Dhhdndjdjjdjd
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
What features of glycogen make it useful as a storage molecule in a muscle tissue?
would the answer be how it is very branched so it has a large surface area meaning it can be hydrolysed faster and the glucose produced would mean respiration could occur quicker
sambridge
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Dhhdndjdjjdjd)
What features of glycogen make it useful as a storage molecule in a muscle tissue?
would the answer be how it is very branched so it has a large surface area meaning it can be hydrolysed faster and the glucose produced would mean respiration could occur quicker
Yeah basically, but it's not the increased surface area - it's the increased number of terminal glycosidic bonds (bonds at the end of a chain). This means more glucose can be released from hydrolysis which can be used for cellular respiration.
Kallisto
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Dhhdndjdjjdjd)
As sambridge replied before: glycogen is able to make many glycosidic bonds what leads to a long-chain polysaccharide with many glucose molecules as monomers which can be hydrolyzed. In other words: glycogen is a great energy supplier for metabolisms (glucose is involved in these processes). That is useful and very important at the same time.
TheVirtualPhoton
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Also think about its solubility. Glycogen is insoluble so it does not affect the water potential of the cell and therefore doesn't cause osmosis-related damage.
Kallisto
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by TheVirtualPhoton)
Also think about its solubility. Glycogen is insoluble so it does not affect the water potential of the cell and therefore doesn't cause osmosis-related damage.
That is really a good consideration: as glycogen is not soluble, it has a good property to be storaged in the muscle tissue.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (172)
44.22%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (43)
11.05%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (32)
8.23%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (83)
21.34%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (37)
9.51%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (22)
5.66%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise