but that is really confusing the situation.
Last edited by MelanieRose93; 4 weeks ago
SFE Chanel
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by MelanieRose93)
I’ve been to an open day today and spoken to student finance advisors, who have confused me more about what and how much student maintenance loan I would/could be entitled to.

My current situation is working, living with a partner who also works in a jointly owned mortgaged property and has a daughter from a previous relationship who does not live with us.

When I start university I will no longer be working so our income will dramatically reduce, so from what I understand I will have to ask student finance to do a same year tax assessment.

However, as we are not married and as my partner is not willing to financially support me through university why would his income be taken into account? Student finance told me that even if we were to separate as we own a house together he would be expected to support me.

Student finance also do not take into account that he pays child maintenance every month!

He earns just over 35,500 a year, possibly near 38/39 with shift uplifts. But he will be maintaining the whole house on his own (mortgage/council tax/bills) when I go to university, which is why he is unable to financially support me.

Also, he’s not my dad he says so why should I be his financial problem - which I agree with. I’m 26 so I partly class as independent, it’s just the living with a partner but that is really confusing the situation.
Hi,

Students who are over 25 are classed as independent. As your status would be 'living with partner' we would require your partners income details to support your application regardless if he financially supports you or not.

We do not take your income into account so whether you work or not, we would not need to know and therefore would not request the current year income figure unless your partners income has dropped from the tax year in question.

Thanks, Chanel
MelanieRose93
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
(Original post by SFE Chanel)
Hi,

Students who are over 25 are classed as independent. As your status would be 'living with partner' we would require your partners income details to support your application regardless if he financially supports you or not.

We do not take your income into account so whether you work or not, we would not need to know and therefore would not request the current year income figure unless your partners income has dropped from the tax year in question.

Thanks, Chanel
Thanks for the reply Chane,

What if we were to separate- therefore no longer living with partner but living with an ex partner/friend but while I’m at university having it as my forwarding address as we own the house together.

Also does it take into account that he pays child maintenance to his ex partner.
SFE Nihad
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by MelanieRose93)
Thanks for the reply Chane,

What if we were to separate- therefore no longer living with partner but living with an ex partner/friend but while I’m at university having it as my forwarding address as we own the house together.

Also does it take into account that he pays child maintenance to his ex partner.
Hi there,

You will need to show proof of the separation. Do you have anything which would confirm this?

Regards,
Nihad
MelanieRose93
Rep:
?
I have no proof of separation but I also have no proof we are a couple. Again, does student finance take into account that the person I live with pays child support.
MelanieRose93
Rep:
?
(Original post by SFE Nihad)
Hi there,

You will need to show proof of the separation. Do you have anything which would confirm this?
I have no proof of separation but I also have no proof we are a couple. Again, does student finance take into account that the person I live with pays child support.
SFE Tegan
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Hi Melanie,

We don't take into account that the person you live with pays child support.

You can contact us through Facebook or Twitter to request a Marital Status Declaration Form which will allow you to explain your circumstances in as much detail as you can with any evidence you think would support this.

This will be reviewed by the assessors who will use their discretion over whether this is acceptable.

Thanks, Tégan
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Midwifery Open Day at Portsmouth Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19
  • Teesside University
    All faculties open Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19
  • University of the Arts London
    London College of Fashion – Cordwainers Footwear and Bags & Accessories Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19

How has the start of this academic year been for you?

Loving it - gonna be a great year (131)
17.99%
It's just nice to be back! (197)
27.06%
Not great so far... (263)
36.13%
I want to drop out! (137)
18.82%

Watched Threads