The Student Room Group

EPQ ideas?

Hiii I've just started thinking about my EPQ and I'd like to do one to do with English Literature as I love it and hope to do it at university. I've had the idea of doing something to do with Gothic literature and how writers use the different aspects of Gothic writing, but I'm not sure how to title it...

I know it's a very basic idea at the minute, but do you think this could be manageable? Also, if anyone has any ideas as to what the title could be or what you would definitely include I would be so so grateful because I've spent ages trying to think of something and everything Ihave come up with just doesn't sound right.

Thank you! x
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. :frown: Are you sure you've posted in the right place? :smile: Here's a link to our subject forum which should help get you more responses if you post there. :redface:
Hey - I did an EPQ last year relating to English Lit so hopefully I can help.
(My question was focused on if The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time lessened autism stigma for some context).
I'd say you need to focus on something you are passionate so you can keep the interest going for the time the EPQ takes and that you are going to enjoy studying in depth.
The more niche the question the better in my opinion. I originally was going to focus on loads of books to see how disability representation in literature had evolved over time but my Supervisor advised me that any conclusions I could draw could be disproven by linking to another book I hadn't read (if that makes sense) so therefore I'd say stick to one book with a to what extent question or possibly do a comparison question between two texts.
Thirdly, you're gonna need to be able to research the area you look into so maybe explore any debates within Gothic literature. One way to do this is to go on the website JStor as this has academic articles (perfect to use in your project) and gives you access to 6 free articles every month. Read a few and see if any arguments interest you or you disagree with and voila you have a debate.
The thing about the EPQ is you kind of need a question you can argue both sides for to evidence your research skills and to prevent a narrative account.
I don't know the most about Gothic literature but one aspect that would interest me is something like Is Shelley's Frankenstein a Gothic novel? as with this you could argue whether it can only be categorised as science fiction and explore the Gothic elements (notably the setting to counter)
Hope this helps :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by jennifugh
Hey - I did an EPQ last year relating to English Lit so hopefully I can help.
(My question was focused on if The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time lessened autism stigma for some context).
I'd say you need to focus on something you are passionate so you can keep the interest going for the time the EPQ takes and that you are going to enjoy studying in depth.
The more niche the question the better in my opinion. I originally was going to focus on loads of books to see how disability representation in literature had evolved over time but my Supervisor advised me that any conclusions I could draw could be disproven by linking to another book I hadn't read (if that makes sense) so therefore I'd say stick to one book with a to what extent question or possibly do a comparison question between two texts.
Thirdly, you're gonna need to be able to research the area you look into so maybe explore any debates within Gothic literature. One way to do this is to go on the website JStor as this has academic articles (perfect to use in your project) and gives you access to 6 free articles every month. Read a few and see if any arguments interest you or you disagree with and voila you have a debate.
The thing about the EPQ is you kind of need a question you can argue both sides for to evidence your research skills and to prevent a narrative account.
I don't know the most about Gothic literature but one aspect that would interest me is something like Is Shelley's Frankenstein a Gothic novel? as with this you could argue whether it can only be categorised as science fiction and explore the Gothic elements (notably the setting to counter)
Hope this helps :smile:

Thank you so much! ❤️

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending