elliemcbay
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Just noticed there hasn't yet been a thread made for this subject (as far as I'm aware...) so here we go!

This is my first time doing modern studies since second year as I was recommended by my higher history teacher. What are everyone's thoughts on the course so far?
xBeccaPx
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I like learning about the different topics however the essays are just too much
kawaii_panda101
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
hey, I really need help on techniques for learning the modern studies assignment to write up in class. I'm finding it so hard to remember all 2,000 words.any tips for memorising would be appreciated!
And how's modern studies going for everyone else?
agirlcalledtheo
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
(Original post by elliemcbay)
Just noticed there hasn't yet been a thread made for this subject (as far as I'm aware...) so here we go!

This is my first time doing modern studies since second year as I was recommended by my higher history teacher. What are everyone's thoughts on the course so far?
I am crashing Modern Studies this year and it is surprisingly easy! All the information is new to the rest of the class as well and i have gotten nearly full marks on all the essays even though they are riddled with errors.
My teacher talks a bit too much and it can get quite boring!
What is everyone doing for their international issue? We are studying south africa.
agirlcalledtheo
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
(Original post by kawaii_panda101)
hey, I really need help on techniques for learning the modern studies assignment to write up in class. I'm finding it so hard to remember all 2,000 words.any tips for memorising would be appreciated!
And how's modern studies going for everyone else?
Are you guys doing a report? Whats your topic?
We have ours in January so plenty time to prepare.
kawaii_panda101
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by agirlcalledtheo)
Are you guys doing a report? Whats your topic?
We have ours in January so plenty time to prepare.
Hey! Sorry I am so late to responding but my topic was Obesity in the UK. We did our final write up mid-November and it was awful, I wish I had until January but I got through it and managed to remember pretty much everything! What is your topic?
Labrador99
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
How's everyone getting on with modern studies? Feeling ready for the prelim?
Rossi71
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
Not at all! I think the sources will be my saving grace hahah. I'm crash highering it this year and its a lot more difficult than I imagined, so, if anyone has any tips or trick they are much appreciated.
xBeccaPx
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by Rossi71)
Not at all! I think the sources will be my saving grace hahah. I'm crash highering it this year and its a lot more difficult than I imagined, so, if anyone has any tips or trick they are much appreciated.
I agree! The essays are so hard and time is so tight - source questions are gifts right now
Labrador99
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by spotandpatch)
I'm crashing this course and it's going fairly well, but I've never actually done an assignment before and I'm not sure what to put on the source sheet. Can I put information or should it just be statistics, and how many different sources should I use?

Has anyone got any advice they can share with spotandpatch ^ ?
Rossi71
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by Labrador99)
Has anyone got any advice they can share with spotandpatch ^ ?
Hiya we were told to use 6-8 sources and you have to use all that are on your sheet or you get penalised. You can have other info on the sheets tho as long as it isn’t sentences of part of your report as they then think you are just copying. It can be both sides of an A4 bit of paper. I hope this helps
Labrador99
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Hiya we were told to use 6-8 sources and you have to use all that are on your sheet or you get penalised. You can have other info on the sheets tho as long as it isn’t sentences of part of your report as they then think you are just copying. It can be both sides of an A4 bit of paper. I hope this helps
Thanks for sharing this! spotandpatch, see above
spotandpatch
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Thanks! I'm considering switching topics because I'm not doing very well with the one I've chosen, but I don't know if it's too late. We're doing the assignment at the beginning of March
Rossi71
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by spotandpatch)
Thanks! I'm considering switching topics because I'm not doing very well with the one I've chosen, but I don't know if it's too late. We're doing the assignment at the beginning of March
I think if y are struggling with the topic change it as long as you are willing to put in the work for the new topic cause it’s going to be a quick turn around but the assignment is important and if you like the one you are doing you will write better about it.
Carleendolan
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by Lucyy26)
Hello! I am doing a crash higher in modern studies this year and I'm finding it okay so far but I don't think that'll last long ahaha
Really struggling with higher modern studies if anyone has any sample essays/ mindmaps or anything could they send them to me I am currently doing democracy in Scotland/uk, social issues and the USA
Labrador99
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by Carleendolan)
Really struggling with higher modern studies if anyone has any sample essays/ mindmaps or anything could they send them to me I am currently doing democracy in Scotland/uk, social issues and the USA
:wavey:

I've just moved your posts into the equivalent discussion threads for this year (they had been put in the old versions), so hopefully someone will be able to help Check out this thread for all of the exam discussions for this year
Carleendolan
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by Labrador99)
:wavey:

I've just moved your posts into the equivalent discussion threads for this year (they had been put in the old versions), so hopefully someone will be able to help Check out this thread for all of the exam discussions for this year
Thanks a lot! Didn’t even realise
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (187)
14.08%
I'm not sure (59)
4.44%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (390)
29.37%
I have already dropped out (37)
2.79%
I'm not a current university student (655)
49.32%

Watched Threads